Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Other than logging | WinWarbler Help

Reviews Summary for WinWarbler
Reviews: 15 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $free
Description: Supports PSK31 (up to 3 QSOs simultaneously) via soundcard and RTTY via soundcard and external modem.
More info: http://www.dxlabsuite.com

You can write your own review of the WinWarbler.

WB2NVR Rating: 5/5 Mar 20, 2013 16:06 Send this review to a friend
Ham Radio Enhancement  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been using the entire DXLabs suite of programs since 2003. I find that all of the modules significantly enhance my enjoyment of ham radio.

We all know how important it is for software to be intuitive, and to work properly. DXLabs does that. When something isn't right, nothing is more important than quick, hassle free tech support and problem resolution. In my opinion, you won't find anyone providing better support than the program author, Dave AA6YQ, who is an active participant of the DXLabs reflector. Questions are answered (just about in real time) with respect and with information/links on how to solve a problem. It doesn't mater how often a question is asked, Dave (and other members of the group) always provide useful information. Requests for enhancements are considered and discussed with the group, and added to the Enhancement List if deemed worth the effort.

There is a lot to learn with the Suite. If you take one module at a time, and post your questions, in short order you'll be up and running.

You won't find a nicer group of hams than the ones on the DXLabs reflector.

W3ZJ Rating: 5/5 Mar 18, 2013 09:49 Send this review to a friend
WinWarbler allows you conduct QSOs in CW, Phone, PSK and RTTY   Time owned: more than 12 months
WinWarbler allows you conduct QSOs in the CW, Phone, PSK31, PSK63, PSK125 and RTTY operating modes. It is one of 8 applications that make up the DXLab suite.

See:

It can simultaneously monitor and decode up to 47 PSK transmissions across the band, extracting callsigns and capturing text for rapid acquisition and QSO initiation, provide three independent means of decoding RTTY signals, send CW via serial port modem control signal, parallel port data signal, an external WinKey keyer or an external modem, such as a Kantronics KAM or Timewave PK232. It also includes a digital voice keyer to speak pre-recorded sound clips on voice modes.

It seamlessly interoperates with the other members of the DXLab suite as follows:

•Commander for transceiver control
•DXView for callsign lookup and plotting
•DXKeeper for logging and QSL generation
•Pathfinder for QSL route discovery
•SpotCollector for DX spot generation and PSK stations heard filtering

Best of all it is fully supported by its author Dave Bernstein, AA6YQ who received The ARRL Technical Innovation Award in 2008 for authoring and publishing the DXLab suite. Dave is active on the DXLab reflector

daily and provides unparalleled support for these totally free ham applications.

G0VAX Rating: 5/5 Mar 18, 2013 02:19 Send this review to a friend
Nothing short of FANTASTIC!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using Winwarbler as part of the DxLabsuite for some years now, and I find it the best system for my logging,datamodes etc activities.
Support from the software writer is second to none, any queries are dealt with in a timely and positive manner.
I can't fault this program.

WA6KEK Rating: 5/5 Mar 17, 2013 18:07 Send this review to a friend
The best digital program.  Time owned: more than 12 months
My Elmer first told me of the DXLab suite while I was a new ham using one of the more popular free logging/digital programs. I really liked that program but as I gained more experience, I realized why DXLab was his main logging program; it simply does a better job. WinWarbler works seamlessly as I switch between RTTY, CW and PSK. The rig and my SteppIR controller follow right along with mode and band changes from within Winwarbler. If I make a mode or band change from the rig, WinWarbler follows the rig. The configuration menus are intuitive and packed with options. The features are too numerous to list here!
Even if there was a better everyday digital program out there, I would stick with WinWarbler just for the support alone. I cannot get better support for things I pay for! Dave, AA6YQ, is a hands on programmer that listens to his users!

KX4JR Rating: 5/5 Mar 17, 2013 18:04 Send this review to a friend
A life of it's own!!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Even for an older user (agewise) it's a great application. Expecially, regarding the amazing support from it's author AA6YQ, but from it's many, many users...all of various degrees of expertise.
I started in digital work in the 60's with RTTY...
and used many applications...This is the BEST!

VE1DX Rating: 5/5 Mar 17, 2013 15:00 Send this review to a friend
Simply the best  Time owned: more than 12 months
WinWarbler is one of the 7 components of DX Labs. I’ve been using this software for about 5 years, and I rate every component 5 out of 5.

To specifically address WinWarbler, it is the digital mode program of the suite. It handles all of the common digital modes (CW, RTTY, all the common PSK variations) extremely well. Like all the other DX Labs programs, it will run stand alone or integrate with the other components. It does everything advertised on its web site:

I can’t imagine better assistance from the author and the literally 1000s of experienced users on the related Yahoo user’s support group. Ask a question and you’ll have an answer that will get you up and running in a few hours or less. I should add that this program and all of the other DX Labs components (plus the near 24/7 support by the author AA6YQ) is completely free. Why look further for a digital modes program? WinWarbler is the best.

K9PY Rating: 5/5 Mar 17, 2013 14:45 Send this review to a friend
excellent program  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use DXLab Suite which is an excellent everything but the kitchen sink program. As part of this suite is WinWarbler for RTTY and PSK. It integrates great with the rest of the suite and very easy to use. The only possible improvement would be to be able to decode cw (it already can transmit cw) for the guys who want/need that ability. Support is top notch. Price is excellent- free! I've turned a lot of hams on to this program in our club and none have gone back to anything else.

K2EYS Rating: 5/5 Mar 17, 2013 14:26 Send this review to a friend
Top Notch  Time owned: more than 12 months
I can not think of a bad thing to say about WinWarbler or any of the dxlab programs. The support is great and the programs work together. It is very easy to update. I will stick with it look forward using it for ever

KB0FHP Rating: 5/5 Mar 17, 2013 14:11 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
WinWarbler, as well as all the other "suites" associated with WinWarbler work extremely well. Not only is it free, easy to use, easy to install (I use XP) it works very well and is well integrated with other DXLabs software. The support is tremendous between the developer and user group.

I don't think the developer ever sleeps, as he usually responds within minutes of a question.

Excellent software and I have recommended it to many of my friends.

KB2EOQ Rating: 5/5 Mar 17, 2013 13:51 Send this review to a friend
Perfect for RTTY and PSK, easy install.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Just an update to my review from several years ago, and a response to the gentleman that mentioned the steps it takes to download Winwarbler.

Downloading this application, and others in the DX Lab Suite , is EASY when you use the DX Lab Launcher. The launcher is perhaps one if the best methods of keeping current you can find in amateur radio software. It saves a lot of time.

I am familiar with DM780, Multipsk, Fldigi, MixW, Airlink Express, and all other digital mode applications. In fact, I have beta tested these applications for the various authors over the years. I can assure you that Winwarbler for RTTY and PSK31 is an outstanding application and as sophisticated in its methods as the other applications. Some of the multi stream decoding in Winwarbler is much better than other applications. Since Winwarbler is part of the DX Lab Suite, you can seamlessly interface it all with Multipsk or use the DXLAB to FLdigi bridge.
Andy K3UK (ex KB2EOQ)