Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | ICOM IC-2100H Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-2100H
ICOM IC-2100H Reviews: 200 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $140
Description: Two meter mobile
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com/amateur/2mmobile/ic2100hmain.asp

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-2100H.

YO3HJV Rating: 5/5 Jul 4, 2007 17:26 Send this review to a friend
Rock!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Solid like rock, great audio reports on air.
Love the remote mic, very useful in mobile environment.
User manual is a little stupid, especially on how to skip scanning memory (if labeled, the instructions doesn't work). Better do this with the programming software!
Not very good o intermod, but better than other radios.
Simple and reliable.
I give a 5 because of price, otherwise, I was tempted to give a 4.

PU2PJT Rating: 5/5 Jun 28, 2007 21:41 Send this review to a friend
In portuguese !  Time owned: more than 12 months
Muito bom rádio, ótima sensibilidade na faixa e fora dela, display grande ( big display ) , gosto da cor verde ( I love green display ) e as funções aparecem no display ( good idea ! ).
Observei que quando estou transmitindo ( TX ) no alto falante ocorre alguns estalos , como já ocorreu nos outros 2 que tive parece que é normal , já vi algumas modificações para sanar esse problema, quem sabe um dia eu faço.
Concluindo : Excelente Rádio , ótima sensibilidade dentro e fora da faixa , várias funções no PTT , etc ....
Pena que não escuta a faixa da Aviação ( Air Band ).
David - PU2PJT
São Vicente - SP - Brasil
GG66TA

KB2SEO Rating: 5/5 Mar 16, 2007 16:49 Send this review to a friend
Kicks Butt and repeaters  Time owned: more than 12 months
Icom had made a great rig here, run one in the Jeep (now that my Crappy FT-100 is craoked...AGAIN) Had one little glitch : the Microphone switch acted up about 3 weeks into ownership. called Icom Customer serive: New Switch, New PTT handle and NO CHARGE!

No one problem since. On a 1/4 wave on the spare tire mount, I can hit anything in North Georgia.

I am a Proud former owner of a 737, now got a 725, and 2 2100's Not a stich of trouble out of any of these radios. the 737 ran all day, all night for YEARS! the 725? got it used from a Ham in canada, it's getting a lot of CW use right now.

If Icom ever wants to show why I like them so much- look at my experience with a 1800 purchace called the FT-100.

ZZ2NSX Rating: 4/5 Jul 9, 2006 18:42 Send this review to a friend
Good radio, bad menu system  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got mine a week ago, it came with the old microphone (model HM-118T)

It´s a good radio, good audio, good RF power. Great chassis allows a perfect cooling system.

But the menu system is too bad, Yaesu and even the TM-261 (Kenwood) are much easier. To change the tone, you should press "Set" keys several times...

I´m considering purchase the microphone HM-133S, which can control most of the features of the radio.

K5THR Rating: 5/5 Jul 9, 2006 14:46 Send this review to a friend
One Of The Best 2 Meters Out There!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just made my purchase of a pre owned in new condition IC-2100H, I literally didnt even need a manual to figure out how to work it, It's that easy! Great sounding audio, and Great power output! Nice features!

73 DE' K5THR

VE6XL Rating: 2/5 Jul 8, 2006 23:52 Send this review to a friend
OK Radio with some design flaws...  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Similar to others, my IC-2100H developed the microphonic/crackle sound on transmit.

I noticed the existing screws were tight, however there were two screws missing on one side of the PCB. I later found out these are not added during the manufacturing process.

This is a poor design considering this is a mobile rig and would likely be exposed to moderate vibration.

With the assistance of my friends on 146.520 MHz I made some repairs to resolve the issue.

The knobs on the front panel do not sit very tight/snug in the front panel. The logic on the radio is good, memories are easily accessed and controls on the microphone are useful.

The Kenwood TM-271A may be a slightly better choice in the same price range. I have pictures of the PCB on my website:

www.ve6xl.ca

AI4EP Rating: 5/5 Apr 2, 2006 18:17 Send this review to a friend
EASY to use / program  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought it used , complete with all but the box .It already had most of the local repeaters programmed, but I had to change a few. I had initial problems using the DTMF function, but figured that out FAST. I am NOT all that thrilled with all these buttons on the microphone ( used to the 0 - 9 buttons, abcd and PTT button and up.down corner buttons ), but I do not guess there is much that can be done about that. RX is great, finally see a radio that does NOT give a s-9+60 reading to every repeater it can access, that on this unit it DOES vary !! I use an external speaker with all my rigs.

TRANSMIT is great, usually 5 watts accesses all the repeaters I talk on anyway, apparently great audio.

PRO ---
small size
easy to program
green / amber color on display WITH DIMMER
squelch knob (year 2006 )
time - out - timer
CON ---
too many buttons on supplied mike ( should provide one also that is just a plain microphone and NO buttons besides PTT )
modular mike plug -- prefer 8 pin old style.

So, in spite or mike situation, I like the rig.I would recommend it to any one, whether new or an old-timer.

AI4EP (Robert)

N4SQH Rating: 4/5 Mar 13, 2006 06:52 Send this review to a friend
Only minor problems  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a simple to operate radio with good power output (50+ watts), and a good receiver (advertised as intermod proof and works pretty well).

It has demonstrated only minor problems so far. The PTT button on the mic failed after about 6 months - It's a poor design. Now after two years, the mic is failing again with noise in the transmit audio.

KI4IDB Rating: 5/5 Dec 28, 2005 00:59 Send this review to a friend
Great 2 meter rig!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I currently operate two of these great radios. I started out with one in my work vehicle and then placed one in my pick up truck.

The radio is easy to use and is packed full of power.

I purchased the first one 1 1/2 years ago for $149.oo and then purchased the second one used for under $100.

Hope you have as much luck with yours as I have had with mine!

N8AME Rating: 5/5 Nov 22, 2005 07:05 Send this review to a friend
Good Mobil Rig  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought this rig brand new from a dealer about 1 year ago and have used it mobile ever since. I have been happy with the operation and rock-solid durability of the rig. Works great and gives a good clean signal. My only complaint is with the programing. Seems I have to go to the manual a lot as I can't remember how to do certain functions. Could be me, but I think programing could have been made less confusing. It's great to have that kind of memory for storing frequencies and alpha-numerical is handy too. My microphone works great and have had no problem with it whatsoever. It's very nice to be able to control everything from the microphone(except turning rig on and off!) I use 5 watts most of the time. Rig tends to heat up if I use 50 watt setting for what seems to me a small amount of time. If I need to get in, I use the 10 watt setting. All in all, I'm very happy with this rig and would recomend it to anyone that wants to go mobile on two meters