Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Verticals and Wire | Alpha Delta DX-A Help

Reviews Summary for Alpha Delta DX-A
Alpha Delta DX-A Reviews: 26 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $59.95
Description: 160-80-40 Meter 1/4-wave Twin Sloper - A top low frequency DX antenna. Combines the tremendous DX
firepower of the 1/4-wave sloper with the wide bandwidth of the 1/2-wave dipole. One leg is 67 ft., the other 55 ft.
Installs like an Inverted-V with ground return accomplished thru tower or down-lead
More info: http://www.alphadeltacom.com/dxa_ii.htm

You can write your own review of the Alpha Delta DX-A.

K6YE Rating: 5/5 Feb 25, 2008 20:11 Send this review to a friend
AWESOME  Time owned: more than 12 months
My expectations from simple wire antennas are mixed. I purchased the DX-A at a Hamfest primarily for 160 and 80 meters (I have 2 elements on the Force-12 C4XLD for 40). It was NIB for $30 (somebody was thinning the herd). After installing my find, I was able to work my buddies in California without too much trouble.

The VP6DX expedition peeked my interest. I worked them easily on CW. I must say that I do use a Heathkit SA-2060A tuner to get the most out of my IC-775DSP or FT-1000D on the entire band(s). As Gotham Antennas used to say in their advertisements, "That antenna works!" I thought for sure the Alpha 91B or the Kenwood TL-922A would be needed but nix.

For sure there are other simple wire antennas that work as well or much better, but this baby gets a "thumbs up" for its production.

You cannot go wrong with the DX-A.

Semper Fi,

Tommy - K6YE
DX IS

KB3Z Rating: 4/5 Dec 18, 2007 09:48 Send this review to a friend
Good Antenna but needs trimming  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have had the DX-A up for about 4 months. It wasn't until I hooked up a Winode 2 that I got a good look at the swr's for all 3 bands. 160 and 40 meters are good and I get excellent power out with my AL-811 on. 75 Meters needed quite a bit of tuning or should I say trimming. I probably cut off around 4 feet to get a good swr and power out with the amp. I usually operate from 3700.0 to 3875.0 so I had to do some trimming to get it to work just fine. Good antenna but it took some work to get it there.

KE4NU Rating: 2/5 Nov 24, 2007 21:19 Send this review to a friend
Poor Performer  Time owned: more than 12 months
I picked the DX-A up a few yrs ago and mounted it at 38 ft level below a hf beam and made sure the tower was well grounded. Poor performance on 80 meters, never could get a good match without a tuner. 40 meters was a little better. 160 was really narrow banded but worked fairly good. Stranded wire would have been a better choice over the solid wire which when stressed will come loose from the SO239. Very disappointed, I replaced it with an inverted V and my signal increase about 10 db on 75. Huge difference and didn't need a tuner. Bottom line: try loading a metal gutter or mobile antenna. Don't waste your money on this antenna.
73, Alan

KR4BD Rating: 5/5 Dec 20, 2006 08:54 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding Performance  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had a DX-A for about 10 years or more. Due to my small, city-sized lot, I had few choices for 160 (and even 80 meter) antennas. I had a 45 ft freestanding tower with a tri-bander on top, so the DX-A looked like a perfect antenna for me. With it, I have achieved 5 Band DXCC, all on SSB. Last winter, I finally worked Alaska on 160 for WAS on that band. The DX-A gives me 1.5 to 1 or better from 1860 to 1920 kHz and is virtually flat on the entire 40 meter band. I do use a tuner on 75/80, but that has not stopped me from working well over 100 countries on that band with it.

I noticed the retail price of this antenna recently went up to $100, probably due to the insane price of copper these days.

Tom, KR4BD
Lexington, KY

K9VSK Rating: 5/5 Dec 20, 2006 06:47 Send this review to a friend
Excellent antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just installed the antenna on my tower yesterday at the 32' level with the ends at 10'. Noticed better received signal levels as well as transmit signal on 75 meters. Works well with the FT920. Better performer than my multiband dipole which was at the same height.

W1ZE Rating: 4/5 Jul 5, 2006 14:38 Send this review to a friend
almost worth the $  Time owned: more than 12 months
The DX-A works. Is it a world beater on 160? No, but it does work and will let you log lots of QSOs.
On 75 & 40 meters it works about as well as as a dipole. The center of my DX-A is at 32 feet and on 75M it is a cloud burner, good for regional communications. With my installation, I find it a close match on 30-meters too, and with a transmatch (tuner) I can make it work on other HF bands.

