Reviews Categories | Transmitters: Vintage amateur | Ameco AC 1 Help

Reviews Summary for Ameco AC 1
Ameco AC 1 Reviews: 17 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $around $25-30
Description: 15 watt 80/40 meter transmitter using 6v6 oscillator on "shoebox" style chassis. Xtal control.
More info: http://www.n4mw.com/ac1.htm

You can write your own review of the Ameco AC 1.

K7RAN Rating: 5/5 Mar 1, 2006 12:23 Send this review to a friend
The Cult of AC-1  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The nostalgic Ameco AC-1 novice transmitter has developed a devoted cult following, with online auction examples selling for $250 to $550 (!) depending upon age and condition. An mint unbuilt kit recently sold for more than $850 (February 2006). Here's a link to an active user group:

W1GFH Rating: 5/5 Oct 23, 2004 22:44 Send this review to a friend
A Classic!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This rig considered was the bottom of the barrel in the 50's and 60's. Now, you'd have a hard time getting one for less than $300 on eBay. Many people are building AC-1 "clones". Here is a page of nostalgia, mods, plans, and pictures -- all about the AC-1.

The OFFICIAL Ameco AC-1 Site

KT4XF Rating: 2/5 Jan 9, 2004 19:18 Send this review to a friend
1.812 CW  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got the rig at the 1970 Dayton hamfest, used it on & off till I decided to get on 160, converted it to SS rectfiers, the xfmr burned up, tried a 450v supply that put 22w input! Now it uses a 150v B+...abt 2w out to a 100' wire & Radio Shaft DX 150B rx.. .. .. Anyone interesed in starting a net or club?

W5ACM Rating: 5/5 Jan 9, 2004 16:01 Send this review to a friend
Still Have It - Love It!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I ordered my Ameco AC-1 in early 1969 from Allied Electronics. After some instruction on how to trim wires to proper lengths, I got it all together, put it on the air, and started making contacts. This was my first ham transmitter, and was my only one until I found a used Heathkit DX-60A and discovered 15 Meters. I still have the AC-1, and it still looks good and still works. It is now part of a "portable" unit that includes a WW2 receiver and power inverter for 12 VDC ops! I have bought and sold a lot of gear over the years, but the AC-1 stays...

W6EIJ Rating: 5/5 Aug 26, 2003 02:08 Send this review to a friend
Great Rig!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This was my first project, 1969. When I plugged it in, it was as if I were testing a mega-watt rig. Had lots of fun with it. I still have the instruction booklet,tubes and coil, but I cannot find the rig itself. My log shows that I continued to use it through 1978.

AL7B Rating: 5/5 Aug 26, 2003 01:35 Send this review to a friend
Great Xmtr  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This was my novice rig in 1966. All I could afford at 15 years. Worked well after repairing the shorted shield on my coax at the antenna. Only took me a month of calling CQ without a reply to figure it out. Then worked LA and AK on 40 meters from W6 land. I only regret tossing this gem in the trash after upgrading to the SB-101 as a young adult.

Dick AL7B
Anchorage
(WN6TUA)

N1MG Rating: 5/5 Mar 13, 2002 18:19 Send this review to a friend
Oh the simple joy  Time owned: more than 12 months
This was my novice rig. Imagine running 15 watts crystal control to a lousy longwire about 10 feet off the ground. Pure Joy. Hours calling CQ. How can you forget those simple pleasures of life.