Reviews Categories | Packet TNCs | AEA PK-96 9600 Baud TNC Help

Reviews Summary for AEA PK-96 9600 Baud TNC
AEA PK-96 9600 Baud TNC Reviews: 1 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $219.95
Description: The 9600/1200 bps PK-96 comes with 1200 bps AFSK tone signaling, as well as 9600 bps K9NG and G3RUH compatible direct frequency modulation, making it a truly high performance data controller. There is even a modem disconnect header for installing other modems. The PK-96 not only makes an excellent terrestrial data controller, it can also be used for high-speed data links between packet systems. In addition to the modems, we have included separate TX pots for 1200 bps and 9600 bps on the back panel, plus an external reset to return the TNC to factory defaults.
More info: http://www.timewave.com/

You can write your own review of the AEA PK-96 9600 Baud TNC.

WD8BMP Rating: 5/5 Jun 15, 2002 09:11 Send this review to a friend
Still good solid hardware  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hello all. Well, I have tried alot of other tnc's over the years. PK232MBX,KAM+,KPC3+ PicoPacket,PMP,and the latest soundcard intfc with software.Each item has it's strong points and weak points.I was looking for a solid performer to do APRS and also 9600 baud sat.I have used many software/soundcard interfaces most of which work just fine,however I was having difficulty with getting some software to work in conjunction with one particular pc hardware,I opted to buy the PK96. What I was looking for was a plug-n-play situation out of the box without alot of error setup problems, IRQ conflicts,hardware incompatablity issues etc. This PK96 works! Period! Made my own cable wired per manual instructions, connected too pc, installed sftwr and within minutes up and running.
This PK96 reminds me of the old PK88/AEA days back in late '80's. Excellent quality,performance,all without errors or hair pulling problems. APRS is a snap with this hardware. 9600baud out of the box works excellent as well on 440 with 9600 baud radio. All items: tnc itself,manual,cables,are all total quality and very pleased with everything. IF you're looking for a good tnc for APRS and 9600baud ability, might take a closer look at this item again. Knowing that you can download sftwr off the net plug couple cables into soundcard and get similar results for much less; there are situations that software and pc interaction will produce some conflicts,bugs,incompatablility issues. For these times, perhaps this tnc is the answer? It was for me. I am very pleased with the overal package,although is not very inexpensive, considering what you get and how well its manufactured and performs, I would recommend anyone too "revisit" this "outboard" tnc.