Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Icom IC-T7A & T7H Help

Reviews Summary for Icom IC-T7A & T7H
Icom IC-T7A & T7H Reviews: 112 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $200
Description: Transmit 144 - 148 MHz and 440-450 MHz
5 watts out of the box with standard battery pack, 6 watts @ 13.5 V DC
Dimensions: 2.3 (W), 4.8 (H), 1.1 (D) inches, 14.3 oz
One-touch band switching - CTCSS tone encode/decode
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com

You can write your own review of the Icom IC-T7A & T7H.

AI4HO Rating: 5/5 Feb 23, 2014 11:27 Send this review to a friend
Absolutely a stellar HT!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Wow, wish i still had my T7H by Icom, I lost mine! Don't ask, I don't know, how, when, or where, but I did. I was heart broken when I discovered it was missing. The only thing I do remember was having it out testing a NOS antenna I had for it, I must have set it on the bumper of my truck, and then not realizing I had left it there drove off with it still there..well for a few minutes any way.

What I liked best about this HT was that when you plugged it into a 12 volt power supply, like with the 12 volt power cord/battery charger, you can get 6 watts out with this little HT. OK, 6 watts isn't much, couple the Icom T7H with a decent mobile antenna..something with a little gain, hey, sometimes 6 watts and a mobile antenna was all I needed.

The new T7H Sport or whatever it is called wont do this, only the original T7H will do 6 watts on 12 volts. Yes, there are some HTs that put out 7 or 8 watts, that works too, there was just something about the T7H, it just always worked. I never had a problem, never in the 7 or 8 years I had this HT, I never had a problem with it. It was easy to program by hand, even simpler using the programming cable and software that was available. I don't ever take my laptop any where so having an HT that was easy to program on the fly is a huge thing for me.

I did recently buy my best friends T7H he didn't use it much, and I got it and an extra battery and 2 battery packs for a decent price. I don't think I still have my 12 volt power cable for the T7H, but that is something I can get, unless my friend put his old 12 volt power cord in with the deal.

Yes, the Icom T7H is a stellar rig, has all the features one needs in an HT, without it being overly complicated. The T7H fits this to a T..7H.

73 de Mark
AI4HO

W8BSW Rating: 5/5 Apr 6, 2013 18:34 Send this review to a friend
Great HT!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my first IC T7H 10 years ago at Fort Wayne Hamfest. Had it for 7 years, left it lay on the seat for twelve hours while at work and came back to find the screen reading "clear". The radio was unresponsive and nothing I did would reset it. I liked it so much, I bought another one 3 years ago and I love it. The receive sounds great and I always get good reports on my transmit audio quality. The radio feels good in my hand and is solid. It's been dropped several times and still going strong. Even with the squelch set on auto and high, it still gets broken by domestic RF sources on some frequencies. All I have to do is touch the antenna and it resumes scanning. The belt clip is metal and is attatched with screws...very durable. The clip gets pretty warm after extended use, but I was told that it also acts as a heatsink so I'm good with that. If anything ever happened to this radio I would definitely buy another one. A great basic dual bander!!

N7OE Rating: 4/5 Oct 14, 2012 09:59 Send this review to a friend
Still going!  Time owned: more than 12 months
It's been more than ten years since my last review (see page 9 for that one), but I figured I should drop in with an update: The T7H has been my HT for over a decade now and is still solid as a rock. I've definitely gotten my money's worth out of it! Thanks to careful maintenance, the original battery is still somewhat useful, though I often fall back to aftermarket AA battery packs. My original complaint about the squelch still holds: It is quite weak and often breaks for noise from my wireless router and other domestic RF sources even when manually adjusted to the max. Bit annoying, yes! Other than that... it's a well-built, well-sized dual-band HT with all the basic functions, and continues to be all the HT I need.

KB4SOG Rating: 5/5 Jul 16, 2012 17:26 Send this review to a friend
Great little radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Bought this from the brother of a SK at a hamfest some months back. He didn't know if it worked, had no instructions, and it wasn't charged (but had a wall-wart charger). He was only asking $30 so I figured I'd give it a try. I have to admit, I love this little radio! I replaced the old antenna with a larger one, I'm pretty rural. The radio has a PB-180xh (7.2v, 1000 mAh) battery and the BP-170 AAA pack - it goes forever between charges. The radio is easy to use, sounds good (both receive and transmit). I don't know what these normally sell for, but if I had to replace this one I'd look for another - and would pay the going price. One small note - it takes 28 hours to charge the BP-180xh using the wall-wart through the radio, which is why I'm glad I have the AAA pack!

HK3TKI Rating: 5/5 May 12, 2012 09:47 Send this review to a friend
Excelente  Time owned: more than 12 months
He tenido tres equipos de estos y si puedo comprare uno mas, transmite con buena potencia, hasta 6 watios cuando lo instalo a la cigarrera del carro, con una antena Maldol y manos libres me permite escuchar y transmitir con reportes de 5.9, además escucho la banda aérea con excelente audio, cuando practico el vuelo en paramotor y ultraliviano me permite transmitir en AM con la torre de control, lo recomiendo para los pilotos y radioaficionados. Tendrán dos radios en uno, banda aérea y radioaficionado. piloto47@hotmail.com

N0IHM Rating: 4/5 Jan 30, 2012 15:20 Send this review to a friend
Good HT  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a great HT, but, you should unlock the battery before you go to bed. There is a constant drain and it will go dead faster if not disconnected at night. Otherwise, it is a good HT for me. I have listened to the FM ham Sats with it, but need to set the squelch off. Good HT in my opinion.

N3CSA Rating: 5/5 Oct 29, 2011 16:27 Send this review to a friend
Excellent dual bander  Time owned: more than 12 months
This was my first radio as a new ham. Had one for about 5 years until it wore out. Bought a micro-ht which is nice but I really missed the direct frequency entry and rugged feel of the T7H. So, I bought another one! Very happy with it. It is much better built than my V80 (which isn't a bad rig, but the T7H is heads over heels a better radio IMHO).

If you have one, keep it (or sell it to me :-)

KF7GKZ Rating: 5/5 Jun 7, 2011 15:42 Send this review to a friend
Solid Performer for a beginner  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
At first had issues with programming, but once I understood how - it was simple to add new freqs in. Got the AA battery pack with rechargeable batteries. Don't TX on it much but it holds a charge for RXing for a couple days. Got the software and cable - made programming easier as I am starting to collect more Frequencies
Not a bad radio for a beginner - Solid and does what I bought it for

W7KFO Rating: 5/5 Apr 23, 2011 16:01 Send this review to a friend
Great Little Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned this dual bander for nine years and taken it everywhere. It's been dropped, chilled, cooked, etc. and just keeps going. I bought the Icom drop in charger and am currently using a pair of BP-173x NiMH batteries. With the Icom CP-12L car charger and a Pryme speaker-mic this rig also pinch-hits as a 6 watt mobile! I am sorry to see Icom drop it from their line-up since it is soooo easy to field program.

I guess I'm not really surprised at this rig's longevity. I'm still using my Icom IC-2GAT handheld (with a Batteries America AA case and Powerwerx 2.7 AmpHour cells).

VK3AXX Rating: 5/5 Feb 13, 2011 23:30 Send this review to a friend
Still going strong  Time owned: more than 12 months
Great little performer - Still going strong in 2011. Still utilising the original rechargable battery.