Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Dentron 160-10 Help

Reviews Summary for Dentron 160-10
Dentron 160-10 Reviews: 17 Average rating: 3.6/5 MSRP: $900.00
Description: 4 Dentron 572B Tubes..
(Web site missing—add URL)

You can write your own review of the Dentron 160-10.

KW4N Rating: 5/5 Feb 13, 2005 19:28 Send this review to a friend
Very Cost Effective  Time owned: more than 12 months
Been in the family new since 1976. Brother worked to DXCC Honor Roll with this unit. Backup tubes have not been used to date. Strong cabinet.
Only addition we made was to add an external muffin fan to aid cooling since the unit was in a semi-enclosed space. Good regulation with the voltage doubler. Not a single breakdown or parts replacement. Run exclusively on 110v without ANY problems; has 220v if you wanted it. Don't overlook this amp with the four, count them, 4, 572B's as it can be run hard with little impact.

K8DGL Rating: 2/5 Jan 18, 2003 15:56 Send this review to a friend
Below average  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
A friend of mine had one and really liked it. I had nothing but problems with mine. Replaced tubes, fan, recaped, tightened nuts and bolts and it never impressed me with power out. Flimsy construction.

001 Rating: 5/5 Apr 26, 2001 21:50 Send this review to a friend
Great amp!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had 1 year still has original Dentron tubes 110V 100W in 1800w out!!
Excellant amp no problems and it's clean!!
using on an Amtron99..

N8KR Rating: 0/5 Apr 6, 2001 21:31 Send this review to a friend
Not worth a second look  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought a 160-10L used in 1984. It had little use and the tubes were like new. Within a month, the filter caps blew - two months later, the diode stack blew - 3 more months and I had to replace the transformer. The second year I owned it I only had to replace the diode stack again. The third year saw another power supply. No dependability with this amp!

WB0WPE Rating: 4/5 Oct 17, 2000 18:39 Send this review to a friend
GOOD INVESTMENT  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got my amp. used 19780. Happy with investment,wish it had stand by, uses ext.I had let it sit for while so it started making noise. I read 572 would do that,I ran it full pwer. into dummy load burnt gas off and it wks. fine.I like it better than fl2100b because those tubes lay down.

N3OO Rating: 5/5 Oct 7, 2000 13:21 Send this review to a friend
STILL WORKING..SAME TUBES  Time owned: more than 12 months
BOUGHT THIS AMP NEW MANY MANY MOONS AGO....LOTS & LOTS OF HARD USE...SAME TUBES ...WORKS GREAT....CHANGED CAPS IN POWER SUPPLY ABOUT 20 YEARS AGO.....THAT WAS ONLY PROBLEM.....

VE7RQ Rating: 0/5 Mar 9, 2000 16:53 Send this review to a friend
No useable parts in this amp.......at any price !  Time owned: unknown months
I bought one of these amps new, back in 1977. Mine came with 4 x 811A's. It's purpose was to tie me over till the homebrew amps came online. The 160-10L blew every diode in the HV supply, on the 1st turn on ! (No soft start) Was fixed under warranty. Next problem was the T/R relay wouldn't quite make contact on RX. Relay was adjusted, now relay didn't quite make contact on TX ! I replaced relay with a P+B relay. Stock relay was same size as used in 100w Drake transmitter. Then the diodes blew again. This time, the plate meter bezel came flying off and hit me in the eye. My new desk was on fire as well ! Flames had shot straight down thru 'vent holes' on bottom lid. Other observations. Stranded plastic hook up wire (14ga) wound on a plastic tube does not cut it for a 'tank coil'. Zero bias + 2Kv means all 4 x 811's will turn orange within 2 secs. 'Chassis' consists of an upside down cookie sheet, 1/2 high,slopped with Q dope. I bought this amp new, and like an idiot, did not look inside 1st. I traded it in shortly afterwards. Iv'e owned 14 linears since 1976,some commercial, and some homebrew.
The Dentron 160-10L was the ABSOLUTE WORST. For a view of a real Homebrew 3CX-3000A7 linear, check my latest project at http://207.108.137.61 I also currently own 2 x L4B's, and a homebrew 2 x 4-400A amp.