Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | WA2NAN True-Talk G5RV Help

Reviews Summary for WA2NAN True-Talk G5RV
WA2NAN True-Talk G5RV Reviews: 253 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $90
Description: An extremely well made G5RV type antenna. Kerry (WA2NAN) builds these antennas with excellent materials and very good attention to detail. The center insulator is a really nice piece of work and all the connections are soldered and have heat shrink tubing on them. I am not affiliated at all with WA2NAN but have one of his antennas and it is great.

Info: kerry@northnet.org

You can write your own review of the WA2NAN True-Talk G5RV.

K2CD Rating: 5/5 Oct 18, 2017 08:46 Send this review to a friend
Working good in the hood.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Purchased this for the 2017 PA QSO Party. Very good results in-state, and decent when the bands lengthened. It loaded up very well on 160M as well, which was a pleasant surprise, and allowed 15 CW contacts I wouldn't have otherwise had. Lots of unsolicited "man, you're strong here" comments on 40 and 80.

Installed as a flat-top at about 42 feet oriented NE/SW. Plan to reinstall it as an Inverted Vee, and hopefully will do better on DX, as my old home-brew one did. Very quiet compared to my old one, too.

Materials and construction are first rate. 20 Meters really plays well. Sometimes signals are as strong as they are on my Mosley TA-33. Overall a very good antenna.

KK5R Rating: 5/5 Sep 21, 2017 14:15 Send this review to a friend
WA2NAN Antennas are Great  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a follow-up to my rating of the WA2NAN G5RV Jr antenna dated January, 2015...

I sent the G5RV Jr to my son in California (N5DIM) when I ordered the full length 102-ft version. My son likes it and it's one of his favorite antennas.

The full version is also very good...! I got it to get 80M capabilities. It does this very well since I can almost use the whole 80M band by using the internal tuner in my FT-450AT. It is up about 60-FT and while it may be be better at other heights on some bands, I cannot complaining about how the antenna works.

I added an "ugly balun" at the feedpoint of the antenna per recommendations of WA2NAN and it tunes up better than before. The balun is a coil of RG-8X that is 18-Ft long wound on a section of 4-Inch PVC pipe about 6-inches long. The only problem now is that the ends of the antenna are tucked up into the trees at the ends but there's no help for it considering the swamp where I live.

The antenna is recommended for anyone who has the territory to hang up the antenna. No worries about power levels and about working on the HF bands.

The antenna also receives well on LW and MW. Using my IC-718, which is slightly better than the FT-450 on these frequencies. With the IC-718, there are stations that can be heard on the G5RV that are barely discernible with the Yaesu.

I am also an antenna experimenter. I'm now playing with a 53-Ft End Fed Dipole with a 9:1 UnUn. While it's good, it is no better than the WA4NAN G5RV on the HF bands. taking antenna orientation and height into consideration.

As others have noted, the WA2NAN antenna lacks nothing in professionalism in design and workmanship. It is money well-invested and if it does not work as others have said who are satisfied with it, it's time to examine the feedline and the "lay of the land" to see what needs to be redone.

K3TVC Rating: 5/5 Aug 21, 2017 15:41 Send this review to a friend
Excellent quality  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Very good construction. Put it up and ready to use. I also have a 2 element TGM mini beam which I rarely use now since the TrueTalk 102" G5RV covers all my bands with great results. Buy one, you will be pleased.

KC2TYS Rating: 5/5 Jul 11, 2017 18:19 Send this review to a friend
Quality Build  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Kerry builds a superior product at a very fair price range.
The true talk g5rv is superior to my previous antenna which failed at the ladder line connection after 9 years.
I am confident the true talk unit will last longer and at a price delta of $15.00 more is a real bargain.
Additionally Kerry is very responsive to answering guestions., a real gentleman.
Quality build, excellent service and great value also!
You cannot go wrong.

