Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | WA2NAN True-Talk G5RV Help

Reviews Summary for WA2NAN True-Talk G5RV
WA2NAN True-Talk G5RV Reviews: 203 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $55
Description: An extremely well made G5RV type antenna. Kerry (WA2NAN) builds these antennas with excellent materials and very good attention to detail. The center insulator is a really nice piece of work and all the connections are soldered and have heat shrink tubing on them. I am not affiliated at all with WA2NAN but have one of his antennas and it is great.

Info: kerry@northnet.org

You can write your own review of the WA2NAN True-Talk G5RV.

KB7MGA Rating: 5/5 Apr 28, 2014 15:55 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I put this up for the first time the other evening to work 20m and 40m that night. I installed as an inverted v with the top at 22' and the ends sloping to around 6 feet off of the ground.

Receive and transmit performance were very good!

I worked Switzerland, Brazil, Canada, and several states in the US. I had no issues breaking through pileups within the first 3-4 attempts and sometimes on the first call using 100W.

The quality of this antenna is exceptional and I detected no bleed over to home electronics and no RF energy feeding back through the radio.

The antenna easily tuned using an LDG200; I did not see SWRs above 1.1 on either 40m or 20m.

Kerry is also very good to deal with and puts the customer first.

I have already recommended the antenna to the newly licensed ham two doors down.

73's
KB7MGA

W7WAC Rating: 5/5 Feb 24, 2014 10:08 Send this review to a friend
New Generation True Talk Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have the pleasure to report that after 7 years of faithful operation with the old 204' True Talk I decided while my tower was down for routine maintenance I would replace the old with the New Generation 204' True talk, a without a doubt the finest long wire antenna ever made. After a conversation with Kerry,WA2NAN we made a few custom alterations to length of the lead in coax, only because I did not want to have the coax so long it had to be coiled. After installation this is a portion of the email I sent to Kerry; I then ran some quick tuning tests and what I found, the New Generation True Talk seemed to take less input than the old one for the same amount of output. In other words a great tuning experience. Using 20 watts into the amp, output was 1000+, showing 1:1 after tuner, where as before it would of taken about 25-30 watts input for that same 1000 watt output. (80m)This alone was very impressive, I have a great deal more testing to do but I am confident I will be getting the same results through out the spectrum.
In short, if you want the best in wire antenna's buy a True Talk. Its performance and rigidity is without question the finest and most dependable on the market today.

KA2WBO Rating: 5/5 Feb 9, 2014 11:39 Send this review to a friend
exellant workmanship  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
received today. removed from box. Very pleased at the quality of the build. Rugged construction. Fast service. Highly recommend this person. Thanks again for a quality antenna. Have owned several wire antennas. Would recommend this one to a friend due to it's rugged build.

N3GBW Rating: 5/5 Nov 20, 2013 14:30 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I ordered the 80 meter version for my shop where I do electronics work. I needed something that didn't require a lot of space because I don't have a lot.

I was AMAZED at how well it matches and performs. First contact was ECARS, no big deal there. But my second contact was LY5A. And I only run 100 watts!! He gave me a great signal report, too.

It works well anyplace I need to use the radio. It works well, and it matches with no problem no matter what band I am on.

Sure, you might say you could build your own G5RV, everybody can get the plans, right? Well, maybe you can, but why? Any I ever made myself never performed like Kerry's, and neither did they have the quality Kerry's G5RV's have, either.

I like it so much I just got a second one for my house. GREAT ANTENNA!!

KK4EHE Rating: 5/5 Oct 24, 2013 06:16 Send this review to a friend
Very satisfied!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Yesterday, I put up Kerry's 160 meter version of the G5RV. The quality of the antenna is very impressive. I made my first contact on 160 meters last night and received a good signal report. The antenna's performance on the other bands also appears to be quite good. Great product. Great customer service. Very pleased.

AE4XL Rating: 5/5 Aug 24, 2013 15:20 Send this review to a friend
GREAT WORKMANSHIP  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
MINE just came in today and after looking it over I have to say it has the best workmanship I have ever seen in a G5RV.
IT is true you can buy a cheaper one but why would anyone want to,I think it is worth every penny it cost's.
IT show's KERRY has put a lot of thought,time and work into it and should be very proud of it.
A great job.

KC8KWN Rating: 5/5 Aug 19, 2013 10:25 Send this review to a friend
Great construction!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The materials used are good quality and the workmanship is very good. I would have a hard time making this myself to the standards Kerry has for the price. So far I have worked CA, MI, AZ, MS, FL at 36' with 100 watts or less from Syracuse NY. This is just one weekend of use, so more to follow.
My autotuner can match up quickly on 20 and up and sometimes takes a few seconds on lower bands down to 80. It cannot match on 160, but he sells a bigger version for that.

With coax already attached, this is a fast way to get on the air!

K5ZVG Rating: 5/5 May 24, 2013 09:59 Send this review to a friend
Second one up in the air  Time owned: more than 12 months
The first True-Talk G5RV is still up about 50' for the last three years. Unfortunately, I didn't account properly for the trees swaying, and it snapped in half. It still worked fine but I wanted to correct the situation. My new 102' G5 is now up about 60' and installed with a pulley. The antenna is great and the receive is better than the older G5. Very satisfied with this product.

KG6STS Rating: 5/5 Apr 8, 2013 18:33 Send this review to a friend
Excellent antenna!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased the 102 version circa September 2009. Its about 25 feet in the air strung between two trees. Because of space constraints, the ladder line slopes at a 45 degree angle towards the house before the coax enters the house. Not the ideal configuration. It has remained in that same location ever since; surviving two hurricanes, a tropical storm and all of the normal weather you would expect on the east coast. This antenna is very well constructed and has never failed me.

How well does it work you ask? Using this antenna and a DX Engineering 43 foot vertical (100 watts or less) I have completed the following DX Awards:

ARRL Five Band DXCC (5BDXCC) #7645 (with endorsements for 12, 17 and 30 meters) March 2013.

ARRL Five Band Worked All States (5BWAS) #3,027 (with endorsements for 12, 17 and 30 Meters) January 2012.

RSGB Islands On The Air 100 (IOTA) Mixed #3291 July 2011

ARRL Triple Play Award (TPA): #362 January 2010

ARRL DX Century Club (DXCC) Mixed: #43,509 Feb 2010

Worked All Continents (WAC) Mixed: April 2010

ARRL Worked All States (WAS) Basic: #53,878 July 2009

Does it perform as well as a beam? No. Its not meant to do so. Are there better antennas out there? Possibly. However, in my opinion, if you want an antenna that performs well on most bands, you can NOT beat it.

I plan to install a HEX Beam this fall but rest assured this antenna will remain in the air providing faithful service.

73 DE KG3BOZ

K9AW Rating: 5/5 Mar 31, 2013 16:58 Send this review to a friend
Best 102' G5RV on Market !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Excellent quality, superb construction. Excellent quality & construction make it perfect for the sea water environment at my J68 second home. Up at 60' and works fantastic on all bands. Great coordination with safe, speedy delivery. Thanks Kerry !!