Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Drake L-7 Help

Reviews Summary for Drake L-7
Drake L-7 Reviews: 18 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $1090.00 in 1981
Description: 160 thru 15 (10 optional) 2KW PEP Pair 3-500Z Tuned input 100 watt drive - 110 or 220 V

You can write your own review of the Drake L-7.

S57CW Rating: 5/5 Mar 29, 2009 08:23 Send this review to a friend
good value  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I acquired it used(no wonder :-) it is 30 years + old). Very quiet, smooth tunning, handle 2:1 SWR without problems, WARC bands, like mil specs, realy durable, separate power supplay can be puth away and main unit nicely at hands. Good value for money and if you get hands on unit which was not heavilly modified and was taken care for you will get 1kw+ for reasonable price.

Those into homebrew bussines can get lots of extra power from pair of 3-500Zs by building new power supplay. Would preffer ACOM 1000, but got this for half of the price. My still has original EIMAC tubes...

W6RTW Rating: 5/5 Sep 10, 2007 21:36 Send this review to a friend
Strong Solid Performer  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using my L7 for years and it continues to be a strong, solid performer. The 3-500 pair is a great set of tubes and the design of the amplifier is classic and hard to improve upon. I have installed a couple mods that I feel are helpful. The power supply upgrade kit from Mike, WB8VGE is a worthy product. It provides everything you would probably need to do for a supply of this age. The second mod is installing the high speed relay kit offered by Rick, AG6K. I have found this essential for using this amp during CW QSK operation. This amplifier is in use during high power contest SO2R operation with my Icom 756 Pro III as the run side of the shack. It has never failed me and I have not always been nice to it. If you can find one, grab it. They seem to be difficult to find. Probably, like me, hams just don't want to part with it. Purchasing a pair of 3-500s won't require mortgaging your house either! This amp is a keeper.
73, Bob W6RTW

G0MJK Rating: 5/5 Jul 28, 2007 04:39 Send this review to a friend
Great design and build  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using this amp with both a Drake TR7 and my Kenwood TS950SDX. It works just great and is so quiet after my Kenwood TL922. This is so easy to tune,even the WARC bands, and I bought it as part of a complete Drake TR7 station from a US ham who couldn't operate any more. One thing I would advise is to bring the PSU up to date with the kit which you can buy from the Heathkit shop which replaces all the old bleed resistors and caps. Now expensive to buy - they never were cheap - but worth every penny.

K4DTC Rating: 5/5 May 7, 2007 18:42 Send this review to a friend
Strong, silent type  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just bought a mint L7. It is very nicely styled, an the RF deck is very light. I powered it up, I could bearly tell it was on. The case is solid (so not much tube glow) and the fan was ultra quiet. It has 3-500ZG tubes in it, so there is almost no warm up. After tuning it up, I got extra nice signal reports. After trying some pile ups barefoot, I turned on the amp, and almost always got throught the first try. This is a very nice amp, but they don't come cheap.

AD3G Rating: 5/5 Nov 3, 2004 21:18 Send this review to a friend
NICE AMP  Time owned: more than 12 months
Works great,even on WARC bands,runs quiet & cool.Has "modern" styling,even though it's 25+ yrs old,so it doesn't look out of place sitting next to a newer rig. Get one if you can find one,you won't be sorry.

K5YY Rating: 5/5 Nov 3, 2004 18:27 Send this review to a friend
Smooth amp  Time owned: more than 12 months
Only problem with this L7 which I picked up from original owner in excellent condition is that the HV metering is off by about 500 volts. There is a voltage adjustment pot for the meter but it is behind one of the tubes and I do not feel like going in and working on it! hi It is the smoothest to tune 3-500Z amp I have had, much easier than the L4B, and the looks are great. Does not run hot and has super quite relay system. Get one for a backup if nothing else, IF you can find one used.. San K5YY

KZ1X Rating: 5/5 Jul 19, 2004 00:15 Send this review to a friend
Alas...  Time owned: more than 12 months
I wish I hadn't sold mine.

I added vacuum relays, a speed up circuit, a power supply cooling modification, a optoisolated keying circuit, and a filament voltage control. Talk about a SWEET amplifier!!Then, I lost big $$$ in the stock market crash. Bye-bye to the smell of warm glass on a winter morning...

My advice: get one, and keep it.

K9CSM Rating: 5/5 Jul 18, 2004 22:22 Send this review to a friend
Great Amp & Quiet!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have used many different amplifiers since they became popular in the Sixties. First one was a Collins 30S-1 I believe. The first L-7 came to me recently & I must say its a champ. Relay is quiet,FAN IS VERY QUIET(!), its easy to tune, provides plenty of output, looks great, is quite compact. The power supply is seperate, runs cool and thats easy to place out of the way. Looks like THIS IS A KEEPER. Ben Piller, K9CSM

LU1YNE Rating: 5/5 Jul 7, 2004 14:08 Send this review to a friend
JUST GREAT!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This amp is really impressive AND cheap! Not A problem in 6 months... Best amp for its price! Buy one if you can!...

W0AD Rating: 5/5 May 28, 2004 14:44 Send this review to a friend
Industrial strength  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been an amp fan since the beginning.. (WNBQA in 1970). I've used Dentron, Heathkit (SB-200, SB-220), BTI (LK-2000HD), Alpha (76PA), Collins (30L-1), homebrew 8877s (lots of versions of that .. see K3LR's website, I sold mine to Tim) Ameritron (AL-1200, AL-80A), and the Drake L-7.

Other than the Collins 30L1, I've never felt so comfortable in changing bands and antenna loads without fear of an arc or an overload. 160 meters is a great addition which I use frequently without resorting to the maximum tune and load positions as I've had to do with other amps.

Mil spec mechanical and electrical design, remote (conservative) power supply, nicely built and looks great on the desk.

Finally, Bill Frost is still at Drake, any questions or help you need with the amp will be handled with professional care by Bill....