Reviews Categories | Transmitters: Commercial/Military/Marine adaptable to ham use | Motorola/Mobat Micom-2E HF ALE Transceiver Help

Reviews Summary for Motorola/Mobat Micom-2E HF ALE Transceiver
Motorola/Mobat Micom-2E HF ALE Transceiver Reviews: 11 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $5260. PLUS
Description: The Micom-2EF is a desktop front panel DSP controlled radio with embedded ALE. It is fully compliant with FED-STD 1045 and MIL STD 188/141A and meets the MIL 810 STD. The radio supports voice, data, e-mail and fax solutions. Lightweight and compact, the radio is designed to operate under tough environmental and physical conditions.
More info: http://www.Mobat-USA.com

You can write your own review of the Motorola/Mobat Micom-2E HF ALE Transceiver.

W2DB Rating: 5/5 Feb 13, 2015 10:31 Send this review to a friend
Micom-2  Time owned: more than 12 months
I just can't fault these radios. I have several. With some software from another ham made a home made control head for the headless ones. I run one at home and one in my SUV, there using a 2265 tuner with coax output to a 40m hamstick, not optimal at all, but most of what I want is 40 and 60 so this does fine. The squelch is fantastic and the noise blanker is great. Power out good, can be set on freq easily. No VFO knob, right. But when I turn it on I set two things: step size to 1 khz, and mic clip to on. Audio reports are always great. ALE works fine but beyond trying it have not yet found a use yet. HF Selcall, which I now know is different from aero selcall, not sure it does that. But really, very solid, unbeatable, tough. Neil mentions rx bandwidth, but the "E" models have 3.3, 3.0, 2.7, 2.1, 500, 250 bandwidths. -GeorgeC W2DB near Austin, TX

VE7AXY Rating: 5/5 May 20, 2014 08:52 Send this review to a friend
workhorse hf rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
This radio is NOT for the ham who enjoys dx, scanning bands etc. due to the lack of VFO and many other knobs, menus, or functions.

However, if you enjoy using a commercial radio, mil specs, want to get into hardware ALE, selective calling, Pactor with SCS modem and RMSExpress, check in on fixed frequency nets, MARS, etc. the Motorola Micom 2TS or 2RS is a good choice as a strong, and reliable HF transceiver.

I use the 2TS in my car, in combination with a Micom auto tuner F2265a and SGC203 9ft antenna. As a mobile, I can do HF SSB, ALE, and when needed, I plug-in into the back connector of the Micom body a SCS DR7800 HF modem with Bluetooth connection to the laptop sitting on the front seat for Pactor Winlink email. Body and modem are fixed in the trunk of the vehicle.

I have a couple Micom 2RS, one used in go-kit and the other at the QTH or in the truck.

As mentioned, although not for everyone, these radios are hard to beat if your needs are similar to mine.

Lastly, the learning curve for operating is quick and with the software/RS232 the radio can easily be customized, programed, and even controlled by the PC.
JC
VE7OI/VE7AXY/CIW227

K7NG Rating: 4/5 Oct 30, 2013 11:29 Send this review to a friend
Good HF performer  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
For Hams who don't intend to use the hardware ALE or who don't intend to put a lot of frequencies in the 200 available memories, I'd say this radio isn't for you.

The radio isn't very big, and has excellent display and control button features. It does NOT have a VFO knob, and tho it has up/down arrows and selectable step sizes it is NOT a radio you might want to use as your primary mobile HF for casual operating.

On-air SSB checks with a couple people who were Navy radio ops say it has (with the stock mic) the somewhat nasal, in-your-face, TX audio quality characteristic of military SSB. The receive is every bit as sensitive, and at least as selective, as any ham transceiver.

If you intend to use this radio as it was intended, as a member of an ALE net (or nets), there might not be a better choice. The number of soundings received, the number of callsigns not garbled, and the scanning, appears to run rings around software-driven ALE, at least compared to my TS950-SD using software ALE. Data transfer and jumps to proper channel for traffic is flawless. Also top-notch is the squelch: ham rigs should have such a squelch for SSB!

As mentioned by others, the radio gets quite warm just receiving, much less transmitting, and I thought that laptop-cooler tray idea was a great one, I'm doing the same thing.

It's a 4 vs a 5 because you really can't set up ALE or scanning without the RSS software.

KQ1Y Rating: 5/5 Oct 12, 2012 10:01 Send this review to a friend
Great solid radio, ALE performance great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I picked up a 2ES with a 3F front panel from Ebay for $1200 as about the cheapest way to get into Hardware ALE, however have since grown to love the rugged Micom.

The 3F front panel gives you nothing over the standard 2ES - I guess there was a run on headless 2ES and 3F panels were available. The 2ES appears to have the later ALE standards, which means I can run multi-net on both multiple MARS and Amateur ALE nets. It seems to not screw up callsigns when calling stations which is a plus :)The unit arrived way off on frequency, and I ended up sending to Mobat/Elbit in VA to be checked out. They adjusted/calibrated the freq ref for me for free and shipped it back, outstanding service.

It runs hot - even when sounding once per hour (in multi, probably 20+ channels its sounds on), with no cooling fans the outside case gets too hot to touch. I had to run a fan on it, but I just received a laptop cooling tray which the Micom nicely sits on. If you turn the laptop fan-tray around backwards, you can angle the radio screen towards you. It runs nice and cool.

