Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Yaesu VX-1R Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu VX-1R
Yaesu  VX-1R Reviews: 21 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $159.95 (HRO- $99.95 12/19/02)
Description: TINY Dual-Band VHF/UHF palm transceiver... with 8 additional receive bands.
More info: http://www.yaesu.com/amateur/vx1r.html

You can write your own review of the Yaesu VX-1R.

N4UED Rating: 5/5 Aug 29, 2009 22:16 Send this review to a friend
VERY EXCITED TO OWN ONE AGAIN !!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I LOVE THIS LITTLE HT SO MUCH.
THE ANTENNA THAT COMES WITH IT WORKS FAR BETTER THAT ANY REPLACEMENT.
THE VX-1R'S ANTENNA WORKS JUST FINE ON 2 M.
NOW ON 440 IT SHINES.
I USE MINE ABOUT EVERY DAY.
I AM GOING TO BUY ANOTHER ONE SO I CAN CHARGE THE BATTERY IN ONE WHILE USING THE OTHER.
THE BATTERIES ARE AVAILABLE ON E-BAY OR FROM YAESU.
I PURCHASED THE BATTERY CASE FOR MINE.
IT HOLDS ONE ALKALINE BATTERY.
THIS BATTERY WILL LAST A FEW DAY ON RECEIVE.
I USE MINE FOR NOT ONLY HAM RECEIVE BUT FOR POLICE AND FIRE ETC. WHAT IS GREAT IS LISTENING TO YOUR LOCAL FIRE AND POLICE YOU CAN USE THE CTCSS OR DCS TO KEEP THE RECEIVER QUIET.
I JUST WISH THAT THEIR WAS AN OPTIONAL CHARGER AVAILABLE TO CHARGE THE BATTERY PACK.
YOU CAN PICK THESE UP IN GREAT CONDITION ON E-BAY OR AT A HAMFEST.
MY ADVICE IS ITS A BETTER SHIRT POCKET HT,THAN MY VX-2R AND MY VX-3R.
THE ONLY AFTER MARKET THAT IS BETTER ON RECEIVE IS THE ICOM VHF/UHF FA-1443B.
THIS ANTENNA CANT BE BEAT.
I USE MY VX-1R AT ALL HAMFEST AND IT FOLLOWS ME EVERYWHERE I GO.
I LIKE THE WIDE BAND RECEIVE.
SOME COMPLAINE THAT THEY CANY SCAN 440 FREQUENCIES WITH THEIR 2M FREQUENCIES.
WELL THAT DIES NOT BOTHER ME.
FOR THE USE I GET OUY OF THIS GUY I CAN DEAL WITH ANY ISSUE IF I FIND ONE.
IT IS ALSO AVAILABLE ON THE WEB AND ON E-BAY.

AJ4DW Rating: 4/5 May 8, 2009 12:39 Send this review to a friend
Neat *TINY* HT!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I also bought it as a novelty, and I've had a lot of fun with it. Limited power, limited antenna, etc, you get what you might expect from such a small rig. But it fits into pockets and it's a fun little gadget (won't replace my 91AD, but....)

Some things I've learned:

1) ADSM1 programming software: I haven't found a USB to serial adapter that will work (can doewnload from the radio, but not up to it). Finally hooked it directly to an old-fashioned serial port on my desktop, installed the upgrade for the ADSM1 software, and it worked!

2) Bricking it: I was messing around trying to use some freebie software and I bricked it. I tried everything, removing the battery, burning incense, nothing worked. So I removed the battery and bought another VX-1R (used... didn't want to waste the extra battery and after-market antenna I had purchased). Two months later I came across the brick in the back of my junk drawer, said "What the heck", popped a battery in... and it recovered enough for a hard-boot! So, don't throw it out, just remove the battery and wait.

WB8OQC Rating: 5/5 Mar 23, 2007 06:55 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my VX-1R in April 2003 from AES for $125. Performance has been great. I also bought a Diamond SRH-805 antenna for $28. It improved performance by about a third. I prefer factory antennas on handhelds due to appearance so I don't use the Diamond.

M3OXD Rating: 5/5 Mar 19, 2007 08:27 Send this review to a friend
Excellent handy, people you just can't have it all!!!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I don't know why the last two reviewers have given such low rating to a great handheld. I had mine for a year now and it has never locked while scanning or doing anything else, it has never disconnected when placing it on the table. I can only assume these people are smashing it on the desk like a pint on a bar...
Like other ham operators here, I think the audio is amazing for such a small package. I literally sleep with this baby every night. Listen to ham repeaters 30+ miles away, listen to broadcasts, talk on the 2m/70cm repeaters with an aftermarket diamond antenna giving me 3dB gain. Quick recharge, battery holding amazingly, discreet enough to take it to work, on the plane or ride the bike with attached headphones. I will never part with this great little piece of technology. Do you want POWER? Don't buy VX-1R and stop fussing about it.

