Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Yaesu VX-1R Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu VX-1R
Yaesu  VX-1R Reviews: 21 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $159.95 (HRO- $99.95 12/19/02)
Description: TINY Dual-Band VHF/UHF palm transceiver... with 8 additional receive bands.
More info: http://www.yaesu.com/amateur/vx1r.html

You can write your own review of the Yaesu VX-1R.

NS6Y Rating: 5/5 Mar 29, 2004 07:04 Send this review to a friend
My little friend!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
What a fun little radio! I wish I still had mine, I listened to tons of interesting stuff on the wide recieve, sorry I can't divulge it, FCC rules. I did the odd QSO on the Catalina Island repeater from the Newport Coast, and did OK with it too. Given the low power and the fact that I never went and got a better antenna for it, I used it mainly for listening, but wow, what great sound out of such a TINY radio, and for hours and hours on a charge. There are only a few buttons on it, but with the guidance of "R.F. Radio" in the manual, you'll be navigating the menus and setting it up how you like it in no time. Now that this is discontinued, I'd recommend you get one while you can and the battery pack that allows using a regular AA cell and keep it around, you won't regret it!

KE4UOP Rating: 5/5 Dec 7, 2003 17:13 Send this review to a friend
For the long haul...  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my VX-1R for many years and it works as well now as it did the day I got for Christmas. True, it is deaf as a post with the supplied antenna, but with an inexpensive aftermarket (I have a Diamond)antenna it works great!

KC9DQQ Rating: 4/5 Nov 27, 2003 02:14 Send this review to a friend
Great...within limits ...  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Bought a used one on Ebay as a second HT...use as a monitor for alternate channel in events, etc.
Works great, with a new antenna! With a Maldol 2m-70cm flex whip I can hit nearby repeaters - mostly I use to monitor NOAA weather radio ...
I find the belt clip OK, except for a tendency to leave the radio in the last chair I sat in ...
Multi-band coverage is cool, not that I have used it much ... AM broadcast band coverage is almost useless, I have tried to use on Chicago all-news station but with no real dependable success ...
To sum up, I would never give up my Icom T-90A handheld, but the VX-1 is a useful accessory as long as you don't rely on it as your only radio ... I do plan to buy a VX-2 in the future to see if it has been improved.

KG4ABM Rating: 4/5 Nov 26, 2003 20:02 Send this review to a friend
Good... while it worked  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased this rig at the 2001 Huntsville Hamfest in place of a VX-5r i had at the time. I wanted something smaller, and lighter, but not giving up too many features. For nearly a year and a half, this rig held up to my worst: long trips on the school bus and unforgiving bumps and scrapes in my backpack. Finally, the audio on transmit went out. In other words, when I transmit, no audio is transmitted with the signal. I purchased a new Icom at the 2003 hamfest, and now use that as my primary handheld. The VX-1r has become my scanner, of sorts, when we have emergency events in town. Overall, i give the VX-1r a 4 out of 5. I would only purchase it if you dont plan on using it very often and/or in a rugged enviroment.

N2TUK Rating: 5/5 Jun 7, 2003 16:51 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
Excellent radio would buy it again!

Buy an antenna for it. The stock antenna listens as well as a dummyload. After replacement the radio performs well. The software to program is helpful but not always needed.

KD7EVS Rating: 5/5 Mar 25, 2003 21:50 Send this review to a friend
love it  Time owned: more than 12 months
This radio was a gift to me about a week after it came out. I LOVE IT! It has a couple of little problems... here are my notes about it.

1) being able to fine tune would be nice some times, where the 5hz isn't close enough
2) the antenna isn't very durable, buy the adapter and put a cheap whip on.
3) the battery compartment door (which also has one of the battery contacts on it) can after months/years of use start to lose connectivity with the battery. bumping the door can cut the power off
4) it makes a real nice hand warmer for long winter QSOs.
5) the belt clip is useless.
6) the rubber covers that protect the power jack and mic/speaker jack don't last long.

Now all that being said, I'm a little hard on HTs. but the VX-1R keeps on ticking, after numerous times of falling out of a backpack onto rocks and into the mud. Or falling out off my belt (darn that beltclip).

All in all I wouldn't trade it for anything, and I'm thinking of buying another one this summer after my wife gets her ticket.

oh, and BUY THE SOFTWARE!!!