Programing ALE from the front panel is fairly easy, though you need the manual the first few times to understand the parameters that are abbreviated to 4 characters. I do occasionally use it in frequency mode, as I'm mostly on set frequencies (e.g. 14.300 or MARS) I've no need to twiddle a VFO knob.

Entering AMD messages is a pain, as I'm sure it is with all Hardware ALE solutions, though maybe sometime a true 3F is in my future that has the plugin USB keyboard.

Biggest issue for me is sound card interfacing as has a differential audio I/O - and I have standardized on USB Signalink. You cannot use the Signalink with additional isolation transformers as the audio path gets attenuated too much. Currently have an old Signalink in pieces while I cut out the isolation transformers then rewire with a differential radio interface.

I'm running 24x7 ALE from the Micom into a 160ft Cobra Dipole with a LDG autotuner. I have a TD90 T2FD to put up, and maybe able to take the tuner out of the loop.

All in all, a great, robust, do-enough radio for what I wanted. This is not an amateur radio with hundeds of menu items or knobs to twiddle.

Tim

K9CTB Rating: 4/5 Jan 23, 2012 18:20 Send this review to a friend
Micom 2BF - Selcall Only  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I'm actually reviewing my Mobat Micom 2BF, which is not hardware ALE enabled, but there's no category for it. If this is an issue fellows, please feel free to remove this review.

I acquired the Micom 2BF on a whim. I was looking for something compact that I might be able to run mobile for MARS use or something I could use in a channelized mode for ALE (using PC-ALE) or a message forwarding system like BPQ. All of these were options, but my wallet is not the fattest one around, so choices were limited. My unit was an e-bay purchase that totaled $500 and included the radio, power cable and microphone.

I've been a Motorola fan for a long time, having been "brought up" on Motorola VHF and UHF FM gear by one of my greatest mentors when I was a young pup in the navy. I had never had any experience with Motorola HF gear other than a Micom S that I used for HF packet with great results.

My $500 got me ONLY the basic radio. The Micom 2BF is "B" for "basic" and "F" for front panel, as opposed to a trunk mount system they also manufacture. Luckily, I got both USB and LSB as well as AME and CW (if you work at it). An RS232 interface is a $170 option, which I am still awaiting delivery of ... 2 months now. Motorola is great gear imho, but they are NOT FAST. If you ordered a hamburger from Motorola, you'd starve.

So using the Micom 2BF as a basic SSB transceiver for MARS, 20 and 40 meter phone nets and even some sound card tests has been pretty positive. The Micom 2 (and 3) series are real Software Defined Radios. And this is my one and only beef, and why I gave the 2BF a "4". The receiver filtering is very limited. There is no "tailoring" the receive audio at all. But the transmitted signal is "NTIA compliant" in terms of being 2.4KHz wide. To me, the receive audio just isn't, for lack of a better term, "friendly". The Micom series (except for the Micom H), was meant for business, and although it is adaptable for amateur use, there are restrictions, such as no access to the filtering, (other than changing between 3KHz and 2.4KHz), and no VFO knob, that make this rig a solid "4". For reliability and heavy business use, I'm sure the radio deserves a "5", but not compared to what modern amateurs want and how well other manufacturers have addressed these desires.

K9CTB

KJ4AYT Rating: 5/5 Sep 20, 2011 09:50 Send this review to a friend
ALE the way it should be !  Time owned: more than 12 months
Great radio with great accessories. Use it alot in ALE on the ham bands.

KF4EJS Rating: 4/5 Sep 6, 2007 21:49 Send this review to a friend
Good Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This seems to be a pretty good radio. We have it as part of a FEMA radio set up which it seems to work well. It is in a go pack with everything. No problems to report from this rigs so far.

KQ6XA Rating: 4/5 Jul 29, 2005 17:28 Send this review to a friend
Good ALE Automatic Link Establishment transceiver  Time owned: more than 12 months
This transceiver is a good choice for ALE Automatic Link Establishment communications. There are quite a few Amateur operators using this radio for ALE. The recent flash upgrades in software enable new features that facilitate programming of the ALE functions on the fly by the front panel. A group forum for Amateur ALE, Amateur Radio ALE Automatic Link Establishment, which also covers ALE with the Micom 2E Micom 2R and other similar models is HFLINK group. The HFLINK website to join the Automatic Link Establishment group is: http://hflink.com/automaticlinkestablishment/index.html
or

N4EKW Rating: 5/5 Apr 3, 2005 20:50 Send this review to a friend
First totally "software defined" ALE radio.  Time owned: more than 12 months
This radio is sold by Motorola, but actually made by Mobat USA. Wonderful radio that can be "flashed" to upgrade it as new features are developed. Lots of configurations as shown on www.mobat-usa.com . They sell direct!

KA5DVI Rating: 5/5 Sep 7, 2003 20:47 Send this review to a friend
Works Well  Time owned: more than 12 months
Been using them for 4 years as disaster recovery backup communications for control room operation. Range of 1000 miles on the average, between 4 sites in the southwest US. Antenna system is a NVIS. ALE works better than a FAX. No down time on any unit.