Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Mizuho SB-2X Help

Reviews Summary for Mizuho SB-2X
Mizuho SB-2X Reviews: 2 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: 1970s 2m SSB/CW portable transceiver
More info: http://www.qsl.net/ku4qd/mizuho

You can write your own review of the Mizuho SB-2X.

KU4QD Rating: 5/5 Jun 22, 2003 13:34 Send this review to a friend
Classic 2m SSB/CW portable. Fun rig even today.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I was fortunate enough to have a ham friend in Japan find a nearly mint SB-2X for me along with the matching LA-2X 10W linear amplifier. I bought it as an addition to a collection of interesting Mizuho rigs. It turns out, as G7TOK reported in his review, that it's really quite an excellent 2m SSB/CW portable even today.

The appearance of the rig reminds me a lot of the old Kenwood TR-2200A/Drake TR-22, except, of course, it's an SSB/CW rig. It even has the 110V AC charging circuit similar to the TR-2200A, but like that rig requires 12-13.8V DC, either in the form of internal batteries (AA cells) or from an external power supply. If using alkaline batteries you have to use nine cells and a dummy battery, or else you can use 10 rechargable cells.

The rig, like an Icom IC-202, is VXO controlled, with each crystal providing 200kHz of coverage. 144.000-144.200 and 144.200-144.400 were provided stock from the factory, and two additional slots are available. The rig isn't a great choice for satellite work, though, since like the original IC-202 it only operates USB. No LSB is available.

Receiver performance is excellent. The rig is quite sensitive and selectivity seems to be decent enough as well. Both transmitted and received audio are excellent. A pull-up telescopic whip is built in for true portable operation. I haven't taken in mobile so I can't judge the noise blanker just yet. The rig is about as stable as most decent analog rigs: it drifts until it warms up and then settles down nicely.

The cosmetics and ergonomics of this rig are excellent. I agree with the previous reviewer that the momentary lamp switch is a nice idea. The optional carrying case is quite nice and has a pocket for the mic.

Output power is only 1W for this rig, which is less than comparable models from Icom or Yaesu. If you can find the matching LA-2X linear you'll have 10W for operation with an external power source.

I've been warned by my Japanese friend that older Mizuho 2m gear tends to be fragile. I've looked at this rig inside and out and don't see how it's more fragile than the aforementioned Kenwood or Icom rigs, but I'm being careful with it just the same. I'd like to keep this rig around for a good long time. I enjoy using it.

A fair rating would be 4.5, but I can't do that, so I went for the 5. The only real drawback that I can see is the lack of LSB. These rigs are rare, but if you find one, and if you like the older style VHF analog portable rigs, you probably will enjoy an SB-2X.

G7TOK Rating: 5/5 Sep 19, 2002 07:53 Send this review to a friend
Fun 2m Portable  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Only recently purchased it, mostly out of curiosity, but it has turned out to be a little gem.
Sensitivity is up there with my Mutek FT221R, with nice recovered audio and reports on transmit have been favourable. Draws very little current from the ten Nimh batteries so can get several hours use on one charge (can't say that for my FT817). 10 second backlight button is very well thought out, and the general build quality is very good.
They are very VERY rare now, so if you see one pick it up and place it in your bag for a little portable SSB fun !