Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Alpha Delta DX-A Help

Reviews Summary for Alpha Delta DX-A
Alpha Delta DX-A Reviews: 28 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $59.95
Description: 160-80-40 Meter 1/4-wave Twin Sloper - A top low frequency DX antenna. Combines the tremendous DX
firepower of the 1/4-wave sloper with the wide bandwidth of the 1/2-wave dipole. One leg is 67 ft., the other 55 ft.
Installs like an Inverted-V with ground return accomplished thru tower or down-lead
More info: http://www.alphadeltacom.com/dxa_ii.htm

You can write your own review of the Alpha Delta DX-A.

N9AZZ Rating: 5/5 Oct 27, 2008 23:02 Send this review to a friend
Great small lot antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used this antenna for a number of years now. I have had good results with it on all of it's advertised bands. I have worked Africa and Europe on 160 and many other countries on 75 and 40. I have mine mounted at 35 feet under a three element beam and other VHF/UHF antennas. I need a tuner on 75, mine never got much below 2.1, but with the tuner I have I can operate across the entire band. (Palstar AT1500DT). I get about 50 kcs on 160, and about 200 kc on 40, with the tuner I can cover the entire bands on each. I can also use this antenna on 12,17 and 30 meters also with a tuner with good results, mostly better than my butternut vertical. Recently I was also able to tune it on 60 meters, but the jury is still out on that bands performance. The 160/40 meter leg has been bent to fit my city lot. I also had the legs as close as 90+ degrees, but now have them more like 180 in a true Vee fashion. I also use the antenna for domestic contacts, and have very good signals reported. Overall a very good antenna for the money for someone who doesn't have a lot of room for wires.

Flip
N9AZZ

YB2TJV Rating: 5/5 Jul 19, 2008 07:06 Send this review to a friend
Good Antenna, Easy Set Up and Low VSWR  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Steve Hass (WB2ZHB) gave me this antenna when he was in Indonesia Juli 10 to 14, 2008, at July 16 I raised up this antenna, first I was worried about guy wires in my tower that affecting the overall performance, but after finished and connected to the tx.... wooooo that's great man... the VSWR is vy low on 40m, 80m and 160, even my old TS 440S, work nice, without antenna tuner, the first station we QSO was VK9XWW from Chrstmas Island 59+20db
that's my comment, thanks Steve Hass WB2ZHB/YB2
de DANI
YB2TJV

K6YE Rating: 5/5 Feb 25, 2008 20:11 Send this review to a friend
AWESOME  Time owned: more than 12 months
My expectations from simple wire antennas are mixed. I purchased the DX-A at a Hamfest primarily for 160 and 80 meters (I have 2 elements on the Force-12 C4XLD for 40). It was NIB for $30 (somebody was thinning the herd). After installing my find, I was able to work my buddies in California without too much trouble.

The VP6DX expedition peeked my interest. I worked them easily on CW. I must say that I do use a Heathkit SA-2060A tuner to get the most out of my IC-775DSP or FT-1000D on the entire band(s). As Gotham Antennas used to say in their advertisements, "That antenna works!" I thought for sure the Alpha 91B or the Kenwood TL-922A would be needed but nix.

For sure there are other simple wire antennas that work as well or much better, but this baby gets a "thumbs up" for its production.

You cannot go wrong with the DX-A.

Semper Fi,

Tommy - K6YE
DX IS

KB3Z Rating: 4/5 Dec 18, 2007 09:48 Send this review to a friend
Good Antenna but needs trimming  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have had the DX-A up for about 4 months. It wasn't until I hooked up a Winode 2 that I got a good look at the swr's for all 3 bands. 160 and 40 meters are good and I get excellent power out with my AL-811 on. 75 Meters needed quite a bit of tuning or should I say trimming. I probably cut off around 4 feet to get a good swr and power out with the amp. I usually operate from 3700.0 to 3875.0 so I had to do some trimming to get it to work just fine. Good antenna but it took some work to get it there.

