Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Icom IC-V8000 Help

Reviews Summary for Icom IC-V8000
Dynamic Memory Scan
Weather channels
Weather alert
Weather scan
207 Memory channels (3 scan edges)
Call channel
RF Attenuator
Channelized operation
Alpha only operation
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com/amateur/2mmobile/index.html#v8000

You can write your own review of the Icom IC-V8000.

KJ4PR Rating: 2/5 Jul 20, 2014 04:44 Send this review to a friend
PTT problems with my V-8000  Time owned: more than 12 months
My IC-V8000 has been installed in my vehicle for about 5 years. I rarely transmit on it and when I do I only use the high power option when needed. When on high power I try to keep transmissions short. I am using a Larson NMO roof mount antenna with a good SWR. With that said last year the radio stopped transmitting. When I took the cover off the final output transister was no longer attached to the board. I soldered it back on and it worked fine. Today I tried to respond to a call and the PTT on my mike no longer works. It appears that other functions on the mike work normal but nothing happens when I key the mike to talk. I do live in a sub tropic climate and the fan is constantly running even when I am just scanning the band. Anyone else had problems with this radio? I spoke to a rep from Icom in Dayton and they say they never heard of the final seperating from the board. I find it hard to believe that I am the only one. I have had mostly Icom radios since I became a ham years ago but now I am thinking about changing to a dual band and posssibly going with Kenwood.

AB3CN Rating: 3/5 Jun 17, 2014 15:25 Send this review to a friend
It is now 2014  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The Icom IC-V8000 looks awesome on paper and in the reviews. I bought one based on paper and reviews. So my feedback to you is what it was like to hook the radio up and try to use it. My first observation was that the programming required me to do a step by step follow-the-page number routine back and forth through the Icom manual. Not intuitive. Okay - they had the info in the manual just not in a logical order. Second thing was the loose-jiggly knobs on the main unit. My IC-2100 has firm knobs which do not flex as if hung on pipe-cleaners. That worries me because I'm afraid the radio can't handle a shock. Others have said it does. The third issue was reception: back-and-forth with my FT-7800 on an ARX-2B the IC-V8000 got the same weak signals. I expected the Icom to do better. I can't see it. I bought a SX-200 SWR meter because I was worried I was missing something in the comparison. Who knows? Maybe the SWR kicked one radio harder than the other but both are clocked at 1:1.2 (that made me happy). Bottom line is I paid $220 for the V8000 and $330 for the FT-7800. The FT-7900 is $323 right now so yes I have some buyers remorse. I like Icom and have a lot of their radios and I regret to say the V8000 did not match up to my expectations. Your expectations will be different and I appreciate your opinions on eHam. I've been forthright because I hope you will do the same. Best to you, 73 de AB3CN

W8NSI Rating: 5/5 May 16, 2014 07:28 Send this review to a friend
Heavy duty 2m rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
It is an easy to operate, good, solid 2m rig. I have never had a problem with this radio. I have owned my V8000 for several years, and used it both mobile (with a mag-mount 1/4 wave) and base. The 75 watt high power is useful. It was relatively easy to program. I have not tried using software to program it. I have mine opened up for use on the Michigan Navy MARS freqs and it works well there too. I am going to buy another one just for mobile so I can leave my original one at the base. Price is right! FIVE STARS and a THUMBS UP too!

KI6OSH Rating: 5/5 Aug 31, 2013 21:03 Send this review to a friend
Hard to beat...  Time owned: more than 12 months
After five plus years of light to moderate use, thought I'd write another review. This radio does everything I could possible use in a mobile 2 meter rig. Not too hard to program and with 75 watts available, hits every repeater I could ever use, even with my little 1/4 wave MFJ mag mount antenna on my truck. The fan is nice here in the summer heat and nice to have 4 power settings. No problems so far. Very nice display, also. Great job, Icom.

KC8Y Rating: 5/5 Jul 7, 2013 06:31 Send this review to a friend
super 2m radio :)  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this transceiver for several years. Use it for my base station, only 5 or 10 watts, fast scan.
I use software to program it, which makes it easy for me. My antenna is only about 12-feet high & RG-8U cable (35-feet)

Wish this site had something ABOVE 5 ????

W4JPS Rating: 5/5 Jan 31, 2013 19:45 Send this review to a friend
Gets the job done  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a great FM radio. I have had it since 2002 and it has done everything that it says. I run it on 75W for an hour 2x daily 4-5 times a week. It still works as advertised.
The cons are as follows:
The fan wears out and needs replacement sooner if you DO NOT run the fan on HIGH or OFF all the time. auto fan speed wears out the bearings faster.
The icom menu system is not intuitive. I have to use the manual even after 11 years of mobile use to do anything like update a memory or whatever.

N0SSC Rating: 4/5 Nov 27, 2012 02:46 Send this review to a friend
Durable, cooks too  Time owned: more than 12 months
The V8000 was my first rig and is still going. The 75 watts is very useful and doubles as a space heater, egg cooker, etc heheh. Very simple but not as compact as I wish.

The fan gets loud, and I've always had odd sounding birdies, most notably on 147.240MHz, and others. Otherwise it's a fine rig.

Scans fast too. Great for local snooping.

W4AUV Rating: 5/5 Oct 21, 2011 21:04 Send this review to a friend
Very satisified  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I do a great deal of driving for my work and this radio gets heavy usage. It has performed 100% plus. I always get excellent audio reqports with it. If you want a solid, high power mobile radio for 2 meters, you should take a hard look at this one....W4AUV

K8KAS Rating: 5/5 Jul 25, 2011 13:49 Send this review to a friend
top of the line  Time owned: more than 12 months
Owned it for 4 or 5 years, use it as a base on simplex. Full power always and ragchew often. Never a problem, nice Rx and Tx audio.
Radio stays on 7 or more hours a day on 146.430
or146.520.. buy one again in a second..Denny K8KAS

K1VI Rating: 4/5 Jul 25, 2011 11:46 Send this review to a friend
Great, except mic PTT  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have 3, at least two are 5-plus years old. Very nice overall, but I have had to replace two mics, each with PTT problems. Seems with wear, the microswitch is no longer engaged. I bought time in each case, by shimming with slivers of pencil eraser, but in the end shelled out the $89 per mic, twice. Otherwise, good radio.