UK1 Rating: 1/5 Jun 17, 2005 10:43 Send this review to a friend
Don't buy for RX  Time owned: more than 12 months
Very tinny, quiet audio. Switches itself off when put down on table due to bottom mounted battery cover design. Hopeless at memory scanning -- locks up constantly. Forever crashing. Sensitivity seems to vary wildly at times -- may be battery state dependant -- but is usually very sensitive on 70cms. Poor battery life. It's just too damned small, fiddly and fragile, and the antenna supplied is hopeless outside 70cms. Buy one of the more modern rigs instead.

At least it can be opened up for wide TX easily...

KC0REY Rating: 0/5 Mar 14, 2005 09:40 Send this review to a friend
Sucky little radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Very poor audio, no power, Band scan only? What a waste of money.

My ALinco DJ-V5 (slightly larger, allot heavier) will toast this little piece of junk.

It is for sale

WO4C Rating: 4/5 Mar 6, 2005 21:57 Send this review to a friend
Suprising Little Unit  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have a couple of these HT's and find that they are very adequate for recieve but real weak on transmit. I use mine as backups for emergency response. I cross band repeat through the dual bander in the pickup - they're great for that.

They're a lot of fun to listen to if you don't mind the lengthy time it take to jump from and scan across the bands. I really like the compact size - drops well in a shirt pocket without a lot of weight. Draw back is the lack of dual recieve.

I bought the first one about 4 or 5 yrs ago and the second one a couple of years ago (when Yeasu closed them out for about $100.00). Both still perform as well as they ever did.

Tony - WO4C

N5TXN Rating: 4/5 Jun 18, 2004 10:36 Send this review to a friend
Cool little toy  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought a used VX-1 in very good condition. The radio works well. I have programmed in all the local PD & FD frequencies (all VHF-High) plus my local club 2M repeater and the little things picks up everything just great. I am using the stock antenna, so I am not sure about the reviews that recommed getting a different antenna.
I don't like scanning by band, but it is a Ham Radio, not a scanner, so I'll live with it.
Picks up the airport tower and planes about 3 miles away just fine. FM Broadcast reception has been poor, but who cares. Programming is easy to learn, in fact I figured out everthing except the PL Tones without RTFM. I didn't think I would like the way the volume and squelch works, but actually I think it is just fine. I reprogrammed the top knob to be volume for about an hour and switched back to the factory way. I liked it better.
I still want a VX-7, but I am very happy with the VX-1.

G4XTA Rating: 5/5 Jun 18, 2004 06:05 Send this review to a friend
A Wonderful Surprise!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I only bought this diminutive matchbox as a novelty. But man, what a great radio!
Sure, there's tougher and higher-powered sets around, but this has the lot - every bit of the radio spectrum you could want, and always with you! Now I never miss the news on FM broadcast at the office.
BEST OF ALL is the operating system. I'm a well-known 'cry-baby' who's always complaining and belly-aching about difficult and complex software on modern rigs - (Some I've bought recently were so darned complicated and had such rotten audio that I returned them to the store)- but this little beauty can be operated STRAIGHT FROM THE WRAPPER. After only two days I could even fill in complex memories with alpha-numeric tags and only had to check the manual once. Now, that's a real acheivement on a rig with such vast capabilities! And the TX audio is almost 'broadcast quality'. Thank goodness I found this rig in a store just before they went obsolete. Look around, there's a few still available, and cheap. This radio is a true classic.

VK7ZJA Rating: 4/5 Apr 15, 2004 19:32 Send this review to a friend
magic, but....  Time owned: more than 12 months
Gosh, what a cute little thing.
The receiver is very sensitive in the usual bands (118-175 MHz, 400-500 MHz) and sounds very good, especially given its small size.
Transmitter is quite OK, too, but as you'd expect is pretty low powered given the size.
But, you can't expect miracles from 300mW and you have to use it with that limitation in mind, and once you get used to that, it continues to impress. How can something so small receive so well?
Battery life is brilliant due to Li-ion battery, and charges very fast.
User interface is a little tough to master, but you put up with that, given the lack of a keypad to help keep the size to its dimunitive dimensions.
The PC software is an absolute MUST, however.
Now, the bad bits: scanning - one band at a time only. Even if you do the scan_any_band mod, it will still only actually *receive* one band, due to the long VCO settling time. If that could be fixed, then the score would be higher.
Just perfect for popping into your pocket to monitor whats going on around you, while keeping a very discreet profile.
This will be a hard act to follow, and if the scanning can be fixed up somehow, Yaesu will be on a real winner.