Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Logging | DXKeeper Help

Reviews Summary for DXKeeper
DXKeeper Reviews: 14 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $free
Description: Full 32-bit logging with QSL card/label generation, ADIF import/export, and interoperation with Commander, DXView, Pathfinder, SpotCollector, and WinWarbler.
More info: http://www.dxlabsuite.com

You can write your own review of the DXKeeper.

WH7DX Rating: 5/5 Apr 27, 2013 13:20 Send this review to a friend
Solid logging program  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
DXKeeper does a good job as a general logger. If you're serious about tracking QSOs and awards or making contacts a breeze, this will do it. It's a complete package. I didn't have a problem with basics, I did need help with filters and some other items but the support was stellar.. same day help.

The whole suite of programs is free and I enjoy updating all my data with outside services. Very complete. It's also quick and not a bogged down window program.

I just started RTTY and Winwarbler is all I need. Very complete and integrated.

Start with the basics and go from there. I'd give it a 4 because of learning curve with some items that could be easier to understand, but the depth, service and price deserve 5.

Bryan
Wh7dx

NK3V Rating: 2/5 Dec 12, 2012 13:28 Send this review to a friend
Not for Me  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I tried to understand this program - I really did. It's sad when things are too complicated for me - a sign of failing mental faculties I guess.

Anyway I'm sure it is a wonderful program but the 'learning curve' shuts (many?) out. Did mange to import my QSO file but couldn't figure out how to manipulate from there. Oh and the thing keeps asking for a OBCD data source or some such nonsense?????????

W6QT Rating: 5/5 Oct 8, 2012 20:45 Send this review to a friend
Quick and Easy  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'd have to agree with the reviewer below me, that it is loaded with features that may not be needed by many users. The programming looks a lot like Access which I am familiar with. Whomever put this together did an excellent job, but perhaps there is too much "going on" that many folks wouldn't necessarily use. I like the fact that QSOs can be automatically uploaded to Club Log. It is worth keeping and free.

K1QN Rating: 2/5 Feb 29, 2012 08:27 Send this review to a friend
Complications without features  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Overwrought, overcomplicated software. I think it's intended for people who like to play with overwrought, overcomplicated software. It gives them a feeling of mastery. Anyway, I found it impossible to remove duplicate qso's. Documentation was terrible. Often called "buttons" "tabs". There's a difference.

Help is via static web page, with only text search.

Installs directly at the root level on your drive, not under Program Files. Data stored deep into the executable file structure. It should, by default, be stored somewhere under My Documents.

If you want to fool with software, this is for you.

KD8HFM Rating: 5/5 Oct 31, 2011 19:03 Send this review to a friend
Great way to play radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I down loaded the program last spring and have been playing around with it off and on. Then along comes the DX contest at the end of October. Time to get serious and set things up. It took a little time to read and set up, which was about 2 hours. This included getting LOTW and eQSL set up to work with it. Only glitch was getting Pathfinder to work with QRZ, but a little help from yahoo groups and we were cruising along. This a great logging program for the money, F-R-E-E. Why go else where, this program more than meets my needs and then some.

OZ1BXM Rating: 5/5 May 22, 2011 01:16 Send this review to a friend
Serves any logging needs  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The DX Keeper logging application has recently become my permanent station log. Some years ago I paid for another program (AAlog), but its support of LotW and eQSL was not satisfying, and it interoperated with only a few applications.

This review is mainly to state, that DX Keeper is still alive and being updated at regular intervals. This is an indication of quality.

When I run JT65-HF and press "Log QSO", the QSO data is written into DX Keeper. I like that feature. The same procedure can be used in WinWarbler.

There is a suite of other programs in the same family. They all interoperate, which is a great advantage.

Go for DX Keeper if you want the ultimate logging software. It is highly recommended!

OZ1BXM Lars Petersen, Denmark

N5WE Rating: 5/5 Aug 11, 2006 19:37 Send this review to a friend
Extremely powerful and intuitive logging program.  Time owned: more than 12 months
As mentioned previously, DXKeeper is just that, its a keeper!

