Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Radio Shack HTX-100 Help

Reviews Summary for Radio Shack HTX-100
Radio Shack HTX-100 Reviews: 30 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $269.95
Description: 10 meter CW/SSB mobile transiever

You can write your own review of the Radio Shack HTX-100.

KC7LVR Rating: 5/5 Jun 2, 2009 07:48 Send this review to a friend
Radio Shack HTX-100  Time owned: more than 12 months
I also own a Radio Shock HTX-100 and find it a great 10 meter Transceiver . And Better Than the newer HTX-10 a El Cheepo rice box Transciver.

KM5VI Rating: 4/5 May 11, 2009 15:31 Send this review to a friend
10m Fun  Time owned: more than 12 months
The several reviews here tell the story like it is, this is a fun little 10m monobander that is basically no-frills but has enough performance to get the job done. I acquired my unit 3rd hand for $100 as a novice many years ago to complement my CW only rig. This radio made a lot of phone contacts on 10m and certainly many were DX. If you are new to the HF bands, 10m generally does not require a lot of power, so the 25w output of the radio is usually adequate. Reliability wise, the only problem encountered to date has been that the microphone element failed about 5 years ago. Both Kenwood and Alinco microphones seem to be direct plug in replacements. For the record, I believe the unit to be approaching 20 years old. A good used HTX-100 represents a very inexpensive way to get onto the 10m band.

K5PEW Rating: 5/5 Sep 19, 2008 12:01 Send this review to a friend
Low cost and capable  Time owned: more than 12 months
A good radio for the $75 I paid on eBay.

I did the audio output mod and got excellent audio reports. It worked a bunch of US states and Canada, Hawaii, Argentina, Brazil, Rarotonga, Costa Rica, Honduras, Chile, and others from Oklahoma with very simple antennas at the rock bottom of the solar cycle.

The antennas I used with it include a 10 meter Double Bazooka at 16ft, a 5/8 Ringo at 5ft, and a speaker wire 1/4GP at 6ft (with the ends of the radials touching the ground).

Lots of the contacts were made on Winter Es and I was able to work pretty much any station I could hear, even with a severe antenna disadvantage.

Is this the best radio on 10 meters? No.

Is the Fun/$ ratio high? Yes!

The finals went SK after countless brutal sessions of tuning into experimental antennas, but that's my fault.

WD9CVP Rating: 4/5 May 29, 2008 22:18 Send this review to a friend
Good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had this radio for a few months now and you get what you pay for.This is not and never was a full feature hf rig.
If you can buy one at a good price so the fun to money ratio is high I would say do it.
After playing with it a few weeks I put it in line as a ten meter beacon and it has ided every 15 seconds for the last six weeks and it never gets hot at the five watt level.
So far so good ?

KG4CLD Rating: 4/5 May 4, 2008 19:01 Send this review to a friend
Still going strong.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased my HTX-100 back in 1988 just before entering the U.S.Army. I liked its small size, simple functions, and because it operated on 12 VDC, which makes it extremely portable.
I took my HTX-100 with me all over the world, operating it whenever possible. Korea, Germany, Hunduras, and Guantanamo Bay, Cuba (US NAVAL BASE). I still use my HTX-100 today. I wont tell you your going to make 500 contacts each time you turn it on, but when you do make contacts, there long and enjoyable.

W6PMR Rating: 2/5 Oct 5, 2007 12:30 Send this review to a friend
Cheap but not great !  Time owned: months
Bought it on the close-out table at Rat Shack for $39:95. CW is kind of a pain. At forty bucks it's just OK to play with as the band is so poor right now.
If you pay any more than 40 bucks for this rig you got ripped, as that is what RS blew them out for new. I sold mine at a local flea fest for 30
bucks.
And thats about what they are worth. Paul.

VE1IO Rating: 4/5 Jun 8, 2006 14:48 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio, good price  Time owned: more than 12 months
Purchased this radio when Radio Shack was trying to get rid of them. Got it for a good price. Operated in the Canadian winter with no problems at all. Made several USB QSO's and a couple of CW QSO's. Can't complain about it much since the price was so good and I have had zero problems with it. Did the mod for 35 watts and it works great. Stays cool all the time for me.

AE5X Rating: 5/5 Dec 4, 2005 06:43 Send this review to a friend
Excellent radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have 2 of these rigs, purchased a few months ago on eBay. One is in 24/7 beacon operation & the other is my mobile rig.

Ten meters isn't in very good condition right now but periodic openings have allowed me to work plenty of SSB DX in Europe and Africa while driving. My beacon operates with an output of 5 watts CW and reports have been received from 5 continents - all this during the low part of the solar cycle.

No problems with either rig - they are definitely keepers.

John AE5X

KM5TC Rating: 5/5 Jul 25, 2005 10:16 Send this review to a friend
Great  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had three of these 10 mtr monobanders.
The one I own now is in my Dodge truck using a
Wilson 1000 antenna.
I like the qrp of 5watts simply pulling out the
knob or the 25watts leaving it pushed in.

Audio is always clear, and comments from other
operators speak of good signals and clear audio
on their end of our qso's

With the cycle as it is, not much activity on
10 at present, but when it's there, this is a
fun band to be on.

Good radio if you want a monobander, and usually
selling at decent prices, get one, you won't regret it. 73's KM5TC

VK3ALE Rating: 5/5 Jul 24, 2005 16:12 Send this review to a friend
Great Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
Having always been a fan of 10M (and previously 11M :)) I got my first HTX100 back in 1993 not long after I became a novice. Used it in the car mobile and had a ball working New Zealand, Australia, all over the Pacific and even across to the US and Canada on occasion. As a home station- connected to a decent antenna, when 10M is open you can work an awful lot of DX. The HTX100 is a reliable well built little rig. It may have less frills and modes than the more popular HR2510 but in performance it loses nothing. Highly recommended!