Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Ameritron AL-811 Help

Reviews Summary for Ameritron AL-811
Ameritron AL-811 Reviews: 155 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $650
Description: Uses three tough 811A transmitting tubes
More info: http://www.ameritron.com/products.php?prodid=AL-811

You can write your own review of the Ameritron AL-811.

M0HDX Rating: 5/5 Nov 17, 2006 14:23 Send this review to a friend
nice little amp  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The ameritron al811 3 tube version is a great medium powered amplifier,tuning is so simple and quick the al811 will run the 400watt uk legal limit all day long and stay cool.The 811 tubes are very cheap and i just brought 3 brand new ones at 12.00 each (chinese brand) for spares.Before i owned a amp supply lk450 running a 3-500z and that was a nice desktop amplifier but i am equally as pleased with my ameritron amp paired up with my 5 band lightning bolt quad its a great combo.

jim M0HDX

W5RKL Rating: 5/5 Oct 13, 2006 11:44 Send this review to a friend
Excellent medium power amplifier  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
After doing alot of research, including eHam.net, I settled on the Ameritron AL-811 three bottle amplifier. The AL-811 operates exactly as advertised.

The AL-811 is light weight, runs on regular 120VAC outlet power therefore eliminating the need to run a seperate 220VAC power source to the shack. Couple the AL-811 with a good, properly resonated and tuned antenna system and you will be heard.

I have not nor do I intend on swapping the 811s for 572B. That's a waste of money just for a few extra watts. If that's your plan, I strongly recommend you put the cost of the 572Bs toward the AL-811H or one of the more higher power Ameritron amplifiers instead.

73's

Mike
W5RKL

VE3JOH Rating: 5/5 Jun 30, 2006 08:53 Send this review to a friend
Can't beat the value!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I looked around before buying. I wanted something used, simple to work with and without $500 tubes! After reading the various reviews I purchasd a used AL-811. It's in super shape and after an hour or so of looking around inside and tightening any suspect connections it has served me well. Simple to load. And forgiving too! I have a set of 6 811A's sitting on the shelf so if a tube goes soft it will be a cheap repair! All said and done you can't beat the value if you can get one used and not abused. Thanks Ameritron.

W5RKL Rating: 5/5 Jun 29, 2006 15:27 Send this review to a friend
Great amplifier  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently purchased a brand new AL-811 amplifier. For years I only operated barefoot but with band conditions the way they are I simply had to have a bit more power to be heard. I have, however, used amps before but not on a regular basis.

I took a long time to decide which amp to buy. One thing I did not want was a seperate 220 volt line in the ham shack since the shack's in a bedroom. Second, I wanted an amp that I could run on normal 120 volt house wiring. After researching as many amplifiers as I could find I settled on the Ameritron AL-811 and I'm glad I did.

My station is mostly vintage Heathkit SB series twins and the amplifier had to fit in with the station. The AL-811 slid right in next to the SB-400. Although it's slightly higher, about 3 inches on the rear, it's size is a perfect fit.

I had heard a lot about amplifiers being shipped via UPS. Tube were broken, chassis's were bent and the amplifier arrived completely distroyed. This did not happen with the Ameritron AL-811. The box appeared as though it was just taken off the Ameritron shelf, not even a slight dent. The amp was double boxed with plenty of support inside the inner box to protect the amp in transit. The tube were in their sockets, not broken and properly wrapped with several pieces of padding. After unpacking, inserting the fuses and removing the tube packaging material, setup was a matter of minutes.

Tuning was straight forward and easy. Since I run mostly CW, I have not tried the amplifier on sideband. However, the amplifier has performed flawlessly on CW.

For performance and price, you can't beat the AL-811. It's not a big guns amp but if all you want is to increase your output power between 400 to 500 watts, I highly recommend the Ameritron AL-811.

73's,

Mike
W5RKL

KE5GFJ Rating: 5/5 Jun 27, 2006 09:20 Send this review to a friend
Great amp that won't break the bank.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought an 811A from the estate of a silent key. It is used mainly in 20 and 15 meters SSB.
Using the amp makes a huge difference when trying to break through pile-ups and getting through to distant stations. From Texas to Australia they couldn't tell the difference between our 500 watts and a friend's 1500+ watts. My advice is that you first spend your time, effort, and money on a good antenna and getting it tuned for minimum SWR, etc, BEFORE you spend your money for an amp. Then, the amp will really make a difference. The 811 is a great little amp that won't break the bank. Who needs more? Only your ego knows for sure.