DXKeeper is the logging portion of AA6YQ's DXLab Suite. It is the program that stores all of your contacts and all of the information gathered from the other portions of the Suite.

First thing to notice is that DXKeeper doesnt attempt to be everything in one program. Its just the logger, leaving all other functions such as rig control, callsign information retrieval, and cluster information to the other applications in the suite. Integration with these other programs is automagic and seamless.

Additionally, DXKeeper takes care of QSL'ing functions as well. It will print out Labels, Envelopes, QSL cards or submit LOTW q's for signing and uploading. It will track what you've qsl'ed via cards and LOTW, it will assemble DXCC, WAS, and numerous other awards for submission in the correct order. DXCC submission is as easy as pressing a few buttons, printing out the application and pulling the cards out of the box.

Adding of QSO's to the log can be done on a one by one basis, or in a contest mode. Additionally, it supports ADIF imports from other programs. I currently import all of my logs from Writelog following each contest. With over 23,000 qso's in the log, its running memory footprint on my machine is only about 38megs. Hardly a resource hog.

This program is as simple to use as any of the other logging programs I've tested. However, its also by far one of the most powerful. It will do just about everything you can imagine with your log, and will continually introduce to the user new features you didnt previously know existed.

In combination with the other DXLab Suite applications, it does just about everything but make the contact for you. Support is second to none with fixes and reasonable enhancements added or corrected within HOURS. Documentation is excellent, but with the button hints, one very rarely has to review the docs for anything but the most intricate operations.

I'd stack it against any of the other logging programs out there, and it'll win everytime, if for nothing other then the fact that its absolutely free.

KC9GGV Rating: 5/5 Jul 16, 2006 09:27 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Program  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been using DX Keeper for a couple of weeks. So far what I have seen this is a very capable program. I upload the logs (Cabrillo) that I generate in my contest logging program (N1MM another great FREE program). I also us VQ Log 3.0B which I have been running for 18 months. I like the contest information field that are in DX Keeper. This program is a "Keeper". I am very impressed with it so far. Oh, almost forgot I like the way you can upload and sync your contact with the ARRL Logbook of the World. Really nice feature. (Syncs with eQSL also).

KD8BIZ Rating: 5/5 Oct 27, 2005 09:44 Send this review to a friend
Superb General Logger  Time owned: months
I'm a new Ham, and it has taken me a while to figure out all this stuff. For others like me, you need 2 logging programs - a Contest Logger (optimized to allow quick contacts, check for dupes, knows the specifics of the exchange for each contest, etc) - and for that I recommend WriteLog.

You also need a General Log Program - this tracks awards (progress in DXCC, Worked-All-States, etc) and also tracks QSLs (LOTw, cards received/requested/needed, etc). All of your contest logs will be imported into the General Logger which is almost more of a database application than a speed machine. For this I tried several programs, and settled on DXKeeper. The others either had a cumbersome interface, didn't fully track QSL cards, LOTW and eQSL independently, or didn't have batch modes to process hundreds of QSO's with a simple button press. I also really like the SQL interface that let's me make my own queries. If you like Excel and/or Access, you'll like DXKeeper.

Great logger, and it's FREE!

Dennis

N5GLR Rating: 4/5 Jun 17, 2004 14:20 Send this review to a friend
Great Program  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've used DXkeeper and some of the companion programs for over a year and they are great programs. My only complaint is the amount of system resources that DXKeeper uses when it's running. When I have DXKeeper running along with my browser and email program, I don't have enough resources to even open a small mail message. I'm running 512 mb memory on a 1.4 gig machine. Other than that, I think it's a wonderful program with lots of features. One of the latest versions incorporated a "tab deliminted" file download to make it easier to import into Excel. It's a GREAT program. Thanks to the author.

There's one more feature I wish it had ... two fields to track FISTS club numbers. One for the member number and one for the Century number.

Garry