Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Other than logging | Koch Method CW Trainer for Windows Help

Reviews Summary for Koch Method CW Trainer for Windows
Koch Method CW Trainer for Windows Reviews: 24 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $freeware
Description: Description: Learn Morse code by the Koch method, which teaches reflexive responses to each Morse character. The software can also add noise and QSB to simulate a real world environment
More info: http://www.g4fon.co.uk

You can write your own review of the Koch Method CW Trainer for Windows.

VU2VMF Rating: 5/5 Sep 28, 2008 07:47 Send this review to a friend
One must have this  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Really surprise after downloading and running this software. nothing but Great ! One can practice in QSB mode, noise mode etc., This helps a lot while switching on the radio in this poor propagation!
Simulator can be added to this software for real practise as on the air... Working Contests also one more menus can be added to this.
this is time being Great CW software. Thanks to G4FON.

WA4KLQ Rating: 5/5 Jun 11, 2008 00:13 Send this review to a friend
The best software for learning Code  Time owned: more than 12 months
In the 70s I tried to learn code with tapes provided by the local Ham Radio Club. Like many, it was very frustrating. I still have the tapes. I usually ended up memorizing the practice tapes before I really learned it. Pretty soon, the dits and dahs just seem to melt together.

The Koch Method of CW is by far the best method of learning Code and the least frustrating. Koch's method is a simple, direct way of building reflexes. The method requires either a computer and Morse software or a personal trainer. That is why it was overlooked for so many years. With the advent of computers, it should become the standard Morse training method. You end up with a workable knowledge and ability being able to copy 20 words per minute with relative ease.

AA6A Rating: 5/5 Oct 29, 2006 10:45 Send this review to a friend
New Vers. 9.1.4 is nicely improved  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Thanks for your excellent software. It is helping me dust off the rust from my code skills and improve my speed. The new version has a nicely improved interface from the prior version.

The most recent version 9.1.4 has typos on the Setup Dialog Tabs.

The Morse Tab reads: "Morse Characeter Setup"
It should read: "Morse Character Setup"

The General Tab reads: "Generatl Setup"
It should read: "General Setup"

A helpful additional to the program would be a Copied Text Entry Dialog. The Characters could be typed and entered via the PC Keyboard as they are heard. After the session is completed, the contents of this dialog could be viewed and compared against the sent characters display area. This would be far more convenient to check accuracy (and for errors) than doing so in the window of another program or from a paper sheet. The program could even do the compare process and highlight erroneous characters in Red, as well as provide an accuracy report of the number of erroneous characters and an accuracy percentage. Users would only need to adjust the display delay of the sounded characters to suit their needs. For touch typists, this would be most welcome enhancement to an already exceptional.

Very 73,

Rob - AA6A

N6AJR Rating: 5/5 Nov 29, 2005 00:36 Send this review to a friend
still the best  Time owned: more than 12 months
Absolutely the best way to learn the code. also now available at G4FON.NET

KB2QQM Rating: 5/5 Nov 28, 2005 21:03 Send this review to a friend
Great way to brush up on my lousy Code Speed  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Like "Tony the Tiger"....It's......GGGGREAT !!!

Highly recommended after using about everything out there...It's simple, to the point, and it works.
And ..............IT'S FREE..

(who said "there was no such thing as a free lunch?")

KI4JQB Rating: 5/5 Jun 28, 2005 18:09 Send this review to a friend
Good program for learning your Morse  Time owned: more than 12 months
I used Koch 6.0.11 to learn Morse for my upgrade to General, and after two to three months studying off and on, I passed Element 1 with flying colors. I give this a 5.

I generally used it with Koch RX. When I left both Koch and Koch RX open for a while after finishing my Morse practice, sometimes my computer locked up.

AB7AZ Rating: 5/5 May 28, 2005 19:35 Send this review to a friend
Great CW Aid  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This software is a great aid to learning, and improving your CW skills. It's easy to use and it is well written. And you can't beat the price. It's set up to make it easy to learn the code with random characters, but it also will send common words, simulated QSO's and you can feed it text files that it will convert to code.

There's no magic method to learning code and improving your speed, it just takes practice. There are a number of computer programs to help you practice, this one is easy to use and very complete. And the author provides great support.

Pat/AB7AZ

KC0REY Rating: 5/5 Mar 29, 2005 20:42 Send this review to a friend
The best things in life really are free!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I love it!

K0RKS Rating: 5/5 Mar 29, 2005 20:04 Send this review to a friend
Great Trainer  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This program will help, all I have done is followed instructions. Increased my speed in a short period of time. Nice layout easy to use.
I would make it a requirement to try, in supplementing your CW training.

73 Ron K0RKS

KU4UV Rating: 5/5 Mar 29, 2005 18:18 Send this review to a friend
Best Program I have found for learning CW  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is truly the best program I have found for learning CW and getting your code proficiency up to speed quickly. I can't believe that this program is actually free! If you need to pass the 5 WPM code test or get your speed up quickly, this is the program to use. I only wish I would have had this program 12 years ago when I was I practicing for my first code exam. Code tapes simply get repetitive and dull after a while. This program is great because it uses different characters to help you learn the code so you don't know what character is coming next, and you can increase your speed to code speeds faster than what you are working to achieve. The only real "flaw" I have found with this program, if you can call it a flaw, is that the program tends to repeat characters in some strings. I have found that sometimes the program will spit out 3 or 4 T's in a row for example. This isn't really that big of deal though and can probably be fixed, I just haven't had a chance to e-mail G4FON yet to ask about it. I can say that the program was instrumental in helping to get me on the air using CW, and I think that is the best thing about the program. Use this program, you won't be disappointed! Thanks to G4FON!