Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Radio Shack HTX-100 Help

Reviews Summary for Radio Shack HTX-100
Radio Shack HTX-100 Reviews: 34 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $269.95
Description: 10 meter CW/SSB mobile transiever

You can write your own review of the Radio Shack HTX-100.

W4KYR Rating: 4/5 May 16, 2017 08:10 Send this review to a friend
If you can buy it for under $100 then get it..  Time owned: more than 12 months
The HTX-100 sold for $259 and it was Radio Shack's first effort into the Amateur Radio marketplace.

Originally it was produced shortly after the "Novice Enhancement" in 1987 which granted Novices and Technicians voice privileges on 10 meters. The radio was released at the right time. (Just like it's cousin, the HTX-202 when it was released around the time of the advent of the "No Code" license.

The HTX-100 has no LSB, AM or FM. If you want those then get the HTX 10. But the HTX-100 is a good overall performer for it's price range (and limitations). If you find one in good condition and working for $100 and under, buy it.

Several of us back in the early 1990's used these radios to practice Morse Code (after the band closed up at night). We used to have a local net and send code back and forth to each other and then switch to SSB to compare notes. It worked, it helped get our speed up to 13 wpm to pass the General Class code test.

W4KVW Rating: 4/5 May 15, 2017 13:59 Send this review to a friend
Not Bad for a mono bander   Time owned: more than 12 months
I like the HTX-100 just fine but after also picking up the HTX-10 I clearly like the HTX-10 much better because it is pretty close to a Perfect 10 meter mobile.I don't use CW so having that is of no interest to me.The HTX-100 does not allow Split operation nor does it have AM or FM so I found the HTX-10 as a much better choice for my operating choices.FM repeaters & AM portion of the band along with USB on 10 meters is a BIG PLUS with the HTX-10 so consider that when considering which you would prefer.

KM4LLN Rating: 5/5 Jul 6, 2015 05:40 Send this review to a friend
Built like a tank  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got one of these as a teenager. My interests turned elsewhere and it was put up. I held on to it because I'm a little bit of a packrat. Twenty five years later, I'm getting back into ham radio. I pulled it out, and it still powers on, even after multiple moves.

When the band is open, it works like a champ. I've worked Japan from Southern California on this. Great bang for your dollar. Controls are simple enough that you almost don't need the user manual. This is just an all-around great rig for someone new to ham radio or who doesn't need a lot of bells and whistles.

KB7ZNV Rating: 5/5 Sep 4, 2014 18:43 Send this review to a friend
HTX-100  Time owned: more than 12 months
It's a simple Rig to operate, and, it's a good one.
Nice clear sound and it' was one of Radio shacks better products.

KK9H Rating: 5/5 Mar 5, 2013 05:42 Send this review to a friend
Fun little rig  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
When 10 meters is open, this is really a fun little rig to use. Even when the band isn't open, I've had several local QSOs with it.

Several years ago someone donated an unused HTX-100 to our club for the annual auction, at the time I wanted to build a 10 meter beacon so I set it aside for that purpose. While setting it up with a CW controller, I had a chance to play with it on the air. I had so much fun using it that I decided to try to find one for myself. You can hear this rig on 28.297 using the call NS9RC and it has been running continuously for over 10 years now.

Recently someone had another HTX-100 for sale so I bought it. The first thing you need to get used to is the tuning is in 100 Hz steps, but with the RIT, that really isn't a performance issue. The receiver hears just as well as my larger Icom HF rig and the selectivity seems to be quite good on SSB. I assume that it uses the same filter for CW, so don't expect high performance on CW during a contest. None the less, it works pretty well on CW and I've had some nice CW QSOs. It does not have a built-in keyer so you will have to add your own. The tranmitter measures an honest 27 watts out in high power and 5 watts in low power. I discovered that the frequency was about 450 Hz below what was indicated, but a simple tweak of and internal pot put it right on frequency. Transmitted audio is perfectly fine on SSB and I have had good audio reports on the air.

I will be driving to Dayton with some friends this year and I plan to put the HTX-100 in the car for the trip. Since I already have a Larsen mag-mount, I bought one of their NMO34 coils and 64" whips which when used with the shock spring puts the antenna's resonance right in the middle of the 10 meter band. I am hoping 10 meters is open during the trip so we can have some fun with this rig on the way. If you are interested in a fun rig that is really easy to use, the HTX-100 is a pretty good choice.

N8SUT Rating: 4/5 Aug 13, 2012 13:26 Send this review to a friend
Simple and Gets the Job done well.  Time owned: more than 12 months
If you want a fancy radio with lots of features and filters, this isn't it. Simplicity is the key here and it just works. I have owned a few of these rigs now and, for the most part, they are tough as nails. I really like them.

The receiver seems to be fairly sensitive and the sound from the internal speaker is good. On transmit, I get decent reports from the stock mics. I currently have two htx-100's that work great and see some regular use. One of them I keep in the shack and the other I use as a portable. I am about to replace the portable with another ts-480 just to expand my band options a bit. That being said, I find 10 meters fun and having a 10 meter only rig sort of forces you to challenge yourself on less than ideal days.

VE3GON Rating: 4/5 Apr 2, 2012 04:40 Send this review to a friend
Brand new in the box...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Found one brand new literally factory mint in a box in my friends barn. Am in the process of checking it out and I sure hope it works. It came from an estate sale and was never used. The only thing not working is the mic.

WA5RR Rating: 5/5 Dec 8, 2011 18:09 Send this review to a friend
Old Reliable  Time owned: more than 12 months
I owned one of these simple workhorse rigs back in the early 90's. Now, 20 years later, I was looking for a solution to get on 10-meters using QRP power levels. There are few QRP kits out there for 10m but I found a great deal on an HTX-100. It just so happens that you can operate at 5-watts when on LOW power on this rig. Perfect!

Selling the original radio was a mistake but I'm glad I found another one! It is no-frills but gets the job done.

AE5RC Rating: 5/5 Dec 4, 2011 06:42 Send this review to a friend
20+ years old and still working..  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had the HTX 100 since 1990 and have used it as a mobile and as a base radio. Currently it is on the desk (beside my HF rig) connected to an Imax 2000. I use it weekly on a 10 meter talk around group. It still works great. I have made DX and stateside contacts with this radio, always getting good reports. The output of 25 watts usually does the job. It will allow you to work cw just fine. I have considered selling this radio but I think I'll hang on to it and continue to enjoy my 1st Novice HF radio. Radio Shack had a good item when this was on their shelves. If you find one for sale get it. This radio provides lots of fun.

DAVER Rating: 5/5 Nov 9, 2011 08:00 Send this review to a friend
Great simple rig!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got my HTX-100 3rd (or 4rth) hand recently because the band was coming alive and wanted to check it out. The rig is as simple as it gets (not in a bad way) and very easy to use. While 25w doesn't seem like a lot... On 10m it does the trick. With the band how it is now you can easily work DX all day long.

The SSB and CW filters are actually better than I anticipated as well. If you can get one for a deal they are well worth it.

Dave, KD2AKC