Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Alpha Delta DX-A Help

Reviews Summary for Alpha Delta DX-A
Alpha Delta DX-A Reviews: 27 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $59.95
Description: 160-80-40 Meter 1/4-wave Twin Sloper - A top low frequency DX antenna. Combines the tremendous DX
firepower of the 1/4-wave sloper with the wide bandwidth of the 1/2-wave dipole. One leg is 67 ft., the other 55 ft.
Installs like an Inverted-V with ground return accomplished thru tower or down-lead
More info: http://www.alphadeltacom.com/dxa_ii.htm

You can write your own review of the Alpha Delta DX-A.

W7NKR Rating: 5/5 Feb 8, 2016 12:48 Send this review to a friend
VEry Good Product  Time owned: more than 12 months
Little follow up with some comparisons. I compared the AD SLoper as example on 40 meters with an OCF, and all band inverted Vee. In each case, stateside and/or DX, the sloper heard a noticable few S-Units more then the OCF and Inverted Vee few with 450 Ohm ladder line thru a balun box to the shack.

The OCF provides low SWR on the bottom of 75 and upper end of 40. The Inverted Vee required a tuner on both bands.

Sloper is reasonably low on 160 and portions of 75 and most of 40 meters.

So, all in all, keeping the Slopers up and likely won't use any additional wire for 40, 80 or 160. Not worth the hassle of end supports.

VE7NZ Rating: 3/5 Nov 16, 2014 18:56 Send this review to a friend
Works best on 17 Meters - Go figure!  Time owned: more than 12 months
OK, so I couldn't install the antenna as specified and I will not suggest anything bad about the antenna as without the proper installation it would be an unfair review. I put the centre up my tower at around 35 feet. The offset angle is too tight and the line with the trap does a 90 degree turn at one place and runs horizontal after that (!).

Three observations: 1. Antenna worked much better after i installed a dedicated ground wire to the base of the tower where i have a ground rod for my tower ground. This was much better than just clamping against the tower; 2. Made contacts on 160/80/40 ...40m performance was not quite as good as my Cushcraft A3S add-on kit (shortened dipole) but see note above- unfair comparison.

3. What amazes me is it matches well on 18MHz and I am on my way to earning DXCC on that band! It must be my whacky install layout but the thing is amazing. I am used to a 3 el yagi on 10/15/20 and this thing is working with great performance on 17 meters. Crazy!

73.

W5RHR Rating: 3/5 Apr 3, 2012 11:27 Send this review to a friend
little disappointed  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I echo the comment about the coax bracket being a little less substantial, it has already bent on me.

Let me preface my review by stating I do NOT have a fixed tower to mount the antenna on. I have a metal 30' pole with a ground wire running from the coax plate to a ground and counterpoise.I can resonate on 160 meters
I cannot seem to find resonance on 40, and even with a tuner have RF on 40 setting off my burglar alarm. I have no rf issues with other wire antennas.
On 80 I can find resonance but the VSWR at resonance is about 2:1.
I have tried various angles and mounting configurations, and directions, and I cannot get this antenna to perform any better than my delta loop.
I know this antenna must work from reading other positive reviews, just not for me.

K4TM Rating: 1/5 Feb 25, 2012 06:53 Send this review to a friend
Poor  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the DX-A after reading good reviews here. My experience was anything but! I mounted the antenna at 37' on my 40' tower, added several ground rods to insure the tower was grounded and added a ground line from the antenna mount to the ground rods. I had a terrible time tuning the antenna on 80 and 160, even emailed Alpha Delta for tech support and got a prompt reply: add 3-30' ground radials. I did that, it didn't have any appreciable effect. Emailed the result and Alpha Delta contact said he'd check with engineering and I never heard back. I have taken the DX-A down and reworked it to a 80-40 meter inverted-V fed with a W2DU balun (I'll forego 160, of course). So, al least I salvaged the wire so the DX-A is not a total loss. Don't waste your money!
73, Cary, K4TM

W3AMF Rating: 4/5 Nov 23, 2010 15:11 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna for the money and space required.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have one at my home station mounted at 35' on a grounded tower and another at my vacation station mounted on a grounded mast at 20'. Both look like inverted vees, and the ends are about 8' above ground. It is possible to use them on some bands without a tuner, but I always use a tuner. They work well on 160-80-40-30-17-12 meters and produce lots of DX. The one on the tower performs better than the one on the mast. Both have been up for about five years in lots of rough weather. I recommend it if space and money matter to you.

