Reviews Categories | Headphones & Boom-mic Headsets | Heil Pro-Set Plus Help

Reviews Summary for Heil Pro-Set Plus
Heil Pro-Set Plus Reviews: 58 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $190
Description: Dual Mic Element Headset
More info: http://www.heilsound.com/ProsetPlus.htm

You can write your own review of the Heil Pro-Set Plus.

AI4HO Rating: 5/5 Nov 8, 2012 19:49 Send this review to a friend
Use em every day now.  Time owned: more than 12 months
OK, bought this boom headset at Dayton in 2010..wow over 2 years now, had the 6-8 months, some how some way they magically jumped off my desk and were crushed, the left speaker was hanging out, the phase reversal switch had been broken off! How in the hell..needless to say I was not in any way amused or as I like to say NFA Not Freakin (you can use your own substitution here..I'm tryin to be nice) Amused, so..yes I was NFA..and then some. Well they sat around, and sat around, didn't have the heart to just toss them into the recycle bin. So they sat around some more..finally decided to see if I could get them fixed. I was assured by the good folks at Heil that..yes..we can fix them..really..we can. So..I filled out the necessary paperwork, sent them off and about 2 weeks almost to the day I got them back. That was about 3 or 4 months ago, I kinda let em set, would use them when it was really noisy here, still had the Icom adapter, got a Yaesu adapter, cuz now instead of Kenwood,(my TS-480HX went into my 2011 Toyota Tundra double cab). I would use them mostly with my FT-450AT, I recently..like in the last 2 months drastically downsized my operating conditions. All I have now is my 756 ProIII, with the KDG AT-600Pro auto tuner, my Ameritron ALS-600 amp, OH..can't forget my Heil Handi Mic, this is the newest edition of the handi mic, that in a different review. I also have and use my Heil ProSet Plus, every day now for about a month 6 weeks. They are as good as ever, no fatigue, no strain, if need be I can flip the phase reversal and get a whole new ear so to speak,or tone, whatever ya want to call it. The noise cancelling properties are excellent, this is the headset that will be in my shack on on my head for as long as I can keep them in good repair. Don't know what I'm gonna do if these things ever do go belly up..not sure what's out there that are as good as this set is. This is just my take on this fine example of Heil engineering, your mileage may vary.

73 de Mark
AI4HO

ON9CC Rating: 5/5 Mar 30, 2012 12:14 Send this review to a friend
GREAT !!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have been using this headset for 2,5 years now on my Icom PRO's and 7800. Great headset! Good noise cancelling (no David-Clark, but OK) and comfortable also when using for many hours during contests.

One disadvantage: they are not available anymore obviously ! ... and were replaced by the horrible head-hurting Pro-Set Elite :-(

K9SQG Rating: 5/5 Jul 27, 2011 23:16 Send this review to a friend
Always use it.  Time owned: more than 12 months
By far, the most comfortable headset I have ever used. Provides good audio reports on transmit and non-fatiguing listening for extended periods. Adjusted the headband for a little more tension to better fit the dimensions of my head. Works great with either the Heil PTT hand switch or foot switch. Customer service is great. I've owned other Heil headsets but this model is the best.

W9GDH Rating: 5/5 Jan 18, 2011 14:35 Send this review to a friend
Great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Recieved on Friday, 1/14/2010. Got it for running the 7268 Group Net for 2 hours on Saturdays. Recieved great audio reports on Saturday from net check ins. Light and easy to wear. Works great with my Kenwood TS-450. I run about 1 KW and the antennas are real close to the shack. NO RF in the audio.

KI6NIC Rating: 5/5 Sep 20, 2010 13:46 Send this review to a friend
The best !!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I can only echo what others have posted and I agree. If your into contesting and DX, get a set and get an edge.

