Reviews Categories | Packet TNCs | AEA PK-232 Help

Reviews Summary for AEA PK-232
AEA PK-232 Reviews: 5 Average rating: 3.4/5 MSRP: $549.95
Description: Muti-mode TNC, 300, 600, 1200, 2400, 4800 and 9600 baud
More info: http:/www.timewave.com

You can write your own review of the AEA PK-232.

W2DAB Rating: 5/5 Jun 29, 2016 21:22 Send this review to a friend
Old work horse stands steady  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I revived one of these old packet modems with just a little work and a lot of help from the tech guy at Timewave. As old as these are, you can still get cables for them and with some soldering I was able to hook mine up to an FT-2900 and now I check in to a local PBBS in Long Island.
The model I have has an internal battery soldered to the board, eventually I will get around to replacing it but I am very happy with this old model. For 20. on eBay and about 15 more on cables and it works just as well as modems costing hundreds more.

G3EJS Rating: 1/5 Jan 31, 2013 02:46 Send this review to a friend
OK performer, expensive to support  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had mine for more than 12 years now, the last few years spent in a box in the garage.
Always been an OK performer, didn't get used that much as I had a Kam which can do more and is easier to use.
Got it out a couple of weeks ago, and realised I couldn't find the software.

Looked on Timewave's website, it seems that I have to buy software!
Even a simple rom upgrade looks around $50.

Maybe they would do better by giving good service for old models, than trying to squeeze the last cent out of us. I've now abandoned ideas of getting a newer one.

Not worth the ten pounds they go for on ebay.

I know there is other software, firstly I don't have time to play with it and see what works, and secondly the paid for software is ludicrously expensive, costing many times the value of the unit itself.

All I want is the basic software like it came with, surely that should not be charged for, after all any 232 must have came with it, and they were never cloned in the east!!!

SWL377 Rating: 3/5 Jan 27, 2007 17:54 Send this review to a friend
OK, but PK 900 better  Time owned: more than 12 months
I liked my PK 232 MBX until I bought a PK 900. The 900 is a waaaay better unit. That cheap used swap meet PK 232 isnt so much of a bargain after you have to pay for upgrades and PK 900s are available used for about the same total amount. I have used a stock MFJ 1278 (poor), a PK 232 MBX (OK) and a PK 900 (incredible). I am no longer tempted by non MBX PK 232s at the swap meets for $35.

KB3ING Rating: 5/5 Feb 23, 2004 14:33 Send this review to a friend
Old.. but still a great product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought a PK-232 on ebay about a week ago, got all the cables I would need, and fired it up. I was amazed that a box that was probably about 15 years old still worked, and even more amazed to find that the box is still supported by Timewave. It does a great job with packet, and RTTY, and even does a fair job decoding CW. I called Timewave today to get the MBX upgrade and the new firmware. This box was certianly a buy on ebay for $50... and the ability to upgrade after all these years makes this an A+ product.

KB3CAX Rating: 3/5 Apr 15, 2000 21:35 Send this review to a friend
Good performance, but rough around the edges  Time owned: unknown months
I've been using my PK-232MBX on RTTY, PacTOR, and Packet whenever the mood strikes for about a year now. The "fit and finish" of this unit leaves some to be desired, as does the poorly written manual. The tuning indicator is too small for easy tuning. On the plus side, however, performance is good, there is lots of free software available, and FSK mode is included. So, if you're a casual operator like me, or need a TNC for PacketCluster or back-up, then the 232 is a good choice.