Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Verticals and Wire | WA2NAN True-Talk G5RV Help

Reviews Summary for WA2NAN True-Talk G5RV
WA2NAN True-Talk G5RV Reviews: 196 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $55
Description: An extremely well made G5RV type antenna. Kerry (WA2NAN) builds these antennas with excellent materials and very good attention to detail. The center insulator is a really nice piece of work and all the connections are soldered and have heat shrink tubing on them. I am not affiliated at all with WA2NAN but have one of his antennas and it is great.

Info: kerry@northnet.org

You can write your own review of the WA2NAN True-Talk G5RV.

K5ZVG Rating: 5/5 May 24, 2013 09:59 Send this review to a friend
Second one up in the air  Time owned: more than 12 months
The first True-Talk G5RV is still up about 50' for the last three years. Unfortunately, I didn't account properly for the trees swaying, and it snapped in half. It still worked fine but I wanted to correct the situation. My new 102' G5 is now up about 60' and installed with a pulley. The antenna is great and the receive is better than the older G5. Very satisfied with this product.

KG6STS Rating: 5/5 Apr 8, 2013 18:33 Send this review to a friend
Excellent antenna!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased the 102 version circa September 2009. Its about 25 feet in the air strung between two trees. Because of space constraints, the ladder line slopes at a 45 degree angle towards the house before the coax enters the house. Not the ideal configuration. It has remained in that same location ever since; surviving two hurricanes, a tropical storm and all of the normal weather you would expect on the east coast. This antenna is very well constructed and has never failed me.

How well does it work you ask? Using this antenna and a DX Engineering 43 foot vertical (100 watts or less) I have completed the following DX Awards:

ARRL Five Band DXCC (5BDXCC) #7645 (with endorsements for 12, 17 and 30 meters) March 2013.

ARRL Five Band Worked All States (5BWAS) #3,027 (with endorsements for 12, 17 and 30 Meters) January 2012.

RSGB Islands On The Air 100 (IOTA) Mixed #3291 July 2011

ARRL Triple Play Award (TPA): #362 January 2010

ARRL DX Century Club (DXCC) Mixed: #43,509 Feb 2010

Worked All Continents (WAC) Mixed: April 2010

ARRL Worked All States (WAS) Basic: #53,878 July 2009

Does it perform as well as a beam? No. Its not meant to do so. Are there better antennas out there? Possibly. However, in my opinion, if you want an antenna that performs well on most bands, you can NOT beat it.

I plan to install a HEX Beam this fall but rest assured this antenna will remain in the air providing faithful service.

73 DE KG3BOZ

K9AW Rating: 5/5 Mar 31, 2013 16:58 Send this review to a friend
Best 102' G5RV on Market !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Excellent quality, superb construction. Excellent quality & construction make it perfect for the sea water environment at my J68 second home. Up at 60' and works fantastic on all bands. Great coordination with safe, speedy delivery. Thanks Kerry !!

KD2BRN Rating: 5/5 Jan 27, 2013 11:07 Send this review to a friend
Verry Happy   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
To say I'm very happy with the 102' True-Talk G5RV I Ordered is another satified customer. I like the way it was made. I waited until after a big storm that went through this area. (Long Island,NY) I was only able to get the Apex To about 15' off the ground,and with a S hook on the guide ring of my Telescopic mast pipe that's in the middle of a Cherry Tree. I have one leg NE to a tree where I screw in a open hook and a piece of 1/8" rope to the wire end with a D ring to pop on the hook at about 8'. I did the same on a leg to the SE where a shed has a hook and Eye at 8' and hooked a 1/8" rope and I must say I have had many contacts from Main to South Carolina, and many states in between. I even talk on 40 meters every day to PA,OHIO,WV. And RI. with good signals for a Yaesu FT-890 HF Transceiver with 100 Watts. The Tuner in the Radio works well and I am very happy The Other Day I Tuned up on 160 Meters, Where this Antenna not designed for, and made a contact with a station in Ocean City MD, with a S9 with 100 watt radio I think that was a good test for my first contact on that band. Happy DXing.

N3QVB Rating: 5/5 Dec 29, 2012 09:24 Send this review to a friend
An unsolicited review  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've had my 102-footer up at 60 feet for 7 months, as a flat top. During a QSO last night I mentioned I was running barefoot into a G5RV. The fellow said "you're 40 over...pinning my meter...barefoot, yea right". And he sounded snarky too as if I would lie about my power. Why would anyone lie about something like that? Anyway, I told him I don't even own an amp but he wasn't buying it. I guess that's a true testimonial to how this antenna works. Maybe conditions were great but as we know, the antenna does most of the heavy lifting. Anyone considering buying this antenna should do it.

W7JRG Rating: 5/5 Dec 29, 2012 04:22 Send this review to a friend
2 Years & still performing  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased this antenna about 2 years ago, as a possible answer to my HOA Antenna and 20' Height Restrictions Problems. I read all the positive feedback on eHam and decided that I would take a chance and if it worked then great, if not it was not an expensive loss.
Well I'm writing today to tell you that this antenna has deninately exceeded all my expectations. It is only 20' in the air and I have made contacts more than 1/2 way around the globe. If I can hear them I can usually contact them, for the DX Stations I turn on my 600 watt amplifier, which works great with this antenna. If I had to put up another antenna in a restricted area this would be my choice! Thanks for making a product that not only works great, but is made from quality materials. I know this sounds like a paid advertisement but it's not, it's a very satisfied customer!

KI4LFG Rating: 5/5 Oct 11, 2012 00:29 Send this review to a friend
Great  Time owned: more than 12 months
This was my first antenna and still is a great antenna to have. After 2-3 years of UV, the thing is still great. I will be in-installing it as stealth antenna after some painting in my woods. Great product, lasts for years!

N3QVB Rating: 5/5 Aug 15, 2012 12:53 Send this review to a friend
Excellent results and well made  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Three months ago I put up the 102 ft. model at about 70 feet. Always run barefoot and I have no problem working what I can hear. The material is high quality. A fair price and quick delivery.

KC2BOB Rating: 5/5 Feb 7, 2012 17:20 Send this review to a friend
Service above and beyond my expectations!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have used other G5RV's over the years and decided that I wanted to put up another one at my weekend QTH. I planned to work a lot of DX over the Christmas holiday period (2011) and emailed WA2NAN 8 days before Christmas requesting a 102' antenna. His normal turn around is 10 days for construction and testing so he told me via replay that he couldn't promise that the antenna would reach me by Christmas BUT he would do his best.

6 days later the antenna arrived!! I was really surprised by the quality of the construction and even more so at the how well it worked. The antenna has far exceeded my expectations and the lengths he went to to get it into my hands for the holidays was the icing on the cake.

If you want a high quality G5RV that does the job and a seller who actually listens to your needs AND responds accordingly, then look no further.

I highly recommend WA2NAN and his products!

AK4QK Rating: 5/5 Feb 7, 2012 16:38 Send this review to a friend
A Great Antenna!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased my first True-Talk about a year ago and it has been a great performer. It's the 102 ft. version and iit worked great from 10m to 80m. The problem was one day I got the bright idea to try the antenna out on our bedroom TV and to my surprise I have been able to pull in around 20 digital channels. Needless to say, my wife is enjoying the new channels and it gave me an excuse to purchase a new antenna. I have been wanting to work 160m, so I purchased a 204ft True-Talk. I have been very pleased with it and expect it will be my work antenna for many years to come. It tunes well on all bands from 10-160m and I have made a lot of contacts with it. It's a winner!