Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Logging | xlog Help

Reviews Summary for xlog
xlog Reviews: 13 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $$0
Description: Xlog is an easy to use program for logging your radio contacts. Contacts are saved in a browsable list which can be edited.
More info: http://www.nongnu.org/xlog/

You can write your own review of the xlog.

KD7RDZI2 Rating: 5/5 Jan 17, 2014 12:11 Send this review to a friend
good also for contest  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Simple, usable for contest. Can key the tx if cwdaemon is installed. No flaw detected so far!

K8WDX Rating: 5/5 Mar 7, 2011 09:34 Send this review to a friend
Great  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
OK it is loading up LOTW qso,s no problem, this is a great simple logging program, you can learn it in about 15 min not 15 months, If you like digital and are using FLdigi when you finish the qso with say psk31 it will automatically add it to the log, even if the log is not open, no set up required. I did not have to tell Fldigi, or Xlog to upload or retrieve the qso's it just did it. no boxes to check NOTHING! nice. For look up when logging I started using FLdigi to log all qso,s because of the auto lookup, fills in all the info, then hit save and there is is in Xlog. not a bad way to go on the fly. only do this when I need to be fast such as working contests or a pile up. could not be easier, combined with Linux Mint and a 4 core 3200 mhz machine dont think I can get any faster.

NH7O Rating: 5/5 Mar 6, 2011 23:20 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have almost 18,000 qsos in my log now, and xlog keeps running without problems. Previous reviews mentioned:

exporting to ADIF not working: It works perfectly for me, after 100 exports.

mouse busy: Use Control-K to load the fields with time and defaults, which are set with Control-L. Rig control will load the freq. and mode from the radio, if those fields are left blank in the defaults window. Control-W to log. Control-Y to wipe the fields. Control-space to set defaults and write in one step.

There have been some recent updates that have addressed the outstanding bugs, and added some nice enhancements. xlog is better than ever, and remains the best choice for general purpose logging in Linux, IMHO. I like the lean interface, and the ability to have just those things I want to be displayed. It is very solid and stable. Thanks to Joop for the great program.

NH7O Rating: 4/5 Feb 8, 2011 17:46 Send this review to a friend
After 5 years  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have almost 15,000 qsos in my log now, and xlog keeps running without problems. Previous reviews mentioned:

exporting to ADIF not working: It works perfectly for me, after 100 exports.

That said, there are some shortcomings. As a call is entered, the name field is auto-filled with the info, if you have worked the station before. But the search function does not keep searching after a match is found, thus the info for XY1Z is filled in, even though I have enetered XY1ZZ, resulting in the wrong name being used. Also, there is no contest mode, so a simple enter does not suffice to log the call and send the exchange. The keyer does work fine through cwdaemon though. There was some problem with the use of recent versions of cty.dat, but that was fixed with a recent update.

Major work on the software has completed, with the author's own goals met. Others have tinkered a little with the open source program, but it has pretty much stayed in its present form for some years. That said, it is a reliable logger, and the simple, lean design is preferable to any I have tried.

K8WDX Rating: 4/5 Feb 8, 2011 11:29 Send this review to a friend
Good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I would give it a 5 but one thing, uploading to AIDF does not seem to work, I do not have rig control maybe when Hamlib support 64 bit, but for now dont really need it, I am a casual user, and I like to work DX this program is not complicated, I got tired of the complicated log books, I do not want to spent time learning a log book just to do it again with the next update, now for the uploading because I do use LOTW and Eqsl, what I do is I have FLdigi installed, when I need to upload in AIDF, I first upload to my documents, then merge to fldigi, when I hit the merge file button in fldigi, I scroll down to my documents where I saved the file from Xlog "NOTE" nothing will be there I then tell it to look for all files, not just ADIF, there it is, double click and log is now in FLdigi, where I can start all over and save it again to ADIF, into my documents now TQSL will see it and EQSL will take it, so there is a way to do it. just a few extra steps, I am new to Linux and love it so far. I use Linux Mint and it will take windows 7 chew it up and spit it out fast, there is no comparison between the two..I now have control of my PC, My PC does not have control of me...

AF6QZ Rating: 5/5 Jul 11, 2010 15:28 Send this review to a friend
Great program  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently downloaded xlog, when I found it in my repos and became interested in it. It is a great program, and works great in Ubuntu 10.04 LTS 64bit.

It has got a lot of nice features that I'm not planning to use, like rig-control and so forth. But the logging part of it is great. It is very easy to use, and very fast. It does require a lot of mouse using, especially for entering the date and time, but other than that, it is very complete. I love the map feature, which shows the map of the country of the station you are currently working. Very handy!

I would recommend this program to anyone. It is sad that non-Linux users can't take advantage of it hi hi...

KQ9J Rating: 5/5 Feb 20, 2009 15:45 Send this review to a friend
Nice logging program  Time owned: more than 12 months
Easy to use, exports in all popular formats. Type in a call and the "worked before" dialog box pulls up the info. Type in a DX prefix and the "scoring" window gives you country, ITU and CQ zones, short and long path headings from your QTH. Had to configure the first install several years ago; now it is the PCLinuxOS repository and you get a one-click install with Synaptic. Can't ask for more.

N1YE Rating: 5/5 Jan 1, 2009 10:16 Send this review to a friend
Great program!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Best Linux logging program! Does everything...flexible log formats, prints labels with glabels, nice log printouts, built in cw keyer. I have used this for three years now in daily QSO's, contests, and so on. I can create special logs on the fly and import them into the main log later. It exports into the standard formats and easily imports logs in ADIF and Cabrillo. For me, my radio logs were the last holdout that kept me from making the leap from MS Windows to Linux. Now I run entirely Linux. Xlog is not as colorful as other logs, but it gets the job done well. Maybe it will for you, also. The price can't be beat!

W4GPL Rating: 4/5 Jul 4, 2008 07:45 Send this review to a friend
So far, so good..  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Installed this logger on Fedora 9 and it's quite impressive. It flawlessly imported my contacts from another logging app. It has easy to remember quick keys so that no interaction with the mouse is required... very nice work!

Could use an Internet callsign lookup function, but hey, nothing is perfect.

AA3EJ Rating: 5/5 Nov 11, 2007 08:54 Send this review to a friend
Works great with Ubuntu 7.10  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Xlog v 1.5 is a great logging program for Linux.It was tested under Ubuntu (current) Linux Distribution v 7.10 and Xlog v 1.5 and works great!.Have my entire paper logs loaded from 1957, Window shows QSO's previously worked. Search on any call and windows displays search results. Awards,DXCC,and most important to me is the previous contact window all can be left open with the main logging window.etc..Nice stable ham radio logging offering for the latest Linux Ubuntu 7.10 distro.
73's Dave, aa3ej