Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners | SGC QMS-37 Help

Reviews Summary for SGC QMS-37
Reviews: 1 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $425 sterling or less
Description: Mobile Automatic Antenna Tuner, comes kitted out with industrial quality rubber suction cups and high quality retaining straps, antenna whip optional minimum length is seven foot.
More info: http://www.sgcworld.com

You can write your own review of the SGC QMS-37.

GI0ZGB Rating: 5/5 Mar 16, 2002 18:41 Send this review to a friend
Modified SGC QMS-37 Mobile Automatic Antenna Tuning Unit  Time owned: more than 12 months
When I purchased the SGC QMS-37 Mobile ATU
I thought it was the answer to my prayers, until I went mobile. Whenever I approached the double nickle (55 mph) the retaining straps started to vibrate so loudly I had difficulty hearing the XYL screaming at me to stop or she would jump out. For a moment I was tempted to drive faster, just for a moment. Anyway, all attempts to stop the straps vibrating failed, so, I got rid of the straps and the suction cups and fitted four mag-mounts, two seven inch diameter at the front and two five inch diameter at the rear in place of the suction cups but fitted them the opposite way to the suction cups i.e. upside down. I had discovered that using the top 1/4wl section from a Shakespere ABS 1600 C.B. antenna gave me reliable extended coverage 160m through 6m, possibly due to the lower Q characteristics of this particular whip, but, it should be noted that the grounding arrangments plays a significant part in the coverage obtained and the reliability of tuning, also the SWR protection circutry of the rig can cause tuning problems.
I considered that the dedicated antennas, despite being of very high quality in materials and construction were too excessively expensive for my liking and were just as likley to be affected by the previously mentioned variables as a cheap whip. The entire assembly was placed on the roof of a Ford Cosworth and tested up to 125mph. The mag-mounts were circled with chalk to establish if any movement or slipping was evident, but I can report that the security of this arrangment tested seems to be superior to the manufacturers, perhaps conservative, figure of >80mph. I would recommend the use of the optional Smartlock unit as this indicates when the unit has successfully tuned via the illumination of a green LED. I found the QMS-37 a pleasure to use, gone was the necessity of jumping in and out of the vehicle to change bands, perhaps getting soaked in the process. It does attract curious stares from the uninitiated and wannabees alike, but most importantly, it gets the job done. In conclusion, the User Manual contains a wealth of information and beyond that contacting SGC will deliver a considered and friendly response to any problems you may have. It should be noted that any attempted modifications is the sole responsibility of the owner, and may void any warranty, so check with the manufacturer or local dealer.
Gerry, Gi0ZGB 73.