Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Icom IC-T7A & T7H Help

Reviews Summary for Icom IC-T7A & T7H
Icom IC-T7A & T7H Reviews: 112 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $200
Description: Transmit 144 - 148 MHz and 440-450 MHz
5 watts out of the box with standard battery pack, 6 watts @ 13.5 V DC
Dimensions: 2.3 (W), 4.8 (H), 1.1 (D) inches, 14.3 oz
One-touch band switching - CTCSS tone encode/decode
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com

You can write your own review of the Icom IC-T7A & T7H.

W8AQ Rating: 5/5 Jan 13, 2011 07:43 Send this review to a friend
Great Handheld!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Back in 2002, when I got back into ham radio, I also made my first foray into VHF and UHF with an IC-T7H. For me, it was the perfect choice.

Easy to learn, I was on the local repeaters within about 20 minutes. And I'd never used a repeater before. Very simple and intuitive.

The issues you read about the OEM battery are all true. It's horrible. But Batteries America's BP-173x is a great solution. I bought mine years ago and it still goes strong. I also added the 6 AA cell holder which allows me to have pretty much full-power anywhere I happen to be. I normally have rechargeables available for it, but if I'm traveling, any drug, hardware, grocery or convenience store has all the power I'll need. And honestly, I've not found the Icom to be much of a power hog. Hey, I wish my smart phone could do as well as the T7H!

I've not only held onto my T7H in the years since, I've bought three more. Two I passed on to brand new hams because of it's simplicity. The fourth sits next to my first...as a back-up.

Both are great old friends.

KC2VDM Rating: 5/5 Jan 12, 2011 09:56 Send this review to a friend
EPIC LITTLE RADIO!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
this was my first amateur radio and it has served me well. i still have it over 3 years later. it is in nearly perfect condition still, and has only a couple of scratches and dings, considering its been with me all through middle school and has been dropped numerous times. i have the sport version and went looking for a new battery pack (more wattage) and noticed its already been discontinued. i have done the expanded rx mod and it still works fine! it served me many good years on the W2ZQ pepper net. now i use a FT-227r for my 2 meter base use. Overall, a great first time radio, if you can find one at a hamfest, GET IT!

KE6EUM Rating: 5/5 May 12, 2010 00:44 Send this review to a friend
Rock Solid (7 years)  Time owned: more than 12 months
A follow up from my previous review.
Just died two days ago from an electrical short on the power supply. (Lasted 7 years). Until then it still worked flowlessly. Still on the original battery which was maintained with car/solar power.
The Radio shack mic was a better match then the Pryme.
I would love to replace it (The radio) but i personally do not find much use for the 70cm band, therefore a new 2 meter mono band ht I find a better option for me then a used ic-t7h.

I love the radio ,the most reliable and easiest to use i've ever owned, ("no complicated menu system"), but economically a newer single bander (for my needs), being cheaper,then a good qaulity used ic-t7h is a better option.
Don't let this posting discurrage you. If you can find a ic-t7h at a fair price, buy it! I will buy again !!

K4KB Rating: 4/5 Mar 24, 2010 15:53 Send this review to a friend
New one is coming >>IC-T70A<<  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was looking to buy this HT. However after reading all the reviews, I concluded that it was missing some features that I considered important, i.e. no alphanumeric, no backlight, and others that are discussed in these reviews.

So, I was debating whether to buy it, I liked the size and other features, too.

I've just found out that the IC-T7H is being discontinued by ICOM, maybe someone in Tokyo was reading these reviews too.

They are coming out with a new replacement. The >>>Icom IC-T70A<<< and the "street" price is about $219.00, it has ALL the IC-T7H was missing.

So I guess I've made my decision, the IC-T70A will be the one for me.

Jorge, K4KB

W8AAZ Rating: 5/5 Mar 10, 2010 18:08 Send this review to a friend
Gives 100% for me  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have one that a friend bought when introduced and sold the whole package to me a year or two later. So I have had it for many years and it still works great. Gone thru a couple battery packs. Some guys down south sell oriental replacements cheap on ebay that work fine for me. So I do not have to swallow big $$$ when I need that. Keep the AA pack full of good alkalines for emer. backup. Simple radio to use, works great, enough power, and no complaints except like the man said, draws down batteries in storage. So what I store batteries off the radio. Got a small vinyl zip bag with pockets for med stuff that holds the whole kit under the car seat. They still make it so it still is selling and you cannot go wrong with it IMO. No breaks or trips back to Icom ever. Easily the longest owned ham rig I have since I started in 74.

