Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Alinco DX-70TD Help

Reviews Summary for Alinco DX-70TD
Alinco DX-70TD Reviews: 30 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $750
Description: HF + 6 Meter All Mode Transceiver

You can write your own review of the Alinco DX-70TD.

WZ3O Rating: 4/5 Jul 18, 2013 20:41 Send this review to a friend
A gem in the rough..  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just, within the last week or so, got a decent shape one. In it's day it would've been a 5. Simple, nice features, most if not all major functions are on the face plate, no digging thru menus after initial setup. Good receive, a bit noisy but with the narrow filter and IF shift you can quiet it down, the most impressive thing to me so far is decent rejection,getting good audio 5-6, 5-9 or more on occasion.

One last thought it does require adequate clean power!!!
Some quirks, taking the cover off to adjust to 50 watts and the mic gain. Squelch v/s rf gain ... need duplexer if you want 1 antenna 6-160......

So it hears pretty well, gets out well and the cost was very reasonable.

Bought it as backup/Field Day rig, but if need be I can use it as my main squeeze ....

DH4SC Rating: 5/5 Oct 11, 2011 12:01 Send this review to a friend
Perfect Rig!!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought my DX-70 new some Time ago. One of the last ones sold in DL.
For me it is the best rig ever. I use it at home and portable. I own some other rigs like Kenwood TS-140 and TS-450, Icom IC-718, IC-730 and an old FT-101ZD Mark3. When I compare the DX-70 with the other rigs there is no difference in RX/TX. TX audio is great with my homebrew electret desk mic. Loud, punchy with bottom and sweet higher frequencies. The DX-70 sounds as good as the TS-450.

The DX-70 is definitely better than the Icom IC-706 that I owned for some months but itīs bad receiver and the bad menu that you have to use permanently kickt the Icom out of my shack.

Playing around with the DX-70 is easy, I like the narrow filters, the PBT and the receiver does not need a DSP. Receiver is very quiet but has a great sensitivity and selectivity. Very smooth and warm output audio.
My DX-70 has more output than the rated 100W, 115-125W on my 230ft. loop with feederline and balanced coupler.

Thatīs the bright side of the rig, but thereīs a dark one too ;-)

My radio had a bad diode on one of the RX band passes so receive on one frequency range was dead - no problem to fix this but was quite annoying.
The multifunction pod can quit working but it is no problem to get spare parts from Alinco and the pod is easy to replace (mine still works fine).

This is another very positive thing about Alinco - you can get almost every part for every rig that was ever sold. Even after a long time. Our german distributor sells all parts of the DX-70: boards, diodes, transistors, relays, pods, knobs, parts of the case, displays, display shields...whatever

Well done Alinco!!!!

WO8L Rating: 5/5 Oct 4, 2010 15:09 Send this review to a friend
Help, Great Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
After 15 years, my Alinco DX 70T is having problems.

Any advice on where to get it fixed?

It shuts down with both a 12 volt battery and with a well regulated AC power supply.

Love the rig. So many years of mobile service.

73s,

Rick
WO8L

KA2SSX Rating: 5/5 Jul 25, 2010 12:41 Send this review to a friend
PRETTY GOOD+SIMPLE  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I feel this is a pretty solid radio, plus pretty easy to operate. I had it in the shack first, as a test drive, then moved it out to the pickup. The noise blanker did a pretty noticeable job in my case. I use a shortened 40m Hamstick, and the receive seems pretty hot. On the negative side, I would like it if the power output was fully adjustable from about 5w to 100 watts, and the half-power slide switch was on the rear panel instead of being internal. Overall, not a bad radio for the price.

NY4D Rating: 5/5 Jul 25, 2010 08:48 Send this review to a friend
Great For What It Is  Time owned: more than 12 months
Let's not forget this is a mid 1990's radio. So to make it comparable an add-on dsp or dsp speaker like the bhi or clear speech really helps.

The thing I like about it most is that it is simple, reliable, and sounds good, both on receive and transmit. It is really easy to use by feel if you are mobile or portable in the dark.

