Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | WA2NAN True-Talk G5RV Help

Reviews Summary for WA2NAN True-Talk G5RV
WA2NAN True-Talk G5RV Reviews: 201 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $55
Description: An extremely well made G5RV type antenna. Kerry (WA2NAN) builds these antennas with excellent materials and very good attention to detail. The center insulator is a really nice piece of work and all the connections are soldered and have heat shrink tubing on them. I am not affiliated at all with WA2NAN but have one of his antennas and it is great.

Info: kerry@northnet.org

You can write your own review of the WA2NAN True-Talk G5RV.

KA2WBO Rating: 5/5 Feb 9, 2014 11:39 Send this review to a friend
exellant workmanship  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
received today. removed from box. Very pleased at the quality of the build. Rugged construction. Fast service. Highly recommend this person. Thanks again for a quality antenna. Have owned several wire antennas. Would recommend this one to a friend due to it's rugged build.

N3GBW Rating: 5/5 Nov 20, 2013 14:30 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I ordered the 80 meter version for my shop where I do electronics work. I needed something that didn't require a lot of space because I don't have a lot.

I was AMAZED at how well it matches and performs. First contact was ECARS, no big deal there. But my second contact was LY5A. And I only run 100 watts!! He gave me a great signal report, too.

It works well anyplace I need to use the radio. It works well, and it matches with no problem no matter what band I am on.

Sure, you might say you could build your own G5RV, everybody can get the plans, right? Well, maybe you can, but why? Any I ever made myself never performed like Kerry's, and neither did they have the quality Kerry's G5RV's have, either.

I like it so much I just got a second one for my house. GREAT ANTENNA!!

KK4EHE Rating: 5/5 Oct 24, 2013 06:16 Send this review to a friend
Very satisfied!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Yesterday, I put up Kerry's 160 meter version of the G5RV. The quality of the antenna is very impressive. I made my first contact on 160 meters last night and received a good signal report. The antenna's performance on the other bands also appears to be quite good. Great product. Great customer service. Very pleased.

AE4XL Rating: 5/5 Aug 24, 2013 15:20 Send this review to a friend
GREAT WORKMANSHIP  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
MINE just came in today and after looking it over I have to say it has the best workmanship I have ever seen in a G5RV.
IT is true you can buy a cheaper one but why would anyone want to,I think it is worth every penny it cost's.
IT show's KERRY has put a lot of thought,time and work into it and should be very proud of it.
A great job.

KC8KWN Rating: 5/5 Aug 19, 2013 10:25 Send this review to a friend
Great construction!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The materials used are good quality and the workmanship is very good. I would have a hard time making this myself to the standards Kerry has for the price. So far I have worked CA, MI, AZ, MS, FL at 36' with 100 watts or less from Syracuse NY. This is just one weekend of use, so more to follow.
My autotuner can match up quickly on 20 and up and sometimes takes a few seconds on lower bands down to 80. It cannot match on 160, but he sells a bigger version for that.

With coax already attached, this is a fast way to get on the air!

K5ZVG Rating: 5/5 May 24, 2013 09:59 Send this review to a friend
Second one up in the air  Time owned: more than 12 months
The first True-Talk G5RV is still up about 50' for the last three years. Unfortunately, I didn't account properly for the trees swaying, and it snapped in half. It still worked fine but I wanted to correct the situation. My new 102' G5 is now up about 60' and installed with a pulley. The antenna is great and the receive is better than the older G5. Very satisfied with this product.

KG6STS Rating: 5/5 Apr 8, 2013 18:33 Send this review to a friend
Excellent antenna!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased the 102 version circa September 2009. Its about 25 feet in the air strung between two trees. Because of space constraints, the ladder line slopes at a 45 degree angle towards the house before the coax enters the house. Not the ideal configuration. It has remained in that same location ever since; surviving two hurricanes, a tropical storm and all of the normal weather you would expect on the east coast. This antenna is very well constructed and has never failed me.

How well does it work you ask? Using this antenna and a DX Engineering 43 foot vertical (100 watts or less) I have completed the following DX Awards:

ARRL Five Band DXCC (5BDXCC) #7645 (with endorsements for 12, 17 and 30 meters) March 2013.

ARRL Five Band Worked All States (5BWAS) #3,027 (with endorsements for 12, 17 and 30 Meters) January 2012.

RSGB Islands On The Air 100 (IOTA) Mixed #3291 July 2011

ARRL Triple Play Award (TPA): #362 January 2010

ARRL DX Century Club (DXCC) Mixed: #43,509 Feb 2010

Worked All Continents (WAC) Mixed: April 2010

ARRL Worked All States (WAS) Basic: #53,878 July 2009

Does it perform as well as a beam? No. Its not meant to do so. Are there better antennas out there? Possibly. However, in my opinion, if you want an antenna that performs well on most bands, you can NOT beat it.

I plan to install a HEX Beam this fall but rest assured this antenna will remain in the air providing faithful service.

73 DE KG3BOZ

K9AW Rating: 5/5 Mar 31, 2013 16:58 Send this review to a friend
Best 102' G5RV on Market !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Excellent quality, superb construction. Excellent quality & construction make it perfect for the sea water environment at my J68 second home. Up at 60' and works fantastic on all bands. Great coordination with safe, speedy delivery. Thanks Kerry !!

KD2BRN Rating: 5/5 Jan 27, 2013 11:07 Send this review to a friend
Verry Happy   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
To say I'm very happy with the 102' True-Talk G5RV I Ordered is another satified customer. I like the way it was made. I waited until after a big storm that went through this area. (Long Island,NY) I was only able to get the Apex To about 15' off the ground,and with a S hook on the guide ring of my Telescopic mast pipe that's in the middle of a Cherry Tree. I have one leg NE to a tree where I screw in a open hook and a piece of 1/8" rope to the wire end with a D ring to pop on the hook at about 8'. I did the same on a leg to the SE where a shed has a hook and Eye at 8' and hooked a 1/8" rope and I must say I have had many contacts from Main to South Carolina, and many states in between. I even talk on 40 meters every day to PA,OHIO,WV. And RI. with good signals for a Yaesu FT-890 HF Transceiver with 100 Watts. The Tuner in the Radio works well and I am very happy The Other Day I Tuned up on 160 Meters, Where this Antenna not designed for, and made a contact with a station in Ocean City MD, with a S9 with 100 watt radio I think that was a good test for my first contact on that band. Happy DXing.

N3QVB Rating: 5/5 Dec 29, 2012 09:24 Send this review to a friend
An unsolicited review  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've had my 102-footer up at 60 feet for 7 months, as a flat top. During a QSO last night I mentioned I was running barefoot into a G5RV. The fellow said "you're 40 over...pinning my meter...barefoot, yea right". And he sounded snarky too as if I would lie about my power. Why would anyone lie about something like that? Anyway, I told him I don't even own an amp but he wasn't buying it. I guess that's a true testimonial to how this antenna works. Maybe conditions were great but as we know, the antenna does most of the heavy lifting. Anyone considering buying this antenna should do it.