Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Icom IC-V8000 Help

Reviews Summary for Icom IC-V8000
Dynamic Memory Scan
Weather channels
Weather alert
Weather scan
207 Memory channels (3 scan edges)
Call channel
RF Attenuator
Channelized operation
Alpha only operation
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com/amateur/2mmobile/index.html#v8000

You can write your own review of the Icom IC-V8000.

KL1RK Rating: 5/5 Dec 9, 2004 01:50 Send this review to a friend
Wow, whatta rig!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Here in Alaska, there are times when your 'round a mountain or 'cross a valley from that repeater and the extra power is GREAT! This was my first rig as a ham and have loved it since the moment I got it. I use it mobile and I use it a lot, almost everyday.

I laugh at other peoples complaints about the speed and noise from the fan. With the V8000 mounted under the dash of my Monte Carlo, I don't have to worry about dirt on the floorboard. I just kick the radio on full power, key up for a second and let the fan do the cleaning for me!

It would be nice to find a dual bander built this well and with this much power on 2m. Come on Icom, let's get with it!

N4KMA Rating: 5/5 Sep 18, 2004 09:36 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have had this radio for over 5 months and it is a great radio. I have had no problems with this unit. The fan is alittle noisy but I can live with it. For the money this radio can not be beat.

M1JDK Rating: 5/5 Sep 18, 2004 05:11 Send this review to a friend
Great 2m radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought one of these for use in the UK and it works a treat. An easy 70W output, lots of features (even if several of them are tailored towards the USA market - WX etc). I modified the mike slightly by enlarging the small hole in the rubber membrane infront of the element and now have people asking me what radio I'm using as the audio sounds superb!

The volume and squelch always seem round the wrong way to me, and they do feel a bit flimsy - like they are connected to the pots via rubber shafts or similar - but they haven't given any trouble and the radio is generally built like a tank!

The (multi-speed) fan is a bit noisy, not a problem in a mobile install, but can dry up your contact lenses if used as a home base :) The front facing speaker is excellent - more mobile rigs should have this.

All in all - a great radio for 2m FM. Should last for ever and I won't be selling mine!

Mark - M1JDK - England

KI4ECK Rating: 5/5 Sep 17, 2004 20:38 Send this review to a friend
WOW!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just upgraded to this rig from an HTX-212. What a difference, even on a short, through the glass antenna, I'm hitting repeaters I've never reached before. I like the weather too! Nice features ands well built.

9W2NAZ Rating: 5/5 Sep 13, 2004 09:48 Send this review to a friend
The best rig in its class  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just bought this rig yesterday. The audio is great and I like the front speakers. Programming is quite straight forward but I would appreciate if Icom can come up with a better operating manual.

I'm using it as a base unit and I'm thinking of getting another one for my XYL's car. Glad that I bought the V8000 instead of the FT2800.

9W2NAZ

KI4ECW Rating: 5/5 Sep 3, 2004 18:49 Send this review to a friend
5 Star Performance  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've used the ICOM V8000 both as a temporary base unit and as a mobile. It performed admirably in both arenas.

Audio is loud and clarity is excellent. TX is great, too. I'm not sure why ICOM chose to go 5 watts, 10 watts, 25 watts and 75 watts for power settings. It would have made more sense to have it set for 5 watts, 25 watts, 50 watts, and 75 watts.

The fan does come on occasionally but the noise is barely noticeable.

It's not a Yaesu 857 or 897 but it's about one third the price of the more expensive multi-band rigs.

If you're looking for a 75 watt 2 meter FM workhorse that gets the job done and is easy on the pocketbook, this radio is for you.

KC0NXH Rating: 5/5 Jul 25, 2004 12:35 Send this review to a friend
One of the best  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Im a 15 year old and I have and awesome
IC-2100(base),VX-150(ht),I bought the
IC-V8000 for my car. Im a teenager so Im on a very low budget so the V8000 was priced right and has every thing you need for a great 2-meter.
73's

K6PDU Rating: 5/5 Jul 25, 2004 01:50 Send this review to a friend
Highly recommended  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
It is an excellent radio for any one. Very easy to use and the front speaker works very well.

Everything works smoothly the screen is readable and it is nice having a fully functional mic.

NC2F Rating: 5/5 May 31, 2004 18:09 Send this review to a friend
Bought another - Excellent 2M mobile/base  Time owned: more than 12 months
Last year when I bought the V8000, I returned it for a FT-8900 due to my perception of what I felt was some lacking intermod barrier and low audio performance. When outfitting our second vehicle, I decided to try the V-8000 again within a few weeks thereafter. Well in this case, the second was indeed the charm. Clean audio, excellent (clean) receive with no indications of intermod problems. I again used it in my shack first going through a roof mounted X-200A up about 35 feet. Audio reports are fine, with no indication of low audio. So one year now of satisfactory operation on the V8000.

Programming the radio is a snap as are using the features, with many controlable via the hand mic which is quite, well, "handy" while mobiling.

The dipaly is easy on the eys and the fromt mounted speaker is planty loud and clear. It's so good in fact, that I usually have the vol know indicator set at no greater than at the 10 o'clock position.

Considering the price paid ($189 shipped) and having the 75W available to reach distant repeaters while mobile can be useful.

I'm happy that I bought another V-8000, and would recommend one to anybody looking for a great 2M mobile or base radio.

KI4CXZ Rating: 5/5 Apr 27, 2004 22:26 Send this review to a friend
75 WATTS  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
You can not beat this radio for this price. I havea hard time trying to decide to use it in the car or as a base station. speaker located in the front makes this radio easy to hear. the best 2M radio I have work so far. Money well spent. I'd due it again
"73"