Reviews Categories | Headphones & Boom-mic Headsets | Heil Pro-Set Plus Help

Reviews Summary for Heil Pro-Set Plus
Heil Pro-Set Plus Reviews: 59 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $190
Description: Dual Mic Element Headset
More info: http://www.heilsound.com/ProsetPlus.htm

You can write your own review of the Heil Pro-Set Plus.

GM6HGF Rating: 5/5 Mar 23, 2010 16:16 Send this review to a friend
Comfortable and well used  Time owned: more than 12 months
Very comfortable to wear and used virtually all the time nowadays with FT-1000MP and TS-2000 (6m)using footswitches. MD100 & MC60 desk mics more or less redundant. Have had many compliments on audio set up - worth spending some time in the radio menus to get the best audio set up to suit. One of the best investments in my shack.

N0AZZ Rating: 5/5 Oct 22, 2009 06:53 Send this review to a friend
A Winner  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have been using mine for 3 years they are a very good head set and my favorite for DX and contests. I uses a desk mike for all my other contacts but ease of hearing and good quality with 2 setting of the mike make the Pro-Set Plus a winner.

W8FLC Rating: 5/5 May 10, 2009 11:21 Send this review to a friend
Comfortable and well made  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Over the years I have used several headsets for various things. When I bought my FT-897D, I read some reviews about what owners were using on their rigs. So I thought I would try out the Pro-Set Plus. I have had nothing but good comments from my local groups. I even had to turn down the mic gain from the default 50 to 40.
This set is by far the most comfortable set of phones I have worn. I have lost approximately 35% hearing in my left ear. The audio sounds tremendous to my ears. I would not hesitate to recommend this headset to any of my friends.

73, W8FLC (Fred)

W1NDY Rating: 5/5 Feb 9, 2009 14:54 Send this review to a friend
Very comfortable!!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Sold my Traveler and went to this unit, mostly because of the twin cartridges, phase reversal switch, and the footswitch. I thought that they would be too heavy, but they completely cover the entire ear, (blocks out the XYL), and with the over the head adjustment I find them extremely comfortable. Retired, I am on the radio for at least four hours a day, either ragchewing or PSK, and they are not tiring. Really like the DX element, and when I switch to it, my contacts tell me there is a noticeable difference. Have had no troubles with the boom, a spare windscreen in the box would have been nice. The phase reversal switch is nice, especially for DX. Footswitch also controls the amp.

The cord is a generous length, enough that you can step on it if you are not careful. I use a TV cable plastic staple on the edge of my bench, prevents me from pulling the rig off the bench.

Like all good mikes, it was not cheap, but I have had absolutely no problems, it has enabled me to grab a couple of tough DX stations, and is in my opinion, a worthwhile investment.

KK5RX Rating: 5/5 Jan 29, 2009 13:45 Send this review to a friend
Comfortable & good performance  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The headphones are very comfortable to wear - even for extended periods of time. The range is easy to listen to.
Am receiving positive reports on the mic -- the switchable cartridges is a definite plus.

VE7IG Rating: 5/5 Jan 9, 2009 23:15 Send this review to a friend
The best!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am now using the second Proset Plus. In the middle of the night when I got up to check for DX, I inadvertently hooked my toes in the cable on the first set and yarded it off the table. Of course, it landed on the toggle switch and broke the handle off it. (I'm extremely carefull with the new one!) The switch is smaller than any small toggle switches I have. That, and the micro sized wire made it impossible for me to repair it. One day I may send it somewhere for repair, but for now its in the cupboard. Heil told me they don't ship from their repair department to Canada which is the reason I finally broke down and bought another one. Breaking the first set was my fault so I won't reduce the rating because of that. I did drop the rating 1 point for the refusal to ship to Canada, but gave an overall rating of 6/5 (because its so exceptional) so the final result was 5/5!

I have had NO problems of rf getting into the headset or microphone, even with when running 1 KW PEP output and I'm on the second floor of my home with a long ground cable. I have 3 adapters for various radios and the headset works well with any of them. They feel comfortable and the phase reverse setting is very good for DX.