The few cons are well discussed here, and in the dx-70th reviews. The front panel you might as well just plan to leave on, IMO. The NB works on some noise, but really many other rigs NBs I have found to be ineffective. Add a good quality dsp to fix that.

Some things I really like: the mic pinouts are the same as Kenwood 8 pins, the companion edx-2 tuner is top-rate, the receive audio is good, the tx imd is better than many more recent rigs whether base or mobile, it is plenty hot on receive and has less internal noise than many of the newer swiss army knife radios, it runs cool, and the menu is so simple - it really is just one alternate use of some of the front panel buttons.

I've been through every version of the 706, and the 857 and 897, and all of them have gone but the dx-70t remains. I don't really need vhf/uhf in a rig, so the DX-70 works for me. You can pick one of these up for around $350 nowadays. And for that it is a real bargain.

I give it a 5 rating based on what it is and what else can be had for the money.

KB7UXE Rating: 4/5 Jul 29, 2008 09:04 Send this review to a friend
dx-70 good rig, but.....  Time owned: more than 12 months
I currently have 4 of these, I use them for fast deployment of a fire dept comunications support group. I have had 2 more, total of 6.( also have dx77) But, 2 have failed, both same thing, 5 amps draw in rec, back gets very hot, and transmit only 50 watts( when in 100 watt mode)
Apperently something ( final?) shorts out.. I have sent them both in for repair, and have been fixed.
Other than that, They do seem to be a very good radio, simple to operate. I prefer the dx-70 over the ic-706 any day, because the ic-706 is soo very complicated to operate, make changes etc. if it's not in memory, it aint gonna happen. I mostly operatae CW and quick changes on the fly are not going to happen with the 706, But with the dx-70 adjustments on the fly are quick and easy. works great. fairly reliable. only option I would add is a varible power out.
so, for simplicity to operate, the dx-70 has it. But due to 2 out of 6 failures, I can't rate this a full 5.
I wish I had several more of these rigs.
When given the chance to buy one, if the price is right, you can't go wrong.

Good luck and Happy dx.
Dan. kb7uxe
p.s. if anyone has one of these you want to sell, let me know.

SP6SOP Rating: 3/5 Jun 23, 2008 11:30 Send this review to a friend
Enough for beginers  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got it for a while and I have the same problem with low power and no power on some bands.
Could someone provide solution how to fix it or service is the only way?

OK1IN Rating: 3/5 May 11, 2008 12:12 Send this review to a friend
Still have idea - it's good TRX for me...  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I buy this rig from another ham, with remarks - have problem vith PA. Like Tom, W0EAJ, now I have same problem - low power and bad sensitivity on higher SW bands. On first look is TRX in good condition, 6m band work fine, on 80m is power full 100W, but on another bands up to 10m is PWR max 10W. Tom, many TNX for tip and navigation, where i need look for mistake :-)
After repair this rig i send here more details for another HAMs with same problem...

W0EAJ Rating: 2/5 May 7, 2008 13:27 Send this review to a friend
Fair  Time owned: more than 12 months
Like many others, this one had bad diodes on the filter board. They are a KNOWN weak link. In addition, there is a surface-mount choke (acts like a fuse) that goes as well. Symptoms MAY include very poor sensitivity on HF + very low xmt. pwr (1w or so). 6m will be fine - different parts of the filter board are used for HF and 6m, thus the symptom. Burhardt fixed it for $170 (my shipping was $18). Overall, I'd rate it a poor cousin to the ICOM IC-706 (any variety), but it has a couple of features that are handy... an RF gain control (instead of the stepped attenuator) would be much better. Programming has some annoying quirks to it, as well. VERY POOR DESIGN is the removable front panel - hasn't ALINCO figured out how to use a multi-pin connector yet?

Z35M Rating: 4/5 Jan 10, 2008 03:51 Send this review to a friend
Alternatives for better CW filtering?  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I own DX-70T less than one year. The unit works without any problems. For my operating style the CW filtering claimed for 500Hz is poor.
Does someone know the possibilities for improvement of the CW filter inside the radio. External boxes with audio filters are not option for me, because of the portability reasons.
I rate this radio with 4 only for reason of poor CW filtering and lack of interal electronic morse keyer. Also, the front panel can be made more beautiful.