Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | Hi Mound HK-708 straught key Help

Reviews Summary for Hi Mound HK-708 straught key
Hi Mound HK-708 straught key Reviews: 10 Average rating: 3.6/5 MSRP: $49.95
Description: Black base straight key with no shroud
More info: http://www.morsex.com/himound/#hk708

You can write your own review of the Hi Mound HK-708 straught key.

KD7ZD Rating: 5/5 Nov 20, 2017 20:22 Send this review to a friend
Best Key Ever Used  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My key is an HK-707. Same as the HK-708 but with a shroud.

I find the key a pleasure to use. Compered to this key, the keys I've use in the past are junk. The key has a crisp feel and if you don't know what that is, buy the key and you will know.

I set the key to my preference when I got it and haven't had to adjust it since.

I'm 77 years old and I know this key will last longer than I will.

The only disadvantage to this key is the spelling checker doen't work. (Joke!)

K3YLG Rating: 4/5 Apr 18, 2015 03:11 Send this review to a friend
very nice  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had one for over a year now and liked it so well I got another one for second rig. I wish I had one in my novice days in 60`s Very easy to adjust and heavy weight which it stays put on table

N6BIZ Rating: 5/5 Jan 16, 2015 10:33 Send this review to a friend
GREAT KEY  Time owned: more than 12 months
I HAVE ONE , AND THE "COFFIN" KEY TOO...
VERY SMOOTH TO THE TOUCH...
FINE PARTS AND CONSTRUCTION TOO...
LIKE A FINE WATCH IMHO...

K0CSL Rating: 4/5 Jan 16, 2015 06:52 Send this review to a friend
Sturdy and Reliable  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've had the Hi-Mound HK-708 for about a year now, and I have no complaints. It isn't the Ferrari of straight keys, but I never expected it to be that nice. Instead, it's a solid performer with all the adjustment features I need. Most importantly, given the reasonable price point and solid construction, I often take this key on the road. I just throw it in the bag, and off I go! I've had no problems with it, and I think it would be a worthy addition to anyone's straight key collection.

DL6VN Rating: 3/5 Jan 2, 2010 10:24 Send this review to a friend
OK for beginner  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
After having learned CW with an Russian army key (which was awful!), I bought the HK-708 on Ebay, mainly because of its nice chrome look ;-). I passed my formal CW test with it and I still use it from time to time. As opposed to other reviewers, I found it quite a good key to work with as a beginner. It has a rather strong tension, a firm response, and if adjusted properly, will allow for precise and clean keying at slow or medium rates which is what you want as a newcomer to CW. It does not like "heavy pounding", but I can operate this key for longer periods and still enjoy it. For those of us who do not want to or cannot afford a Junker, Begali or Schurr, the HK-708 might be an alternative as a serious key for occasional use. Anyone becoming more proficient will inevitably look for a better key, if not change to squeeze-keying altogether.

GW6ITJ Rating: 4/5 Jun 8, 2009 05:43 Send this review to a friend
Great value key  Time owned: more than 12 months
A great key for the price. Most hams start with what they can afford and move onwards and upwards, this is where to start and if your happy, keep it.

This isn't a Rolls Royce but properly adjusted (and it does have all the adjustements) good CW it is very easy to master. Probably better suited to US Style sending than the UK style for comfort but it is perfectly adequate and will last years.

GW4RWR Rating: 1/5 Jul 7, 2007 15:28 Send this review to a friend
Junk  Time owned: more than 12 months
How can anyone rate this a 4 or 5? You people can't have used a decent key. Indeed, all the reviews on this web site are biased towards 4 or 5. Perhaps we justify the $$$ we spend on our fancy radios by rating them too highly on subjective site like this?

I learned CW with a HK-708. It accompanied me to the formal CW test, held then at a maritime station in Liverpool. The old examiner took pity on me, and offered me his own key. Only then did I realise what junk I had. I admit that the '708 was an improvement on my 'Electronics for ten year olds' kit key - formed from a piece of bent metal and a toothpase tube cap for a knob. But seriously, the spring tension on the '708 is inconsistent, it's uncomfortable to use and tiring.

Basically, it's rubbish. Junk. It's enough to put one off CW for life. Strictly only for use with a home made, three transistor transmitter.

If you manage to send good morse with this thing for one hour, you're a magician. Treat yourself to something better. You deserve it!

KE4KY Rating: 4/5 Jul 6, 2007 21:38 Send this review to a friend
GOOD PRODUCT  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
THE KEY CAME RECOMMENDED FROM A VENDOR...

NOT DISAPPOINTED WITH THE DESIGN OR FUNCTION OF THE KEY

THE SETTINGS APPEAR TO HOLD AND NOT SLIP / BACK OFF

THE FEEL IS CRISP AND COMPARES TO SEVERAL SPEED-X KEYS THAT I OWN.

I DON'T BELIEVE THAT ANYONE WOULD BE DISAPPOINTED IF THIS ITEM WAS PURCHASED.

2E0MKA Rating: 1/5 Jul 12, 2003 19:56 Send this review to a friend
It works but thats it.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Once this key is removed from its heavy metal base it weighs a couple of grams.This is not surprising as it is made of plastic.Having some side play in the action i decided to have a look at the bearings,a couple of ball bearings and thats it.The whole thing looks and feels cheap and nasty.It is functional however,but gave me no pleasure in using it.Costing just a little more i purchased a Kent straight key,no comparison.

KU4QD Rating: 5/5 Feb 28, 2002 15:51 Send this review to a friend
Very solid key, very nice feel  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I had used a Nye-Viking Master key for about 14 years before I picked up this Japanese key last year. I bought the Hi Mound HK-708 on a whim: I had all these unusual little Japanese rigs (mainly by Mizuho) and I felt a Japanese key was in order. I had no idea that this would become my primary key, and that I'd like it as well as I do.

The key weighs in at over a pound, making it very solid on the desk. The flat knob can be replaced with a mushroom shaped one, but I like the key the way it is. The key is mechanically precise, and the landing is much sharper than the Nye key yet still is not at all uncomfortable or fatiguing.

Judging a key is subjective. It really depends on what feels good to you when you operate. This key feels good to me and is built to last a lifetime. See y'all on the bottom of 40m.