Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | DIAMOND X-200A Help

Reviews Summary for DIAMOND X-200A
DIAMOND X-200A Reviews: 31 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $150.00
Description: ANTENNA

You can write your own review of the DIAMOND X-200A.

ZL1PO Rating: 5/5 Feb 21, 2009 18:02 Send this review to a friend
AAA+++  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned a X200A for over 12 years.Originally installed as a home station antenna after three years it made way for a X510 copy.Since then it has been used on many public service events in the field atop a 8m field mast and many times as cross band repeater antenna.Due to the field abuse over the years of putting it up and down many times in all kinds of weather the set screw internal thread at the base of the antenna alloy hub which secures the antenna to the support tube was worn out and stripped.To simplify field assembly two one inch vertical hacksaw cuts 90 degrees to each other were made to the top of the antenna support tube.Now a hose clamp secures the antenna to the support tube.The three stainless rod radials over time have also had to be replaced due to numerous antenna crashes :-(
Due to the high UV in our region the fiberglass radome tubes have lost their colour turned opaque.
Over all a good quality well engineered antenna which I would highly recommend. 73 de ZL1PO John

N0YXE Rating: 5/5 Sep 1, 2008 19:27 Send this review to a friend
EXCELLENCE FOR THE BUCK!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This antenna is very high quality. It is easy to assemble. BE SURE TO TAP ON THE TOP ELEMENT TO GET THE ROD CONNECTOR TO MOVE DOWN THE TUBE! The manual forgot to mention this. I bought this antenna because I need to have some decent gain due to the long coax run to the deck: 100' of RG8U and 20' of LMR- 400. It's mounted at twenty feet above ground and when connected to my FT-7800R that puts out 50/40 watts, I'm able to get to most all repeaters in the urban and suburban area. If you need help, with trying to figure out how to get the rod element out of the top tube, or how to get another connector screw after you're dropped it on the ground (my wife found it!) the technical support people are really nice and will do everything to help you. Diamond gear if always First Rate and you will enjoy using this antenna. The price is right.

N2GOK Rating: 5/5 Aug 27, 2008 12:40 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna. Replaces a Comet CX333  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I went to a smaller antenna because my Comet CX-333 broke doing a fall. It wasn't cost effective to repair or replace as I was not on 220 anymore so I decided to get a smaller dual-band replacement.
With the Diamond so far I notice no difference in reception on 2 meters or 440.
I think it was a good choice and a lot smaller replacement for casual use.
Will update more this winter.

KF4TQJ Rating: 5/5 Sep 4, 2007 16:53 Send this review to a friend
Hot  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this antenna up at least 8 years and I bought it used. No problems. Works great!
73's
Woody / KF4TQJ

VA3BIX Rating: 4/5 Aug 5, 2006 11:08 Send this review to a friend
Good quality  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The Diamond X-200A was purchased for the simple reason that I required a dual band antenna to work with my new Yaesu FT-8800R transceiver.
On the 2M band, the X-200A performs as well as my old Ringo Ranger. SWR is next to nil anywhere on the band.
With 50 watts, I'm able to reach a repeater 99 kilometers away and check in to the evening net there every day of the week.
The general high structural quality and packaging of the Diamond product give me the feeling that I won't soon be up the mast making repairs.
While most of my contacts are on local repeaters within a 50 kilometer range, I'm confident that the X-200A will be adequate for my rather simple needs.

KG9SF Rating: 5/5 May 12, 2006 11:37 Send this review to a friend
Better Than Expected  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently replaced my old (late 70's) Ringo Ranger with the Diamond X200A. The antenna went together easily. I added a bead of silicone sealant around the top edge of the upper half of the connector to enhance weatherability. That'll make it difficult to disassemble, but I'll risk it for the lessened chance of getting water in there.

The antenna performs like a champ! I'm hearing signals that I never heard before, and I'm accessing repeaters with 5 watts that used to require 75 watts. I knew this would be a better antenna than my old one. but I had no idea it would be quite this good. Two thumbs up!

VE6XL Rating: 5/5 Apr 16, 2006 02:59 Send this review to a friend
140km Coverage  Time owned: more than 12 months
This antenna works excellent.

It is mounted at 10m and has a range of 140km +/- (50w on 2m).

SWR is flat across both the 2m and 70cm bands.

The peformance is much better than a previous Cushcraft AR-2 used at the same height. I would recommend this antenna to anyone looking for a dual band omni directional base antenna.

VE6XL
www.ve6xl.ca

KA2UUP Rating: 5/5 Dec 28, 2005 11:56 Send this review to a friend
No problems here in 4 years  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hit repeaters 50 miles from home with this one on both bands at 50/30 Watts VHF/UHF, respectively. Also the ISS with the same power. Highly recommended!

VK7HAY Rating: 5/5 Nov 27, 2005 02:45 Send this review to a friend
EXCELLENT  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The Diamond X-200 is a wonderful antenna for the VHF/UHF serious and casual operator. I have 22m or RG-213 running to my Yaesu FT-7800R at a height of 11m. I get out to most repeaters S5+ out @ 50km. Simplex around the place is wonderful with stations I have not heard before. The construction of the Diamond is wonderful. Nice quality. Nice work Diamond!!!

KG6WLV Rating: 5/5 Sep 9, 2005 19:34 Send this review to a friend
Nice antenna!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just installed this at my QTH two weeks ago and I am pleased. It is installed on my roof, about 27 feet above ground. With my TS-2000, I can hit local repeaters full quieting with minimal power, and also some distant repeaters beyond the East Bay hills with modest power -- 20 watts or so on 2-meters. 440 simplex is great, even in our hilly Bay Area terrain.
This is my first antenna project -- I've just gotten on the air -- and the antenna was easy to assemble and install, and seems to hold up well against windy conditions. One problem I had when putting the antenna together, you should be aware of: The waterproofing gasket between the upper and lower halves of the antenna slides to a marking. Unfortunately, it's not clear on which side of the line the gasket belongs! LOL I had trouble getting the antenna to perform properly on 2-meters until I reassmbled it, making sure the pin from the bottom half contacted the tube in the upper half. Other than that, no sweat. I also think this would be an easy antenna to put together for a Field Day exercise. You can repackage it in the handy plastic sleeve in which the antenna is sold.