Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Other than logging | FT-817 Commander Help

Reviews Summary for FT-817 Commander
Reviews: 15 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $Free
Description: The ultimate CAT program for the FT-817, and it's freeware!
More info: http://www.hb9drv.ch

You can write your own review of the FT-817 Commander.

N4EKV Rating: 5/5 Sep 24, 2002 19:08 Send this review to a friend
Don't use an FT-817 without this program!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'd owned my FT-817 for 3-4 months before I considered the idea of controlling it with my PC. Twenty-nine dollars later I had in my hands the Yaesu CT-62 interface cable and I was trolling the web looking for software. I located FT-817 Commander and also RATS FT-817 (see separate review on that). In short, the one you want is FT-817 Commander. It's a fantastic piece of UI engineering that transforms the FT-817 into a truly usable radio with impressive 'big rig' functionality.

Do yourself a favor and make sure your mouse has a thumbwheel.. it's the slickest (but hardly the only) way to QSY using this program! The screen on the FT-817 Commander is a work of art -- all the important options are now a mouse click away -- and the analog dial is a cool retro design that also supports lightning-fast QSYs into any band, onto any freq, with a single mouse click.

The user-programmable scans are fantastic. I set up one for '20 CW' ranging from 14.000 to 14.063 and can call it up at will to watch the band scope fill in as the little rig sweeps the 20M CW space. I have other scans for other sub-bands, and FT-817 Commander remembers all my associated settings like CW/CWR/USB, IPO, NAR, etc.

Memory channels are also a slick feature, and once programmed, FT-817 Commander can scan those much like your basic police scanner would, except at my station its scanning all the QRP and FISTS calling frequencies on ALL the HF bands.. too cool!

And it's free. And the author answers emails. Pinch me. Get yours today and find out what your FT-817 can really do!

VE3TMT Rating: 5/5 Sep 22, 2002 12:01 Send this review to a friend
What won't it do???  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Having just acquired an FT817 I was eager to try out the software I had been hearing so much about. In a word I would describe it as "FANTASTIC". Once you turn the radio on, you don't have to touch it. All functions and commands are a mouse click away, and the memory manager makes it a simple job to program it. Alpha tags can even be added. My TS850 is sitting on the shelf with the dust cover over it, I am having so much fun with the 817 and the software. You can't have one without the other.

F5SMZ Rating: 5/5 Jun 28, 2002 14:45 Send this review to a friend
Now we can really make QSOs in PSK31  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I came to PSK31 several months ago, discovering this mode with many softwares. The initial thing I noticed was the "non user friendly" heap of menus and macros making a QSO a hell to handle ... until F6BAZ made me discover THE PSK31 software, PSK-31 Deluxe by HB9DRV. I've adopted it instantly and use it all the time.
I really like the user friendly interface, the beacon mode, and the lots of PAL files that enable you to customize the waterfall colors.
This software is a must.
BTW, Simon told us that he also could implement the BeacoNet protocol by end of this year, cool!
As I don't own a FT-817 I can't give feedback on this part of the soft, only the PSK31 part.

K0BZV Rating: 5/5 Apr 12, 2002 11:38 Send this review to a friend
Terrific Software  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This software is fantastic! It makes programming
the FT-817 much easier and eliminates the problem
of 'fat fingering' the small keys. I haven't yet
tried the PSK31 part of the program. I haven't
built the extremely easy interface (one transistor
and one resistor plus the plugs) but it sure looks
like a winner.
Since I got my FT-817, my higher power ham gear is
just sitting and gathering dust.
My thanks to Simon for the software and he has my
vote for sainthood also.
Carl - K0BZV

AB8JC Rating: 5/5 Apr 12, 2002 10:04 Send this review to a friend
INCREDIBLE -- AND FREE!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Easiest to use rig control/memory programming software I have used. Now includes PSK-31 Deluxe, an integrated PSK program (which is also useable stand-alone with other radios). Every function available via front panel is in the software, along with many more. And the author continues to improve the PSK part of the program. I can't recommend it highly enough. There is talk of nominating Simon Brown for sainthood!

Join the FT817-Commander eGroup on Yahoo! & join the fun!