KE4NU Rating: 2/5 Nov 24, 2007 21:19 Send this review to a friend
Poor Performer  Time owned: more than 12 months
I picked the DX-A up a few yrs ago and mounted it at 38 ft level below a hf beam and made sure the tower was well grounded. Poor performance on 80 meters, never could get a good match without a tuner. 40 meters was a little better. 160 was really narrow banded but worked fairly good. Stranded wire would have been a better choice over the solid wire which when stressed will come loose from the SO239. Very disappointed, I replaced it with an inverted V and my signal increase about 10 db on 75. Huge difference and didn't need a tuner. Bottom line: try loading a metal gutter or mobile antenna. Don't waste your money on this antenna.
73, Alan

KR4BD Rating: 5/5 Dec 20, 2006 08:54 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding Performance  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had a DX-A for about 10 years or more. Due to my small, city-sized lot, I had few choices for 160 (and even 80 meter) antennas. I had a 45 ft freestanding tower with a tri-bander on top, so the DX-A looked like a perfect antenna for me. With it, I have achieved 5 Band DXCC, all on SSB. Last winter, I finally worked Alaska on 160 for WAS on that band. The DX-A gives me 1.5 to 1 or better from 1860 to 1920 kHz and is virtually flat on the entire 40 meter band. I do use a tuner on 75/80, but that has not stopped me from working well over 100 countries on that band with it.

I noticed the retail price of this antenna recently went up to $100, probably due to the insane price of copper these days.

Tom, KR4BD
Lexington, KY

K9VSK Rating: 5/5 Dec 20, 2006 06:47 Send this review to a friend
Excellent antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just installed the antenna on my tower yesterday at the 32' level with the ends at 10'. Noticed better received signal levels as well as transmit signal on 75 meters. Works well with the FT920. Better performer than my multiband dipole which was at the same height.

W1ZE Rating: 4/5 Jul 5, 2006 14:38 Send this review to a friend
almost worth the $  Time owned: more than 12 months
The DX-A works. Is it a world beater on 160? No, but it does work and will let you log lots of QSOs.
On 75 & 40 meters it works about as well as as a dipole. The center of my DX-A is at 32 feet and on 75M it is a cloud burner, good for regional communications. With my installation, I find it a close match on 30-meters too, and with a transmatch (tuner) I can make it work on other HF bands.

KG9Z Rating: 5/5 Jul 1, 2006 20:33 Send this review to a friend
OUTSTANDING!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had several of these antennas. There are great for what they are. They are NOT a beam or some steerable vertical array but a great antenna for a somewhat limited space.

Mine is installed at about 35 feet at the apex with the 40/160 leg only 3 feet above ground and the 80 leg about 8 feet abouve ground.

I worked the K7C on 160 and 80 Meters. Need I say more!?!?

Just make sure your installation has a GOOD ground system and the tower or mast it is mounted from is also grounded....that may be the key.

73 Scotty KG9Z/8 Wooster, Ohio

P.S. Worked the K7C on 40 and 30 with rotatable dipoles!

KE9K Rating: 5/5 Jul 28, 2005 08:07 Send this review to a friend
A GREAT ANTENNA !!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
For those who wrote poor reviews of this antenna I have one question. Did they read the instructions ? For this antenna to work you have to follow all the instructions. Also if you do not have an antenna tuner in your transceiver or an external tuner do not buy this antenna. I have a kenwood ts-850 with a tuner and a drake mn-2700 tuner. With either one of these tuners I can work all bands top to bottom from 10 meters thru 160 meters at 1:1 swr. I DID NOT waste my time trying to prune the antenna to a certain spot on a band. I put the antenna up just the way it came right out of the bag. The apex is at 52' and the ends at 15'. I work everything my ham buddies work that have loops,inverted Vs and high priced verticals, some up as high as 100'. I have had this antenna up 10 years and never had to climb the tower to fix anything on this antenna. Joe ke9k