Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | ICOM IC-2100H Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-2100H
ICOM IC-2100H Reviews: 200 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $140
Description: Two meter mobile
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com/amateur/2mmobile/ic2100hmain.asp

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-2100H.

N5HNY Rating: 4/5 Jun 23, 2010 09:36 Send this review to a friend
Good  Time owned: more than 12 months
I would give this great little radio a 5 but i had problems right off the bat. I had the crackle in the speaker. Fixed that with extra screws that were missing. My 2100 developed a glitch where it is slow to show the numerical display and you can't do a reset. You can't overwrite the memories either. It's like my radio is stuck somehow. It will start to operate if you press the lock and call buttons on the mic only. Oh and I can't turn off the fancy little display show. I have searched the internet but can't find a fix for these problems.

K0KS Rating: 4/5 Apr 6, 2010 19:16 Send this review to a friend
The land of compromise ?  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought new 20 yrs ago and it's still working fine. It replaced an IC-25A but is much worse in the "intermod alley" of an urban environment. It does cover all the fire, police and WX for receive which has served me well. Probramming is not user friendly and nearly impossible when mobile..... even sitting still. The backlighting is great for night mobile and you have color choices. It's survived life in 3 vehicle and 2 were off-road. Nice and rugged.

KG4MIQ Rating: 5/5 Nov 15, 2009 22:30 Send this review to a friend
Excellent performer!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Since adding my review several years ago, I have bought three more of these fine rigs with good success on all. The website is still up for those who need info on the "snap, crackle, pop" fix, as well as the "no power output" fix.

WD5NOT Rating: 4/5 Mar 15, 2009 19:28 Send this review to a friend
My first Icom  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I picked up my 2100H at a Hamfest a few weeks ago apparently it had never been used as it was sill in the original packing from ICOM.The only fault that I can find with it is the programming. My Yaesu FT-1802M is much easier to program, but I have that problem solved in the form of the programming software.This is the first Icom that I have ever owned and so far I am pleased with it.Will I keep it YES-- Do I recommend it --YES.

VK2FRO Rating: 5/5 Jun 29, 2008 22:53 Send this review to a friend
A Winner  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I was given this radio by my uncle who had it for a while - it exhibited the TX noise (crackle) which was a 2 minute fix.

Its a solid little radio, and works well off my diamond X200 and 30 A jaytech linear power supply. I can hear most of the repeaters around my area (up to 100km away), and hit most of them on 5 or 20 watts. Only for 2 repeaters do I need to go the full 55W. Naturally this test was carried out with a full call in the house, as 55W is over my 30w limit.

The radio does not suffer from pagers and other interference like a certain other jap radio did. This one is a keeper, its display is easy to read, and without a manual, a few presses on the buttons and I had figured out how to put in repeater callsigns and frequencies on the memories.

If you get one that crackles on TX (it can also be heard on your over), open it up, and loosen then tighten all the screws holding the PC board in place. That 99% of times will fix the problem.

KE6N Rating: 5/5 May 31, 2008 19:28 Send this review to a friend
Nice solid radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had mine for about 9 years. I really like the beefy case that doubles as a heat sink. I really like that there is NO FAN on this model due ot the massive heat sink so if you're operating this radio in a very low noise environment, you don't need to listen to the fan noise. It has all the bells and whistles needed for a very easy to use and versatile radio.

My one complaint for this radio (and the IC-207H I just reviewed) is the cheap microphone. Icom, give the microphone a little "heft" instead of it being a cheapy plastic box. The PTT is pretty cheap, too. Follow Kenwood's lead and put out a quality microphone with your mobile radios.

VK5FDAV Rating: 1/5 Mar 11, 2008 00:37 Send this review to a friend
all dressed up and no place to go  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Well, I owned this rig for about 6 months and at first it was awesome, that is until it started to crackle on TX, apparently this was a common problem with the radio, supposedly fixed by loosening the pcb screws and re-tightening them again. But that didnt work for me althought it may have worked for others. The other bad flaw of the rig was its intermod problem, even on a small antenna not very high up (20foot). Intermod was awefull and was eventually why I sold the rig.
But apart from that the rig looks looks good, nice display, and easy to use. It might be good in a mobile instalation?

dave.

KD5SPJ Rating: 4/5 Feb 15, 2008 11:32 Send this review to a friend
Only one problem  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have had this IC-2100H for a while now and am very happy with ALMOST everything about it. I wrote a review on it but that was before I found that little annoying, possibly unfixable problem. That problem is the alternator noise problem. Everyone I know with one of these has the problem. Some are slightly worse than others, but mine is about standard as far as this problem goes. In my Internet search I found that this is a very common problem and in fact have yet to hear anyone who doesn't have it to some degree. Is there anyone at all out there who has opened the chassis to find a possible fix?

KD5SPJ Rating: 5/5 Jan 15, 2008 20:50 Send this review to a friend
Excellent tough little radio!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought this little gem for a mobile for a very rugged off road vehicle, a diesel Trooper. The Trooper is my hunting vehicle. It is As tough as the truck I installed it in! I have an IC-2800, and love it as well. But I think the little IC-2100H is probably going to outlast the 2800, even though the 2800 is now 5 years old with no problems. I find the 2100 to be very easy to program from the panel or mic, and love the way it sounds. I get compliments on the audio on the "other end" as well. It truely is built like a tank like others have said.

KB2VYZ Rating: 5/5 Nov 16, 2007 16:31 Send this review to a friend
Solid Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
If you are looking for a good solid single band radio, you will not get any better than this. Very easy to program and built very solid (the entire chassis is a heat-sink). The only thing ICOM could have done better would have been to move the antenna connector (SO-239) to the end of the radio instead of between the heat-sinks.

73 de Frank/KB2VYZ