Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Eico 753 Triband Help

Reviews Summary for Eico 753 Triband
Eico 753 Triband Reviews: 42 Average rating: 2.1/5 MSRP: $189.95
Description: Vintage Triband transceiver

You can write your own review of the Eico 753 Triband.

W7AMX Rating: 2/5 May 21, 2008 16:11 Send this review to a friend
HOT radio! (especially if you put your hand over the PA!!)   Time owned: more than 12 months
I built a 753 back in '70 and the matching AC supply. Mine had good audio on transmit and receive with a nice CW note. My friend Neil bought and built one also. He liked 20 meters and ran his mobile. While on a long distance trip he noticed that when the vents were open and a steady stream of air flowed over the radio, the VFO settled down. So he told me to put a muffin fan over the VFO. It sure helped the drift and made the radio 'useable'. Sure the radio had horrible drift issues, but could be somewhat controlled.

Neil and I still refer to the 753 as the 7 'drifty' 3.

Bought one at a flea market for $10. It works, but whoever built this one goofed up the driver coil/cap combos so the power out drops fast as you tune off the tuned frequency. Keep it for the memories. :)

W0CKI Rating: 0/5 Jan 29, 2008 14:43 Send this review to a friend
It was ugly to  Time owned: more than 12 months
The worst and ugly to boot!!

K1XM Rating: 0/5 Jan 29, 2008 13:09 Send this review to a friend
An awful radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I borrowed one of these when I got my Advanced license (I went directly from Novice to Advanced).

The transmitter chirped on CW and on phone, where it was referred to as FMing. People would tell me to "get that thing off the air!" and they were right.

It drifted, and the drift was different on each band.

The Eico 753 was junk. It should never have been allowed on the market. I see that it has the lowest rating of any transceiver on eham - and it deserves it.

KC8OJU Rating: 5/5 Oct 11, 2007 09:59 Send this review to a friend
I loves my 753s  Time owned: more than 12 months
After power supply rebuilds and changing most of resistors in critical circuits, gutting the 0A2 regulator that powers the VFO. With a voltage doubler off the 12VAC filament. Getting me 24VDC to power the TL431 I used to replace the VFO zener. Replacing the pilot bulbs with high output LED's. Putting my freq counter on the output of the VFO I waited and waited for it to drift more than 10hz.

I have three 753's and 2 power supplies.

My next project is putting in two 4CX250s' and rebuilding the final pi circuit. Putting 568 watt peltier coolers and a fan on the PA cage, tetrode protect ciruits and beefing up the supply to get 1000 watts on CW.

K7FD Rating: 1/5 Oct 10, 2007 20:46 Send this review to a friend
Eico 753 Pro II  Time owned: more than 12 months
iT's nOt a BaD rIg OnCe yOu gEt uSeD tO iT!

73 jOhN k7fD

K7ZSK Rating: 2/5 May 28, 2007 05:28 Send this review to a friend
Radio by which all others are measured  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had an ncx 3 for a year and a friend had bought and built a 753 from kit. Spent much time chasing him around on 75 and 40 ssb. Both of us hated our respective rigs because we had had several years of CW/AM behind us and CW was a joke on both rigs. I acquired TWO 753 w/TWO AC supply and one DC supply(manuals included) for $35.00 and they sit in my downstairs radio museum as a reminder of how bad a radio can be. I got rid of the NCX3 and went back to CW with Viking II and Mohawk RX.

N4KH Rating: 0/5 Feb 15, 2007 20:23 Send this review to a friend
A Real Zero  Time owned: months
Someone loaned me a 753 to play with for a week or two back in the 70s.

Has to be the worst rig ever made.

W4CAS Rating: 1/5 Nov 28, 2006 08:20 Send this review to a friend
Learned a Lot From This ol' Junker!!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Just couldn't resist adding my two cents worth of comments about this really awful rig! I acquired one back in the early 70's from a ham who told me that I could have the d--n thing if I just hauled it off and got it out of his sight! He had already performed a frontal lobotomy on the rig by removing the horrible VFO, but it was otherwise intact. After a little thought about what in the world I was gonna do with this newly acquired pile of junk and what I would do for a VFO, I decided to build a crystal controlled oscillator and put some of those ol' surplus FT-243 crystals I had laying around to work! Guess what?? It worked pretty well - so I followed up with a VXO circuit that gave me the ability to tune a few kHz to either side of the xtal frequency - and actually turned that junk heap into something useable! I used it fairly successfully on MARS and a few regular ham net frequencies for over a year then gave it to a new ham who used it for a couple of more years - and yes, he's still speaking to me! Once the VFO problem was eliminated, it was actually a passable rig - and I learned a hell of a lot in the process - like never buy another EICO ham rig!!

VE1BLL Rating: 1/5 Nov 11, 2006 08:04 Send this review to a friend
Not good.  Time owned: more than 12 months
The Eico 753 was my first HF rig (bought used in the late 70s). I spent months building a power supply for it (it requires numerous voltages). Only ever used it on CW.

The experience with the 753 certainly makes me appreciate 'modern' radios (like my Argosy II and Yaesu FT-77 ;-) ).

KG6AF Rating: 0/5 Nov 10, 2006 19:23 Send this review to a friend
The Yugo of HF transceivers?  Time owned: more than 12 months
Somewhere in the deepest depths of the afterlife, the designers of this atrocity are buried up to their armpits in hot coals, with a cool glass of water and a copy of the RCA Tube Manual just out of reach.

I bought and assembled this incredible piece of electronic junk when I was 14, shortly after I got my General license. An astonishingly bad rig, the EICO 753 transmitted robotic, metallic-sounding SSB. Fortunately, the VFO drifted so rapidly that the person you were talking to usually attributed the bad tx audio to mistuning. Thanks to this rig's awful signal, I struck up an ongoing correspondence with an ARRL Official Observer in Palmyra, NY.

I did benefit in two ways from owning the 753: the phrase "You get what you pay for" was seared into my brain, and I appreciated my next rig, the excellent Drake TR-4, even more than I would have had I not had the misfortune to own this abomination.