AI4HO Rating: 5/5 Aug 28, 2010 12:05 Send this review to a friend
Superb headphone/boom mic  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have owned my Heil Pro-Set Plus for 2 weeks shy of 4 months now, I must say that this headset mic is quite possibly the best on the market. I have a Pro-Set 4 that I have had for a number of years now, and while I never had any problems with them, the pro set plus is so much more. My Pro Set is good, it is in need of some repair now I used them until the 1/8" plug got caught in my desk drawer and was crushed and then got ripped off. So, I was now in need of a new headset mic unit. Enter the Pro-Set Plus from Heil Sound. When first I took them out of the box and felt how substantial a set they really were I was impressed, I got them at Dayton this year and had to wait until I got home to Fl to be able to use them....I couldn't wait. Once home and relaxed, and caught up on everything that had to be done when I got home, I was able to devote time and energies to use my PSP. When I bought this headset it came with the Icom adapter, I also wanted to be able to use this unit with both my Pro III, and my Kenwood TS-480HX so I also purchased the Kenwood adapter. All I gotta say is.....WOW, I am SO glad I bought this headset.

My first use was on my TS-480HX, even though this headset/mic combo feels heavy it isn't really. Once on my head it was so quiet, that is what I first noticed. Ya gotta realize here at my house, I have 2 complete stations one in my "shack" in my back room and my Lazy Boy HF station as I call it, in the front room. My household includes my wife, our 23 year old son with Down Syndrome and our 22 year old daughter who is a 60% disabled vet, who is now in college, so with that in mind it could be and quite often is a "noisy" environment. Well with these on it takes the noise "away", and I mean away, my wife can come up to me face to face and if I have my Pro-Set Plus on, I see the lips move, but I don't hear a word....hmmm, maybe I should wear these more than I do hi hi.

Using my TS-480HX first, it was the difference between night and day between my PSP and the Pro-Set. Having had the phase reversal switch on my Pro-Set I was used to and used it quite often during one of a couple of HF nets that I participate in and as a N/C for another, I do like the fact that if after a half hour it gets difficult to copy I flip the switch, it isn't quite as tiring. But the fact that with my Pro-Set Plus I have both the HC-4 nd the HC-5 elements so I can switch to a different element if need be. This headset is similar to my Heil HM-10 dual hand mic that I use(d) on my Pro III, only difference is size.

While wearing this headset, it is very comfortable, I can wear this for hours and there is no fatigue, it fits snug but not tight. I have a pair of headphones I bought a year or so ago, picked them up at the AF base not to far from me, they were a reasonable price were the noise canceling type, so I thought why not? They are light weight, and I figured they would be good for listening. They are tight, uncomfortable, not what I want from a pair of headphones. Now then, with the Pro-Set Plus, I have it all, comfort, noise canceling, phase reversal, what more could you ask for? Wait, OH yea, the boom on this thing swivels 180 degrees....you say you don't like the mic on the right side, or vice versa, well all ya gotta do is swivel the boom around and "viola" you boom mic is now on the other side. Superb workmanship, just like all of my other Heil gear, just super quality, quality customer service. Heil Sound, my choice now and for the future.

73 de Mark
W3LZK

N3TNQ Rating: 5/5 Aug 1, 2010 13:33 Send this review to a friend
Best I've used  Time owned: more than 12 months
Waited a full year before reviewing and I have not changed my mind from the first use. Very comfortable with great audio both ways. The dual microphone elements are great. I seem to break pile ups much better than with the stock microphone. Sometimes, switch the microphone element to the DX mode is all that is needed. The repair service from Heil is the best I've seen. I broke the phase reverse switch during a move and sent it Heil for repair. The repair cost was less than shipping cost and it was repaired and started on its way back the same day they received it. If something happens to this one, I will definitely buy another one.

W0VET Rating: 5/5 May 8, 2010 10:34 Send this review to a friend
Very nice  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had this set for a couple of days. The only other Heil was a traveler and both get nice reports. The in-out option is great as is the element switch. Well done Heil.

W3DRY Rating: 5/5 Apr 29, 2010 17:09 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding  Time owned: more than 12 months
Best money I EVER spent on ham radio equipment.

GM6HGF Rating: 5/5 Mar 23, 2010 16:16 Send this review to a friend
Comfortable and well used  Time owned: more than 12 months
Very comfortable to wear and used virtually all the time nowadays with FT-1000MP and TS-2000 (6m)using footswitches. MD100 & MC60 desk mics more or less redundant. Have had many compliments on audio set up - worth spending some time in the radio menus to get the best audio set up to suit. One of the best investments in my shack.