KG9Z Rating: 5/5 Jul 1, 2006 20:33 Send this review to a friend
OUTSTANDING!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had several of these antennas. There are great for what they are. They are NOT a beam or some steerable vertical array but a great antenna for a somewhat limited space.

Mine is installed at about 35 feet at the apex with the 40/160 leg only 3 feet above ground and the 80 leg about 8 feet abouve ground.

I worked the K7C on 160 and 80 Meters. Need I say more!?!?

Just make sure your installation has a GOOD ground system and the tower or mast it is mounted from is also grounded....that may be the key.

73 Scotty KG9Z/8 Wooster, Ohio

P.S. Worked the K7C on 40 and 30 with rotatable dipoles!

KE9K Rating: 5/5 Jul 28, 2005 08:07 Send this review to a friend
A GREAT ANTENNA !!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
For those who wrote poor reviews of this antenna I have one question. Did they read the instructions ? For this antenna to work you have to follow all the instructions. Also if you do not have an antenna tuner in your transceiver or an external tuner do not buy this antenna. I have a kenwood ts-850 with a tuner and a drake mn-2700 tuner. With either one of these tuners I can work all bands top to bottom from 10 meters thru 160 meters at 1:1 swr. I DID NOT waste my time trying to prune the antenna to a certain spot on a band. I put the antenna up just the way it came right out of the bag. The apex is at 52' and the ends at 15'. I work everything my ham buddies work that have loops,inverted Vs and high priced verticals, some up as high as 100'. I have had this antenna up 10 years and never had to climb the tower to fix anything on this antenna. Joe ke9k

W8KX Rating: 1/5 Apr 11, 2005 03:22 Send this review to a friend
Not so great  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased the DX-A a couple years ago in order to get on the bands it covers quickly after a move. To be honest I was somewhat reluctant with the notion of purchasing a commercial wire antenna, having built legions of them over the years.
The DX-A uses standard techniques to provide 3 band operation with a 1/4 wave sloping antenna. It works reasonably well on 160, 80 and 40 (30m operation is a joke) but getting a reasonable match took quite a bit of effort. I expected this as the electrical charecteristics of this design is very installation dependent. I could have easily built this antenna with the time required to tune it.
I have significant gripes with the overall quality of the antenna. The 40/160 meter leg is simply soldered into the center pin of an SO-239 and this has repeatedly failed, requiring a trip up the tower for repairs each time. The mechanical connection for this needs to be improved.
Secondly, the wire is hard drawn solid copper and is very brittle. It kinks readily and is hard to work with generally. This is an issue as considerable experimentation will have to be done with leg lengths.
Finally the 40 meter trap is wound with simple magnet wire on a PVC form. Weather and sun deteriorates the varnish on the wire and the turns will eventually short out. New installations should probably use electrical tape to cover the wire. Also PVC is an inferior dielectric for RF applications.
Overall the antenna works reasonably well. However, to have spent $60 on something that could have been easily duplicated for about $5 to a higher standard of quality is a personal embarassment. W8KX

N5PHT2 Rating: 5/5 Oct 29, 2004 12:48 Send this review to a friend
Good Results  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the DX-A with the hopes of improved performance on 80 and 40 meters and 160 would be a bonus.
Well, I am quite happy with the antenna. The apex is at 40 feet on a homebrew tower. My old dipoles were
up about 25 feet at the apex and that is my reference point. I am very pleased so far. I have added some
totals on 40 and 80 meters. I have even worked 16 DXCC on 160 mtrs (in 3 weeks) and that is more than
I expected. The antenna was fairly easy to install. I did run a ground return (very large guage wire) down
the tower to a ground rod. I didn't want to depend on the tower to make a good ground. Word of caution:
I had trouble on 40 meters with the SWR being erratic. I finally discovered it was my A4S beam. The
instructions with the DX-A speaks about such interference. With my beam (10, 15 and 20 mtrs) turned
to dissect the sloper I have no problems but lots when running parallel. I would buy the DX-A again for
a similiar situation. On 160 it will not be a DX hog but I have already worked Europe once and Africa once
and 21 US States and that is not bad for anything on 160 that is 40 feet up and 67 feet long or so. I use
the antenna successfully on 12, 17, 30 and 60 meters with a tuner. Actually I use a tuner on all bands
because my rig really likes a 1-1 SWR. Email me for any questions or for a sked on 160 mtrs!!