KB9YTQ Rating: 5/5 Oct 8, 2002 22:04 Send this review to a friend
Great for beginners  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have had the VX-1R for about 5 months and its my first rig. I've been very pleased with its size, power, receive capabilities. I enjoy being able to take it anywhere I go. When I went to Minneapolis/St. Paul International Airport to watch airplanes, I was able to listen to the airband and then quickly switch over to make my first QSO on 2 metres. Excellent sound quality. It's also very easy to program, with a whole bunch of memories with text labels, and includes places for the storage of a few CTCSS strings for autopatch use. I would recommend buying a) the vinal cover b) an SMA to BNC adapter for the antenna, c) the lapel microphone (MH-34B4B), and d) the AA cell holder (FBA-20) just in case. Although the supplied antenna works just fine, I found that the MFJ-1717 whip antenna (for both 2m/70cm, BNC connector) works even better. Its a great radio to take with you and a great jumping off place for those just entering the hobby.

WA1USV Rating: 5/5 Apr 12, 2002 21:23 Send this review to a friend
Very cool radio!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I do a lot of hiking and backpacking so I was interested in finding a compact and light-weight HT to drop into my pack. At first I was sceptical... you know, small size, small battery, small speaker, small antenna, small power, etc. I was afraid I was going to lose it, or my dog would eat it. But after 9 months, I continue to be impressed. I can hit line-of-sight rptrs up to 15 miles at 50mw (!) and at 1/2 watt, full quieting, and stunning audio reports. I've worked rptrs out to 40 miles, mountain topping, with excellent reports.

I added a 17" Pryme antenna which enhanced in-band performance and made FM broadcast and weather band come alive.

The supplied lith-oin battery also does quite well. Freshly charged, its voltage (built-in meter) is 4v, but that quickly drops to the battery's nominal voltage of 3.7-3.6v. From 3.5v the battery life quickly deteriorates but the HT can still transmit (at low power) down to 2.9-3.0v. After that, the receiver will still function even to the point the LED display begins to dim.

Programming is logically laid out but I found I had to do a lot of memorizing to avoid consulting the manual each time.

If you must have 5 watts (is this a magic number?) then get the big brother VX-5r instead. But hey, Dick Tracy, the VX-5 will look a little funny velcroed onto you wrist!

N2XE Rating: 5/5 Apr 8, 2002 15:38 Send this review to a friend
Neater Than My Speckled Hounds Pups!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It's smaller than you think from the photos. Given what it's designed to do, Yeasu engineers did a fantastic job with features, mechanical packaging and egonomics. The radio is cute and robust.

This is one of the few radios that has a stock antenna that's remotely close to resonant in both bands and does a decent job. You get a choice of 50mW and 500mW output with the Li-Ion battery and a whopping 1W with external 6-volt supply.

What it isn't is a full-fledged dual-band HT so don't even think you're gonna get one and do everything with it. OK? This is a 9.11 radio that you can carry with you always and could come in handy if catastrophy strikes.

Beware, it's tiny and so is the audio. That little itty bitty speaker won't cut through the wind noise of your '63 Chevy pick-up at 60 MPH with the windows down. If that's what you want to do, don't buy this radio and bitch about it later.

It is however a little, capable, go anywhere, communication device that works remarkably well and at an affordable (incredible) price. Hats off to Yaesu!

KG6IXW Rating: 5/5 Mar 24, 2002 00:32 Send this review to a friend
Revised Review  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My prior review was submitted before I was able to try-out the Yaesu programming software.

I am very happy with the transmit and reception on 144 and 440. Also, I am very happy with my reception of police and fire freqs.

The biggest draw-back is that you can only scan one band at a time. So, if all the frequencies you want to listen to are all in the same band, you should be fine.

You MUST get the programming software to precisely program frequencies in the 470-510 bands. You just can't do it with only the buttons and tuning dial and its a lot easier once you get the hang of uploading the data to your radio.

When you use the programming software, follow the prompts when downloading from your radio to the computer. First thing, start a template and DO NOT try to name your template. Just use the default "template" name in the dialogue box. If you change the name, all the information you input from your computer will be for naught as you seem to only get one template file.

I'm getting great coverage of my local repeaters on 1/2 watt with the stock antenna (as I said in my prior review, my repeaters are all line-of-sight).

Mighty fine little dual-bander+scanner for $130 (plus scanning software for about $40).

Have fun.