I really enjoy being able to switch between the two cartridges with the slide switch right on the boom. I use the headset on Skype when in motels and it sounds very natural with the #5 cartridge and plugs right into the sound card ports on my laptop (or desktop computers at home). For DX, the #4 cartridge cuts right through.

The adapters I have let you use a foot switch on phone. I've been using this combination on island expeditions and at home since 2005 with great success.

The microphone boom is substantial and you can rotate it and bend it to the necessary position. I tried a headset with a less substantial boom and found the boom moving back after being put in position-- not so with the Proset Plus.

I also tried a headset with one earpiece and didn't like it at all. It felt strange and I didn't like the external noise in my other ear.

In my estimation you can't beat this headset and it is by my choice by far for daily operating.

N8QE Rating: 5/5 Sep 3, 2008 14:29 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding Headset and Audio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The Heil Pro-Set Plus when used with my Yaesu FT-2000 delivers the best audio ever. It appears to add about 4 or 5 "S" units of punch to my signal. I am consistantly getting S9 and S9+ signal reports from my DX contacts versus my original equipment MH-31 Yaesu mike. The received signals are clear as a bell too, even when the signals are down near the mud. I love this headset. Best one I ever had in 42 years of Ham Radio operation. I would recommend it to anyone and don't forget to add the Heil Magnum PTT Hand-Switch that makes it even better to use during contests to avoid using vox.

2E0MCA Rating: 5/5 Jun 1, 2008 03:03 Send this review to a friend
Very nice headset  Time owned: more than 12 months
I decided to buy a headset after discussing the audio from my FT-840's Yaesu hand mike with a helpful German amateur, DJ8CL. I opted for the Heil on reputation, reviews and audio quality heard during QSO's.

I have used this headset with the FT-840 and subsequently with the FT-2000.The receive audio is excellent and the exclusion of external noise (young son, xyl, etc) is very good. I consistently receive good audio reports on air. The ability to switch the phase of the phones is very handy - Heil state that it helps with separating weak stations from strong ones. I would add that it can also help to keep fatigue under control during long operating sessions.

The headphones are quite heavy and the snug fit over the ears can be slightly unpleasant in very warm conditions. However, they sit comfortably on the head and don't shift around as you move your head during operations. The rigid boom, once adjusted to sit in front of your mouth is always at the right distance. Note for UK amateurs - this is a nuisance as it interferes with drinking tea;-)

The one negative that I would mention is that the moulding that brings the lead out of the headset is angled such that the lead is pulled down at a rightangle by its weight. The risk is that with flexing over a period of time the lead will break at this point. I have taken measures to relieve the strain. I don't feel that this represents a reason to mark these down from a solid 5/5.

VK2FTNY Rating: 5/5 Apr 11, 2008 09:37 Send this review to a friend
Great build quality  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have owned these headphones for around 12-13 months and in this time have found these to be an indespensable tool for working dx and or contest.As far as headphones go these are the best i have used.Very comfortable during long hours of use,Not very heavy or bulky as initial size sugests.Audio out of the earpieces is great for hifi essb audio and or cutting thru the dx pile with the phase switch engaged.The mic elements are typical Heil in that they are very clean and clear producing very penetrative audio which is great for dx.Mic boom is totally reversable for left/right operation and includes a pop filter sock for mike end.Also included is a set of covers for the ear muffs although i prefer to use mine without.All in all i have paid more for a hifi set of headphones from an electronics retailer than i did for these.The dual mic elements on the boom is just a bonus.

VR2AAW Rating: 5/5 Feb 25, 2008 11:11 Send this review to a friend
Smart Tone  Time owned: more than 12 months
I using PSPIC one years.Is very good tone & have bass headsets,I receive 57 rst about ,The HAM sound same broadcast station.After i tell my ham friend ,And then ham friend need order pspic,Now
in shenzhen china have 5 pspic is me help my ham
friend order,sometime BY ham call me help for the
order,They also said good job!!!!!!!!!