RADIO_RANDY Rating: 5/5 Oct 7, 2009 17:14 Send this review to a friend
Great radio!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this radio since back when they still came with a rechargeable pack. I purchased this model because:

a. It was a dual band radio
b. It used the same battery as my XYL's handy
c. It was cheaper than my XYL's handy (IC-T22A)

I'm on my third Ni-Mh battery which should give you some idea of how long I've had this radio. Figure about 3 years per battery. I also purchased the AA pack for both radios.

I prefer the "heft" of the radio with the rechargeable, along with the increased power output over the AA pack. The rechargeable is the BP-173X from Batteries America which includes a separate charging port for an 8 hour recharge. If you use the DC port on the radio, the charge time is 16 hours.

I have no gripes about this radio that I wouldn't have with a similarly designed unit from another manufacturer. If you want an inexpensive dual bander (no cross band or duplex operation), get the IC-T7H (Sport).

VR2XMC Rating: 5/5 Jul 25, 2009 16:50 Send this review to a friend
basic but excellent  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
It is a pretty basic dual band H/T but gives you all the necessary functions. No grimmicks but very practical. Size is handy and program software is easily available. With a street price of USD190 in VR2, it is very value for money. After market BP180 7.2v 1000mAH battery pack could be obtained at only USD19. With this battery pack, the H/T can be operated for loooong period at full power. It has a wide frequency coverage from 118-900Mhz upon modification. A very practical small H/T!!

N6BOB Rating: 5/5 Jan 5, 2009 19:30 Send this review to a friend
Great Dual Band HT  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had mine 3 years and it has worked great. I have the software to load it with all my favorite frequencies and the local sheriff and police, so it works as a scanner too. I have programmed about a dozen of these radios from my fellow hams. The handy BNC connector lets one easily use other antennas in the mobile or at home. The rig has a nice feel.
The radio now ships with just a AA battery pack. For about 30 dollars or less one can buy a 1450 ma rechargeable battery that lasts a long time. One then have to buy a drop in charger or use a spare wall wort type charge to recharge it.
Too bad Icom doesn't sell the radio with the charger and battery.
The radio has a nice feel and is easy to program. One can't go wrong with this radio.

KR5N Rating: 4/5 Dec 5, 2008 13:40 Send this review to a friend
Annoying design  Time owned: more than 12 months
The bad design that keeps kicking me after all this time, is that the battery pack will discharge when not using the radio. Apparently, the power switch requires some current to monitor it. This is a dumb design. Why not use the good old-fashioned twist-off, twist-on power switch in combination with a rotary potentiometer? So, what I am forced to do, if I don't want to keep the radio on constant trickle charge (which is bad for the batteries), is to charge the batteries and then take the battery pack off the back of the radio. This is the only way to have the batteries hold a charge. Otherwise, the radio drains current even if it is turned off. I use my HT rarely, so I'd like to have it charged when I need it. With the battery pack removed from the radio, it does hold a charge like a normal NiCd pack. In all other respects, the radio works great and has all the features I want and more. Well, I don't like the pre-set squelch levels either. Second bad design. Of course, I've never missed a call that I knew about..... ha ha.

WB8UUJ Rating: 5/5 Nov 7, 2008 20:37 Send this review to a friend
I'm greatly satisfied....  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my T7H in December 2006 to fill a specific need for ARES and other public service activity, as well as for use in personal 120VAC power-outage situations....my need was for a small-ish no-frills VHF/UHF HT with alkaline-AA battery capability, the ability to function within a wide external DC voltage range, and with a relatively low current draw in receive/stand-by mode....in short, I wanted a very versatile portable VHF/UHF tranceiver....

With this purpose in mind, my T7H fills the bill....I normally use it with a speaker-mic and, depending on circumstances, I've used it with a variety of antennas....

As they say, I'm a happy camper!