W3DBB Rating: 3/5 May 6, 2006 04:29 Send this review to a friend
The Ameritron AL-811 and Amplitude Modulation  Time owned: more than 12 months
My AL-811 is the version with three 811-A tubes, biased AB2 according to Ameritron. I purchased the amplifier new in 2002. I actually use this thing on 75-40-20-15 meter a.m. I seldom use the AL-811 on s.s.b. and not having the QSK add-on, run the transceiver alone on CW.

I drive the AL-811 with a Yaesu FT-920 in the a.m. mode. The driving power on a.m. is very small, depending on the band anywhere from 3 to 10 Watts average. I never exceed 75 Watts average power output on a.m. Theoretically this amp could make 100 Watts average on a.m. but 811-A tubes aren't as good as they were when they were American made. That said, I haven't had any difficulty with the original tubes shipped with my AL-811. At 75 Watts output, which depending on the band is anywhere from 400 to 560 average Watts of input power, those tubes are so warm you'll think they are about to jump out of the sockets. The parasitic suppressors for the 811-A's are mounted on a p.c. board which is screwed to the end of the vertically mounted (filament?) choke. This places the parasitic suppressor board physically above the tubes and subject to radiant heating. Make sure the board hasn't rotated slightly as to come too close to one of the 811-A tubes, as this will tend to cook one of the corners of the parasitic suppressor board. Ameritron didn't design this amplifier for a.m., which is O.K., limited market there.

On a.m. and depending on the band in use, my AL-811 draws anywhere from 250 to 350 mA plate current. The grid current runs around 40 mA. The high voltage supply sags to about 1.6 kV under load, but I could improve that by re-arranging the taps on the amp's transformer primary to run the amplifier on 240 V.a.c.

As an afficionado of a.m. I've been doing some thinking lately and am considering doing the full course of Rich Measures (AG6K) updates to my Heathkit SB-220 and driving it with the Yaesu FT-920.

There really is no comparison possible between these amplifiers. The SB-220 is a well-designed amplifier from another era but can be updated to interface seamlessly with the newer transceivers.

The AL-811 has survived surprisingly well on a.m. but wasn't designed for that; feels as if I am really cracking the whip over the poor thing. A larger amp like the SB-220 will make 200 Watts average power without a lot of fuss.

Doug Burlew
KA3TGV

OE2 Rating: 5/5 May 6, 2006 01:08 Send this review to a friend
Great and not expensive  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I am very happy with my Amplifier AL-811XCE.
Solid output power and enough for making contact
in the pile up.I have modifikation my Amplifier with 3x572B tubes.Tubes are also not expensive. It's working fantastic with my ICOM IC-7400 and studio-equipment.The ouput power is always 700W-750W with only 60W driving
power. Plate Current is between 500-570mA and Grid Current is between 120-150mA with this output power. Also easy to tune.And the different between a 1KW Amplifier and 700W-750W ist very small. So all in all I love my small AL-811XCE , go to the dealer and buy one !!
73's Andy

KC4CP Rating: 5/5 Apr 20, 2006 08:02 Send this review to a friend
A WINNER  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
OVER THE YEARS, I HAVE BOUGHT AND SOLD 4 OF THESE AMPS ... & I KEEP COMING BACK. IT GIVES ME THE POWER I NEED WITHOUT CAUSING INTERFERENCE. PRESENTLY, I DRIVE IT WITH ICOM 7000, USING SM-6 MIC. THE AMP LOVES THIS SETUP! IT PUTS OUT A SOLID 600 WATTS ALL DAY LONG.

W6GF Rating: 5/5 Mar 23, 2006 18:48 Send this review to a friend
Great value  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just needed another amp....right. This one was going with me in my motorhome. I did not want to buy a solid state amp and run it on batteries....I use the set-up mainly parked, where I hook-ups or the generator. It puts out a solid 600 watts without any fuss. It is easy to tune and, if you make a "big mistake", the tubes are inexpensive. If this is your first amp, your only amp, or you want a standby amp it is a great deal.

K1FPV Rating: 5/5 Mar 12, 2006 15:10 Send this review to a friend
Best Bang for the Buck!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought mine used on eBay, and am very happy with its performance. I replaced the 811A's with 572B's and regularly run the amp at around 750 watts out. The tubes still run cool as a cucumber and don't mind as long as the grid current never exceeds 150 ma. which is the maximum grid current rating for a set of 3 572B's. I have mine wired on 230 volts of AC to get better power supply regulation. The amp is very stable and a teriffic buy for the money.