Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Radio Shack HTX-100 Help

Reviews Summary for Radio Shack HTX-100
Radio Shack HTX-100 Reviews: 34 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $269.95
Description: 10 meter CW/SSB mobile transiever

You can write your own review of the Radio Shack HTX-100.

K7UNZ Rating: 4/5 Sep 1, 2011 12:12 Send this review to a friend
Nice Li'l Rig  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Had one in my S-10 Blazer in 1990, and used to spend lunch break working 10M CW in the parking lot. Propagation was good back then, and I could work EU in the mornings, and Asia/Pacific/SA in the afternoons. Mind you, that was with a less than optimal 10M vertical bolted to the tire carrier.
Don't remember why I sold it, but I've just added another to the collection. Same Blazer, still have the antenna, so in it will go!
Fun radio with surprising performance.

ONAIR Rating: 5/5 Aug 14, 2011 20:45 Send this review to a friend
Great little radio for the money!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Picked one up used several years ago for only around $75. Hooked it up to an A-99 antenna, and have had really wonderful results! It is amazing what this little radio can do when the band is open, and it's also been great for making local 10 meter contacts. It can be a really inexpensive way for those new Hams to get onto 10 meters HF.

KI6NCU Rating: 5/5 Aug 8, 2011 21:59 Send this review to a friend
Great little radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have had my HTX-100 for about a year. 10 Meters has not been as active as I would like but I have worked stations all over the South Pacific, and North America, on 25 watts and a rigid dipole pointed roughly SW to NE. It's clearly a no frills radio but I always get great audio reports. It's simple to use and as a tech who doesn't really have a huge desire to ragchew on the lower bands this is a great radio for the occasional 10M opening. I had an IC-718 previously that I had to let go and contacts that I had made on the 718 could not tell the difference.

AD7JR Rating: 4/5 Feb 26, 2010 11:40 Send this review to a friend
Simple mobile DX  Time owned: more than 12 months
If you are looking for a plug and play 10 meter transceiver, I don't think you could find a better one. Excellent value for the money. I worked a LOT of mobile DX back in the late '80's when the solar index was up. It'll come again and if you invest $50 or so now, you'll be set for mobile DX when it does. There are some interesting mods that can be done to it if you are so minded. It doesn't have a lot of adjustments, which are nice if it's in a base station, but are pretty much useless if you are driving.

KC7LVR Rating: 5/5 Jun 2, 2009 07:48 Send this review to a friend
Radio Shack HTX-100  Time owned: more than 12 months
I also own a Radio Shock HTX-100 and find it a great 10 meter Transceiver . And Better Than the newer HTX-10 a El Cheepo rice box Transciver.

KM5VI Rating: 4/5 May 11, 2009 15:31 Send this review to a friend
10m Fun  Time owned: more than 12 months
The several reviews here tell the story like it is, this is a fun little 10m monobander that is basically no-frills but has enough performance to get the job done. I acquired my unit 3rd hand for $100 as a novice many years ago to complement my CW only rig. This radio made a lot of phone contacts on 10m and certainly many were DX. If you are new to the HF bands, 10m generally does not require a lot of power, so the 25w output of the radio is usually adequate. Reliability wise, the only problem encountered to date has been that the microphone element failed about 5 years ago. Both Kenwood and Alinco microphones seem to be direct plug in replacements. For the record, I believe the unit to be approaching 20 years old. A good used HTX-100 represents a very inexpensive way to get onto the 10m band.

K5PEW Rating: 5/5 Sep 19, 2008 12:01 Send this review to a friend
Low cost and capable  Time owned: more than 12 months
A good radio for the $75 I paid on eBay.

I did the audio output mod and got excellent audio reports. It worked a bunch of US states and Canada, Hawaii, Argentina, Brazil, Rarotonga, Costa Rica, Honduras, Chile, and others from Oklahoma with very simple antennas at the rock bottom of the solar cycle.

The antennas I used with it include a 10 meter Double Bazooka at 16ft, a 5/8 Ringo at 5ft, and a speaker wire 1/4GP at 6ft (with the ends of the radials touching the ground).

Lots of the contacts were made on Winter Es and I was able to work pretty much any station I could hear, even with a severe antenna disadvantage.

Is this the best radio on 10 meters? No.

Is the Fun/$ ratio high? Yes!

The finals went SK after countless brutal sessions of tuning into experimental antennas, but that's my fault.

WD9CVP Rating: 4/5 May 29, 2008 22:18 Send this review to a friend
Good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had this radio for a few months now and you get what you pay for.This is not and never was a full feature hf rig.
If you can buy one at a good price so the fun to money ratio is high I would say do it.
After playing with it a few weeks I put it in line as a ten meter beacon and it has ided every 15 seconds for the last six weeks and it never gets hot at the five watt level.
So far so good ?

KG4CLD Rating: 4/5 May 4, 2008 19:01 Send this review to a friend
Still going strong.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased my HTX-100 back in 1988 just before entering the U.S.Army. I liked its small size, simple functions, and because it operated on 12 VDC, which makes it extremely portable.
I took my HTX-100 with me all over the world, operating it whenever possible. Korea, Germany, Hunduras, and Guantanamo Bay, Cuba (US NAVAL BASE). I still use my HTX-100 today. I wont tell you your going to make 500 contacts each time you turn it on, but when you do make contacts, there long and enjoyable.

W6PMR Rating: 2/5 Oct 5, 2007 12:30 Send this review to a friend
Cheap but not great !  Time owned: months
Bought it on the close-out table at Rat Shack for $39:95. CW is kind of a pain. At forty bucks it's just OK to play with as the band is so poor right now.
If you pay any more than 40 bucks for this rig you got ripped, as that is what RS blew them out for new. I sold mine at a local flea fest for 30
bucks.
And thats about what they are worth. Paul.