AF8GD Rating: 5/5 Jul 5, 2017 11:57 Send this review to a friend
This antenna is worth every penny.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I received a confirmation email shortly after placing my order. WA2NAN was easy to work with. The antenna arrived as promised and it is very well made and should last a long time. I bought it on the recommendation of a friend and I would not hesitate to recommend it to my friends.

Thank you for a great product.

K6EJ Rating: 5/5 Jun 6, 2017 15:28 Send this review to a friend
Delighted I found Kerry's True-Talk G5RV Jr.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The 5/5 reviews here are well-deserved. I am so glad I found Kerry and True-Talk's G5RV Jr. The build on the antenna is outstanding, so solid. Craftsmanship and quality parts are obvious. Instructions are clear. I emailed Kerry several times throughout the installation and he was readily available and answered all my questions. No attitude from Kerry at all. I am on a small lot so I chose the Jr version, and it fits perfectly. I have it installed in an inverted-V, with the center at the chimney of a two-story house on a fiberglass pole, maybe 30' up.

I definitely needed, as you would expect, an external antenna tuner. I'm using an MFJ-941E tuner, and I'm able to tune the antenna easily. I'm using an Icom IC-7300 transceiver.

I am delighted with its performance. I'm returning to ham radio after an absence of 28 years. I've been running the JT65 digital mode on 20 meters and have worked Finland, Russia, Japan, Germany and all over the USA.

Thank you, Kerry, for all of your support for this great antenna!

VE4RI Rating: 5/5 May 14, 2017 19:34 Send this review to a friend
Worth every dollar!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Worked into Europe and Central America on a 100 watts on the G5RV jr.(Central America was worked off the end). I set it up as an inverted V with the apex at ~34 feet. Very well designed and constructed. I need to replace the centre support pole as the 16 ft 2x4's were a tad swingy for the xyl's liking though. So the antenna apex is currently at ~26 feet. Still "hears" weak signals though.

KC6KNL Rating: 5/5 May 1, 2017 08:51 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna. Built like a tank  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this antenna on eBay from another Ham that bought from WA2NAN. This antenna was never installed.

When I received it, it did not disappoint. I put it 60 feet up in the trees in an inverted V. I can work a lot of stations that I can hear.

Some squirrels chewed up the 75' of RG-8x. Luckily, there was over 25' of coax left, so I wound it on a 4" PVC and made an ugly Balun Choke. I raised the antenna back in the trees, which put the Balun about 30 feet in the air.

The parachute cord broke and the antenna came down 30 feet sitting on a lower branch. This put the Balun about 2 feet above ground. The 34' of ladder line is directly above the Balun.

I still can talk to any station that I can hear.

This antenna, when compared to other Dipoles at your local ham store, is higher in quality and beefiness. You can't make an antenna of this quality if you built it yourself.

Kerry uses some custom parts, which make this antenna stand out.

Highly recommend.

KC3TV Rating: 5/5 Apr 23, 2017 14:08 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Dipole!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just got my second True Talk 102 footer (First was accidentally destroyed when a new roof was put up!). As with prior antenna, this one was easy to put up, is very solid, and has worked great! I'm getting good reports, have no trouble tuning it on multiple bands, and am very happy with it. Ordering process was easy, and Kerry sent it out quickly. Highly Recommended

KB6HRT Rating: 5/5 Apr 13, 2017 12:59 Send this review to a friend
Very Nice  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Replace a 102' G5RV that worked very well for the last 2+ years, the True Talk 204' G5RV works real good at this QTH after I tuned it an installed it correctly, on this small lot, thats what took the time, but well worth it, by the results I am getting, not an easy job for a 77 year old HAM but FUN just the same.. The antenna is less than 2 to 1 SWR on 10-160m where I do my talking an a lot lower on other parts of the band where I listen. The True Talk 204' is a very good G5RV if your short on space, its works well, has a good signal to noise ratio, an a GREAT value............73s..............kb6hrt