Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | Finger Tip Tapper Help

Reviews Summary for Finger Tip Tapper
Finger Tip Tapper Reviews: 14 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $29.95
Description: Iambic key which uses finger tip control rather than a paddle
More info: http://www.fingertiptapper.com/

You can write your own review of the Finger Tip Tapper.

W9EL Rating: 5/5 Sep 30, 2002 21:08 Send this review to a friend
Very portable/Buttons have nice feel  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm very happy with the feel of the Tapper. It's not quite the same feel as my K8RA paddles, but will be great for portable operation. I use the side of my thumb for the dits button and index finger for dahs button, and almost no re-learning is required. The only thing I had to get used to was hearing the switches click on open as well as close; was not a big deal. BTW, I got the custom version with a picture of the Elecraft K2, and the photo is very nice and sharp, much better than the photo on the Tapper website. The customer support was excellent, with emails answered promptly.

N7ORS Rating: 5/5 Aug 31, 2002 00:45 Send this review to a friend
Something new under the sun  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
They say there is nothing new under the sun....Well concerning the Finger Tip Tapper they would be wrong. This little ditty is a must for qrp'ers, mobilers and portable operators. If you have used paddles before the learning curve of switching to the "tapper" is about 10 minutes. I found that you can also use it as a straight key "Tapper" if you don't have a keyer. I ordered the "horizontally polarized" model in green with custom callsign and received it in three days.
This little number is well constructed. Strongly recommend.

KZ1X Rating: 5/5 Apr 6, 2002 10:11 Send this review to a friend
TipTop To Travel!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I wish I could send a picture of my custom Finger Tip Tapper. Jim, N2CAU has the perfect solution for those of us who travel for work and needed to get something inexpensive -but useful- for a paddle, which also traveled well. I have other keys and I will still use them, but for a quick trip, this is what is getting packed now.

Your Tapper comes personalized for you when ordered. Mine has a picture of my Elecraft K2 on it, and my own name and Call sign!

A small caveat: There is a non-zero learning curve for this key, so practice a bit with it before you jump on the air. I did so by sending a page or two of plain text to my PC CW decoder, and got 100% error free copy.

I find that the Tapper operates best at speeds below 22 WPM (operator induced limit, but a function of the switch travel). This is OK with me, since 20 is the absolute max (conversational) speed I can comfortably copy anyway.

It come pre-wired, too, which is another bonus.

The flat Tapper, slightly larger than a buisness card, does not move around while keying, and fits with ease on top of the radio when packing. The magnetic base helps even more if operating on a steel surface. I even tried it UNDER a steel-cased radio, and keyed 'backwards' just by reaching up with 2 fingers! fantastic! Make sure to NOT pack this in with credit cards or other cards that have magnetic stripes on them. It will erase them.

For $29.95 shipped, Jim has a super deal here.

NV7E Rating: 5/5 Mar 5, 2002 10:31 Send this review to a friend
Revolutionary new approach to iambic keying  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
If you have ever traveled by air with your rig, you know that taking a regular iambic paddle is like carrying a brick in your suitcase. You can get around that problem by carrying a small portable paddle, but it will be too light to stay put on your operating position when you are using it. Magnets to keep a paddle down won't hold too well to a rig case made mostly of aluminum.

Jim, N2CAU, has solved this problem once and for all with his new Finger Tip Tapper. In doing so, he has also brought about a transition as great as that which happened when iambic keying itself was invented. The Finger Tip Tapper concept is deceptively simple. It is a one-ounce credit-card size device with which you send "dits" with one finger and "dahs" with another. The problem putting the idea into practice was getting the switches in the "dit" and "dah" buttons to move fast enough to handle reasonably high speeds of keying. I have been able to send comfortably at at least 20 wpm with mine.

The challenge when you start to use it is similar to the one you experience when you graduate from a straight key to a paddle, but within a few minutes you should have the hang of it. The Finger Tip Tapper won't move around on your operating space, because your fingers are moving downward rather than side to side. Your fingers may occasionally move off of the buttons, but the device comes with a solution for this, a set of self-adhesive plastic "bumpers" (not seen in the web site photo) which you place over the key buttons. The bumpers not only keep your fingers in place but also seem to improve control. You can place them so your fingers are right next to each other and so you are keying with your fingers resting on the bumpers without really tapping. From now on the Finger Tip Tapper will be the key I travel with and also one I use a lot at home.