Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Alinco DX-70TD Help

Reviews Summary for Alinco DX-70TD
Alinco DX-70TD Reviews: 30 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $750
Description: HF + 6 Meter All Mode Transceiver

You can write your own review of the Alinco DX-70TD.

W0SWR Rating: 5/5 Apr 29, 2007 20:57 Send this review to a friend
would have given it a 4 if I paid more.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I was looking for a small used radio for my RV. I use 20 and 40 meter on the road and wanted something light and easy to use. I found my DX-70 for 125.00 and I use it often on the road. I get decent reports and it receives pretty well. I use a amp with it at times without any problems and have used it in CW when camping. I have never used FM or AM, or 6 mtrs. so can't report on that. Yes it could have been built better and it could have had more buttons etc., but it could have cost more also. I gave it a 5 because for 125.00 it is a very good radio, but for the retail price I would be hard pressed to give it more than a 4.

KC7GNM Rating: 4/5 Mar 5, 2007 09:00 Send this review to a friend
Good for a second hand radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought this radio (DX-70) at a hamfest for $240 as part of an estate sale. There was no power out on several of the bands and only about 10 watts out on 40m. I sent the redio to be repaired and payed $98 including shipping. Since then this radio has performed great. The reason I give it a 4 is because I have read a lot about the filter failure on these rigs and that is what was wrong with mine. For $338 I have a darn good radio now.

KC9IKS Rating: 5/5 Jan 14, 2007 18:39 Send this review to a friend
Excellent, no-frills radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
My Alinco DX-70T is my first (and still only) HF radio, a used unit paid for with "sweat equity" earned by helping a friend with a project. So I cannot compare it to other radios I have owned except to say that I had the use of a Ten-Tec 538 Jupiter for a while and did a direct comparison of the receiver sections of the Jupiter and the Alinco by means of switching the same antenna back and forth between the two radios. I was surprised to discover that there was nothing that the Jupiter could hear that I could not also hear on the Alinco.

Alinco cured the one glaring insufficiency of the DX-70T with the TH model (100 watts on 6 meters instead of 10). That being said, I have worked 6 meter band openings very effectively with my 10 watts! Outside of that, my only negative comment is the size of the connector cable for remoting the faceplate. With no amp and using only modest antennas, I get consistent good signal and audio reports using the stock mike and even better ones with the Alinco desk mike that I recently acquired. The controls and operation are easy to learn, and they seem to give you just what you need to operate effectively. You just turn it on and it works. Alinco either got lucky or put a lot of thought into this one.

I have used my unit mobile and, using the noise blanker, did not get any remarks from other parties about ignition noise - that in a Ford van, which has a reputation for being "noisy".

For a first radio, an inexpensive mobile radio, or a backup rig, you couldn't make a better choice.

M1MBZ Rating: 5/5 Jun 28, 2006 14:13 Send this review to a friend
Great radio, beats some of the competition  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned and used my DX70TH since 2000, the first thing I have to say is that it has an excellent receiver (but not for FM) and the standard filters are adequate for most uses.

I have been using mine almost exclusively on six metres and it works well in contests and crowded bands, it can handle signals that rivals like the yaesu ft857 needs expensive add on filters to do ( the ft857 is very hard to use in contest) , it's a simple radio to use, a limited selection of essential functions rather than endless menus, are immediately available from the front panel, other options like speech processor, display brightness, CW options, are available at the touch of only a couple of buttons.

I would recommend this radio to anyone looking for a basic HF radio that also covers six metres, and for anyone wanting a competent six metre band tranceiver.

There are some criticisms but these are so small as to make them almost insignificant, they are the well known noise blanker issue, and FM reception and transmission leave a bit to be desired. There is no narrow FM filter/mode, which makes the receiver much less able to deal with crowded band/weak FM signals on a band like 10 metres, but then many HF radios are guilty of having the fm option made much too wide to be useful.

N5GLR Rating: 4/5 Dec 5, 2003 15:30 Send this review to a friend
Very Good Mobile Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my DX70TD when RS was closing them out early last year. I mounted it as a mobile right away but, had the common "cooling fan causing warble on xmit" problem. I sent in for warranty work and had it back about 10 days later and the problem was gone.
I'm told by others that my mic is picking up a lot of road noise at times. It appears to be an intermittent problem that's hard to pin-down. Most of the time I get excellent audio reports.
The DX70TD is a simple, easy to use rig with few menus (i.e. distractions). The menus are easy to access and use (not very distracting) when mobile. The SSB filter is just a bit narrow but, it is effective. The noise blanker is very effective but, distorts the receive audio on 20 meters ... due to computer/electrical noise I have yet to find and eliminate (it's not the fuel pump). On other bands the NB works great and the audio is clear.
It has fewer features than other radios but, simplicity of operation while mobile is a high priority for me. I have no regrets.

Garry
N5GLR

KD0DB Rating: 3/5 Nov 4, 2003 19:57 Send this review to a friend
Worked well for awhile  Time owned: more than 12 months
Alinco DX70-T
When I first got the radio it had a problem with overheating and I sent it back. They replaced it under warranty. Now about 4 years later it just overheated to the point that it burned out the transmitter amplifier, AND IT WASN'T EVEN TURNED ON!!I had been using it and it was working fine. Turned it off (but left the power supply on) and was elsewhere in the shack when I smelled it cooking. I couldn't touch the back of the radio and power wires were about to melt. Now, although the transmit light comes on when you key the mike it has no RF power. I am going to send it to Alinco and get it fixed. But I bought an IC718 to take it's place anyway. If it works well in the future it'll be a good radio on the sailboat.

LU5AIM Rating: 4/5 Oct 15, 2003 08:07 Send this review to a friend
Good rtx  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have one, I bought it 1 year ago.
I'm satisfied with it.
It has narrow filter for ssb and cw like serie.
The receiver is hot and very good.
I think that NB is not good, this is a problem when I use it in my car like mobile rig.
In six meters band work great, but when I use it in my shack or like portable isn't a problem.
It has four levels of power, 100, 50, 10 and 5 W
like QRP is fun!
Tks! Max LU5AIM/EA7

KD7EFQ Rating: 4/5 Oct 4, 2003 16:51 Send this review to a friend
Good 2nd hand rig  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I own 2 of these that I bought 2nd hand in like new condition for $400 ea. 1 developed an audio chip failure 24 hrs after I bought it, but KK7TV repaired it and actually used a higher output chip. Im putting it mobile as I won't have to strain to hear it above the road noise. With Icom 706's and FT-100's at the same price, I wouldn't give what they want for this radio new, as the others offer so much more. But if you can find one used for $300-400 that is in good shape, Their worth it. 73. T

LY2TA Rating: 2/5 Jul 2, 2003 13:38 Send this review to a friend
DX-70  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got my in 1997. Good radio, but why no CW keyer inside???

N0MKJ Rating: 2/5 Apr 29, 2003 09:05 Send this review to a friend
Great until you need service  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is a great radio till you need service. The service dept. is quick but they don't have the parts to fix things. It doesn't look like they can even get them.

This is the last rig I buy from alinco.