KF4DSS Rating: 4/5 Jan 13, 2010 12:06 Send this review to a friend
IT WORKS  Time owned: more than 12 months
THIS Antennas WORKS AND WORKS WELL BUT YOU MAY HAVE TO TRIM IT TO YOUR BAND BUT ITS. A GOOD Antennas FOR SMALL LOTS

CT1HZU Rating: 5/5 Mar 2, 2009 07:42 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding !!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Installed this antenna primarily because I didnít have 160 and 80 bands and also because I have very limited space available. I live on a 10 floor story building and even for this antenna I had to install it in a non-conventional way. I received the antenna on the last weekend of K5D operation and a good test specially on 160 was to contact the team. I could do it on CW with very noticeable signals. I also could do some SWL on the CQ WW 160M contest, and again could ear some US stations getting through the huge QRN.
About the installation, the metal plate of where the coaxial is being attached is @ 7meter high (23 feet) above the top of the building. The 160M leg of this antenna has 60 feet or 18 meter. The 80M leg can be totally slopped, however the 160M/40M leg had to be folded, since I had no available space for it, so about 3 meter (10 feet) had to be folded sideways. I had on both legs to decrease itís lengths, due in fact to the proximity of ďgroundĒ (top of the building), but after done that I had an SWR of 1:3:1 on 160CW and about 1:9:1 on 160SSB. On 80M I had initially a good match on 80CW, in fact a little to good, so I had to bring the resonance a bit up, so that I could get a reasonable behaviour on 80SSB. On 40M I did notice I had a good performance on all band, but really didnít give to much attention to it, since I have a 3 element yagi on this band.
Bottom line is, Iím delighted with this antenna and will recommend it to anyone having very limited available space.
73ís de
Pedro-CT1HZU

NZ0T Rating: 5/5 Dec 2, 2008 15:46 Send this review to a friend
15 months later...  Time owned: more than 12 months
After 15 months of use I wanted to update my review of the DX-A. I am very happy with this antenna. It works very well for me on all three bands and 80M SWR, which had been 1.7-1 at best has now come down to about 1.2-1 at resonance after I removed my G5RV and the ladder line that ran along (spaced out 6 inches) the tower leg. Does it work as well as a full size dipole? Probably not but if you have a small lot like I do and a tower with some sort of beam to serve as "top loading" and want to get on 160M then this antenna is for you. If those conditions are met, as Alpha-Delta says in their literature/manual, then the antenna will work well. Be aware that some "fiddling" may be needed and that other antennas/feedline like my G5RV may affect the sloper. I did replace the G5RV with a coax fed 60M inverted vee that does not affect the sloper.

K2DC Rating: 5/5 Nov 14, 2008 10:15 Send this review to a friend
Absolutely Love It!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
In 30 years, I had never had a workable antenna for 160M. So I took down my homebrew 40/80M inverted vee pair and replaced it with the DX-A, hanging from the tower at 58' with a down lead grounded at the base of the tower.

For DX, I see absolutely no difference between the DX-A and the inverted vees it replaced, and I have DXCC on both bands. On 160M I have 58 worked and 19 confirmed in only two months.

I realize that DX worked is not an entirely objective measure of the performance of the antenna, without comparative or measured data (I'm an Antenna Engineer by trade). But I'm having a ball.

73 All,

Don, K2DC

N9AZZ Rating: 5/5 Oct 27, 2008 23:02 Send this review to a friend
Great small lot antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used this antenna for a number of years now. I have had good results with it on all of it's advertised bands. I have worked Africa and Europe on 160 and many other countries on 75 and 40. I have mine mounted at 35 feet under a three element beam and other VHF/UHF antennas. I need a tuner on 75, mine never got much below 2.1, but with the tuner I have I can operate across the entire band. (Palstar AT1500DT). I get about 50 kcs on 160, and about 200 kc on 40, with the tuner I can cover the entire bands on each. I can also use this antenna on 12,17 and 30 meters also with a tuner with good results, mostly better than my butternut vertical. Recently I was also able to tune it on 60 meters, but the jury is still out on that bands performance. The 160/40 meter leg has been bent to fit my city lot. I also had the legs as close as 90+ degrees, but now have them more like 180 in a true Vee fashion. I also use the antenna for domestic contacts, and have very good signals reported. Overall a very good antenna for the money for someone who doesn't have a lot of room for wires.

Flip