Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | ICOM IC-2100H Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-2100H
ICOM IC-2100H Reviews: 200 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $140
Description: Two meter mobile
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com/amateur/2mmobile/ic2100hmain.asp

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-2100H.

N8VIL Rating: 3/5 Jun 27, 2014 23:21 Send this review to a friend
Good radio after repairs  Time owned: more than 12 months
Great radio until output went south. Replaced with a commercial radio output (M68702L) which has a wider bandwidth (135-160 MHz) than the original (144-146 MHz) but otherwise same specifications. The original output is an obsolete part. Did the star washer on the ground screws to eliminate the crackle in the audio. I also added a lead weight to the microphone to give a more solid feel. The microphone has a square recess like it was made for a weight to be installed. After my repairs and mods a great radio. I did the repairs in 2005.

N5NLU Rating: 4/5 Dec 14, 2013 18:52 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
This radio was the replacement to my Yaesu FT-8000R Dual Band that went out after only 2 years. I think I got it back in 2002, used it for about 2 years, sold the truck it was in and then put it back in the box where it has sat until Nov 2013. I got the urge to key a mic again, ordered an antenna, coax, and a bracket for my truck. Hooked everything up and I was back on the air. I know this thing sat for 10 years in the box and I have used it pretty hard the last month.

it does have the heat sink body which works. Sucker gets hot for sure after talking for an hour straight on high power.

I'm sold on these types of radios and will buy something similar for the shack, when I get one going!

KB3YPP Rating: 4/5 Apr 30, 2013 16:03 Send this review to a friend
Hit or miss  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I own two of them, and really enjoy having a radio that just works. The first one was purchased locally, and hasn't given me a single issue. The second one was purchased on eBay, and had the crackle during transmit, flickering display, and a noisy pot on the volume. I replaced the screen, added star washers to the screws, and cleaned the volume pot. It works great now. I am using one as a base with a cushcraft arx-2b, and can talk simplex to the other one about 25 miles away with a quarter wave antenna. Audio is okay, no intermodal problems, but the radios are both overly selective when you use pl tones.

N9VO Rating: 4/5 Feb 25, 2013 10:38 Send this review to a friend
Servicable!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Decent serviceable rig. Intermittent prob with the microphone. Mine must be a different model of 2100H than others. Mine is only 55 watts (and confirmed by manual). Others reporting 60 and 65 watt versions. Guess I got short end of the stick. But I have had in mobile operation and it works well.

KI4ABS Rating: 4/5 Feb 25, 2013 03:12 Send this review to a friend
Solid  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just bought one of these used from a local ham for $100 to install in my 97 Jeep Wrangler. It does exactly what I want it do, great from local repeater work. The 65W out is nice when in a "fringe" area. The internal speaker is good (kinda thin as expected), however in my Jeep road noise is pretty loud, so I added an external speaker. Easily programmable. No fan is a plus!

Only two complaints : 1) had to do the ground mod, and #4 star washers aren't easily available from Lowe's/Home Depot, I had to go to a nut and bolt store. Once obtained, mod is simple and effective 2) the mic works fine, but just feels flimsy

All in all, classic Icom quality with a couple very minor exceptions. I would recommend and would buy another.

VE7EA Rating: 4/5 Nov 19, 2011 09:58 Send this review to a friend
Excellent after ground problem mod.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I would otherwise give this radio a 5 rating but I did have to do the small mods to the circuit board holding screws ( http://www.kb2ljj.com/data/icom/ic-2100H.htm ). I think this only applies to early versions of this product. A better result than stated on that mod website is to get some washers that fit the circuit board ground holes better and simply install the washers under the screws. The basic problem was that the main circuit board was not properly grounded to the case and slight crackles on transmit and susceptibility to external interference results.

At any rate, otherwise a very reliable radio and I would NEVER choose a VHF rig that uses a fan rather than an oversized heat sink as the IC-2100H has. They are simply much too noisy for my liking.

PE2KMV Rating: 5/5 Jun 25, 2011 12:06 Send this review to a friend
First TRX, great TRX!  Time owned: more than 12 months
As I've got my license somewhere around 1998-1999, this was the first rig I've bought. Since then it was used stationary for voice and packet. Afterwards it bumped around in my car for several years. Then it was stowed away in a crate on the attic. One year... two years... three years... four years... Until that very day when I went to a HAM event with an old friend. The old Icom was pulled out of it's crate and dusted off (really necessary!!). A temporary power connection via the sigaret lighter was made and an antenna with magnetic mount was put on the roof. When firing up, the set gave it's characteristic *beep-beep*, and we had a lift-off. Even a lot of frequencies of the local emergency services, which aren't used since years, were still in the memory. The set didn't show any evidence of the long term unemployment. So thumbs up for this little great set!

KG4YMC Rating: 2/5 Mar 4, 2011 20:53 Send this review to a friend
good overall, but mic is cheaply made ,  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had one when got Tec.Liscense Programing is a pain, I am glad I am general now and working on hf. Offsets and tones is like communication designed by gov a friend has the programing computer commitie software, only way to go . Mic is flimsey , don't make the mistake of mounting in car near cupholder , if it gets wet mic is a gonner. I had to take mic apart onetime to dry out, worked ok afterwards, but elmer recoments takeing it apart while inside a piloow case , beware parts can go flying . overall was tough little radio , used with mag mount and from bristol , could still hit repeaters in tall , on high power, good radio , but with mic and programing , could onely give it a 3. programing for repeaters is a pain, thats why I prefer hf and simpler older rigs . kg4ymc sorry for typos , keyboard bad .

KD0NFF Rating: 3/5 Mar 4, 2011 18:23 Send this review to a friend
Not great, not horrible  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
My IC-2100 isn't a bad rig, it makes power and it works, but the receive audio is quiet, too quiet for a mobile in my opinion. Also the whole mic is cheap feeling, with a flimsy little clicky switch under the PTT button. I do like the size of the display, but overall I can only give it a 3.

KENLETSON Rating: 4/5 Jul 25, 2010 23:23 Send this review to a friend
Nice Radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I would give it a 4.5 if I could. It is a great LITTLE radio that packs a punch. 60 watts out and compact. Audio is on the high side. Easy to program. Good reports from QSO's. Recomend if you can get it for a reasonable price. Sister to 2200h.