Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | DIAMOND X-200A Help

Reviews Summary for DIAMOND X-200A
DIAMOND X-200A Reviews: 29 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $150.00
Description: ANTENNA

You can write your own review of the DIAMOND X-200A.

K3ROJ Rating: 5/5 May 24, 2012 05:08 Send this review to a friend
Watch your power  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After having my XNA500 146/440 antenna fail, I bought the X200 at HRO. They still use small capacitors to resonate the antenna for 146 and 440 Mhz. Doing some research on GOOGLE, I found someone who has repaired these antennas: http://on3jt.byze.be/repair-a-diamond-x200-vhfuhf-antenna
After repairing the XN500, it failed again and discovered that attempting to operate ATV on the 440 band causes these capacitors to fail since video spikes surpassed the 200 watt rating. These small capacitors are difficult to find but RF Parts do have them. My new X200 performs as well as any antenna I have ever used.

VE3ATM Rating: 5/5 Apr 26, 2012 18:45 Send this review to a friend
Very Happy with the Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the Diamond X200a as I just purchased a dual band radio. I replaced a 6 element beam that I had been using on 2M for a number of years. The reception is every bit as good as the beam, but even better when you consider you don't have to keep rotating the antenna to pickup the numerous repeaters I like to monitor.

I have hit a number of repeaters in both the 2M and 70cm bands that are 60+ miles away using low power (5W) with full quieting.

I would recommend this antenna to anyone moving to a dual band radio. You can expect performance as good as a 6 element beam without the need to keep rotating the antenna for maximum performance.

Like a few of the other folks that have reviewed this antenna in the past, I ensured everything was properly assembled and tight then after screwing the top and bottom sections together I ran a bead of silicone around the top mounting screw.

I also sealed the PL-259 with CoaxWrap before mounting the antenna to the base. That is the best waterproofing wrap I have every used. I would recommend it to anyone looking to weatherproof connectors without the mess of rubber tape and electrical tape.

NI4JM Rating: 2/5 Sep 29, 2011 05:43 Send this review to a friend
Aggravating!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have owned several Diamond X-50 antennas that have worked wonderfully for years. I decided to try the next model up since I had more room and figured the extra gain would help. SWR was 3:1 across 2M and 2:1 across 70cm. It has been taken down 3 times and cleaned, re-flowed the solder connections once and the antenna is still not working right. I also checked the feedline to make sure I wasn't fooling myself. So, I just ordered another X-50 to replace this hunk-o-junk. I know they work well.

N6GRY Rating: 5/5 Jun 4, 2011 20:26 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have owned the X-200A for about 4 months, and it has performed wonderfully with my Kenwood TM-V71A and LMR-400 coax. Matching was fantastic, with the highest match accross 2/70 @ 1.6:1. I use eham reviews to find real user experiences on all my ham equipment and have not been disapointed. I don't use eham reviews as a bible, but it definitely aids in the search for equipment. The Diamond X-200A is one antenna I would recommend to a friend.

VK5LA Rating: 5/5 Jan 16, 2011 06:46 Send this review to a friend
Impressive Performer...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I picked up a near new unit for a good price with the intention of using it for 2/70cm FM in our local field day contests...Mounted on a portable mast at about 4 metres high and driven by my IC-910H saw simplex contacts out to 200km + on both bands during the contest. Excellent!

KB4OIF Rating: 5/5 Oct 8, 2010 05:06 Send this review to a friend
A keeper  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Great Antenna. I am hitting repeaters between 50 and 70 miles away and it is only up 26 feet. SWR was almost flat. This one is a keeper for sure.

KJ6GEU Rating: 5/5 Jun 16, 2010 20:36 Send this review to a friend
Excellent!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Excellent antenna, listens and talks very well on both 70cm and 2m. Love it!

KE4EX Rating: 5/5 Jun 16, 2010 18:51 Send this review to a friend
# 4 # $ 4 $ GRRReat  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Ease of everything.
This is one great antenna
I would buy another.

ZL1PO Rating: 5/5 Feb 21, 2009 18:02 Send this review to a friend
AAA+++  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned a X200A for over 12 years.Originally installed as a home station antenna after three years it made way for a X510 copy.Since then it has been used on many public service events in the field atop a 8m field mast and many times as cross band repeater antenna.Due to the field abuse over the years of putting it up and down many times in all kinds of weather the set screw internal thread at the base of the antenna alloy hub which secures the antenna to the support tube was worn out and stripped.To simplify field assembly two one inch vertical hacksaw cuts 90 degrees to each other were made to the top of the antenna support tube.Now a hose clamp secures the antenna to the support tube.The three stainless rod radials over time have also had to be replaced due to numerous antenna crashes :-(
Due to the high UV in our region the fiberglass radome tubes have lost their colour turned opaque.
Over all a good quality well engineered antenna which I would highly recommend. 73 de ZL1PO John

N0YXE Rating: 5/5 Sep 1, 2008 19:27 Send this review to a friend
EXCELLENCE FOR THE BUCK!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This antenna is very high quality. It is easy to assemble. BE SURE TO TAP ON THE TOP ELEMENT TO GET THE ROD CONNECTOR TO MOVE DOWN THE TUBE! The manual forgot to mention this. I bought this antenna because I need to have some decent gain due to the long coax run to the deck: 100' of RG8U and 20' of LMR- 400. It's mounted at twenty feet above ground and when connected to my FT-7800R that puts out 50/40 watts, I'm able to get to most all repeaters in the urban and suburban area. If you need help, with trying to figure out how to get the rod element out of the top tube, or how to get another connector screw after you're dropped it on the ground (my wife found it!) the technical support people are really nice and will do everything to help you. Diamond gear if always First Rate and you will enjoy using this antenna. The price is right.