Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Alinco DX-70TD Help

Reviews Summary for Alinco DX-70TD
Alinco DX-70TD Reviews: 31 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $750
Description: HF + 6 Meter All Mode Transceiver

You can write your own review of the Alinco DX-70TD.

N0MKJ Rating: 2/5 Apr 29, 2003 09:05 Send this review to a friend
Great until you need service  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is a great radio till you need service. The service dept. is quick but they don't have the parts to fix things. It doesn't look like they can even get them.

This is the last rig I buy from alinco.

N5VWN Rating: 5/5 Jan 29, 2003 19:07 Send this review to a friend
Very rugged radio the past many years!  Time owned: more than 12 months
When did these things come on the market? 95? 96? Well whenever they came out, that's when I bought it. I got it to use as a maritime mobile. Great CW machine and good SSB reports. Pretty easy to use. Nothing is perfect and I didn't get much out of the NB. I can tell it's there but I've never had much luck with noise blankers anyways.
Electrical noise everywhere these days. I wish it had an internal keyer. Minor really but I'm on my 2nd MFJ keyer. In a marine enviroment, this rig has been wonderfull for years. I'm glad it's idiot proof too, as I've keyed up a few time over the years with nothing plugged into the back or the wrong antenna. Man, I've had this radio forever and it's never missed a beat. Has a great reciever and sounds as good as any other BIG radio I've listen too. So my rig is 6 to 8 years old or something like that. (going a bit off topic now)I told myself this would be my last little radio as I wanted to get a big pretty one like that Icom 756pro-II next time. But then I got married. Then I got the "qrp while at work bug" and being a sneaky ham. Now I'm using my old HW-8 while I wait for my tiny ft-817 I just now ordered. No lie! (going back on topic now) So I still have my alinco DX70T it's by my bed. I let the soft sounds of a cw pile up put me to sleep. I still have to unplug my tv at night because it puts out rf pulses that the noise blanker can't take out. But is that the radio's fault or the t.v.'s? And no, chokes didn't work. This is a good honest rig. I got a good one. I've read lots of reports from lots of brands and there is always a lemon from every company. My advice is find something that appeals to you and buy it. We are all just appliance operators now anyways. I just wimped out from building a K-1. And it doesn't make mounds and mounds of cole slaw like the ft-817. hi hi Sri about the ramble, that's just me.

AD5EM Rating: 5/5 Jan 4, 2003 12:34 Send this review to a friend
DX-70T Great Radio for the money  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I wanted to put an hf mobile in my truck, but it sits outside, so I didn't want to put a $1000 radio under the dash. I bought my Alinco from a Radio Shack employee who had bought it for his son, but his son never upgraded to general. I put in on my base, to get familiar with operation and it stayed there for 9 months! Yeah, I liked it more than I ever thought I would. Easy to use, good signal/audio reports, pretty hot receiver and it's cheap. I've heard folks express concern over getting them fixed, but everybody I've talked to that has one, has not had any trouble with it, time will tell.

K1TWH Rating: 4/5 Dec 15, 2002 20:18 Send this review to a friend
Great on a budget  Time owned: more than 12 months
Receiver: The Alinco staff had to do allot of analysis to achieve the level of performance and simplicity offered by this model radio. The AM filter doubles as the FM selectivity filter. This means itís broad for AM SWL use, but OK on a clear short-wave channel, while doing a good job on FM. In the AM mode, the SSB filter can be switched in to help with extreme interference (while loosing considerable fidelity). Again, given the price of the radio, good value engineering. The CW ceramic filter is 1KHz wide, which is less than perfect on a crowded band, but at the time the DX-70 was designed, there werenít inexpensive alternatives. This 455 kHz CW filter is augmented by well designed CW audio filter, which has the effect of narrowing the CW bandwidth to about 500 Hz but canít keep stations from activating the AGC if within the bandwidth of the 1 kHz filter. Since this very same 1 kHz ceramic filter can perform the function of a narrow SSB filter, again Alinco made a rational compromise (I would estimate that about 4 out of 5 voices can still be understood with this narrow a filter). The SSB ceramic filter is the exact same filter found in the Icom IC-718 and the Yaesu FT-817. (Isnít it interesting how this Murata CFJ455K5 is always a topic of discussion in the FT-817/847 but everyone loves it in the IC-718?) These filters have about the same shape factor as a 6 element crystal filter, so while not perfect, they do a very credible job while only costing the manufacturer less than $20. The receiverís fast and slow AGC are excellent. The RF front-end is on a par with radios at and just above the DX-70 in price. Iíve not heard front-end overload here on the east coast on 40M at night (preamp off) and up on 6M it seems very sensitive. The built in speaker faces up, takes no front panel space, and is very good as built in speakers go. The noise blanker is poor, but by mis-aligning the noise blanker IF coupling transformers, it can be tamed into being a little more useful.
Common circuits; The PLL synthesizer has 25 Hz steps, which is about the largest tolerable step when tuning in SSB for natural sounding voice. The PLL is very stable, about 10-15 Hz warm-up from a cold start, and little or no measurable drift thereafter. Iíve not noticed any spurs in any Ham or SWL ranges. The tuning knob is weighted , and quite smooth, with an adjustable drag mechanism for mobile or high vibration environments. The Tx/Rx relay is somewhat noisy, and Iíd recommend using headsets when operating QSK CW. The control layout is very easy to use (but buttons should have been backlighted for mobile use).
Transmitter; The QSK is very good. The Tx/Rx relay is noisy, but functional. Cooling fan noise is audible not objectionable until the fan hits high speed (not often, usually after 5-10 minutes key-down on PSK31/RTTY). Audio reports are good on SSB with and without the audio processor. The supplied hand-mic goes a long way in making the audio sound so good. Stock power settings are 100W/10W on HF & 10W/1W on 6M. If you adjust the internal 100W set-up pot for 50W on high , then low power will be 5W (for QRP use). (6M is then 5W high/.5W low.)

WQ5MM Rating: 5/5 Nov 11, 2002 21:09 Send this review to a friend
Great radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Bought the DX70T at Ham/Comm this past June in
Arlington,Tx. It's in my Dodge P/U and does very
well. Easy to learn, lots of memories, up and
down mic to change freq, with external speaker
I enjoy all my roadtime hf mobile. Have used it
in the house with my sec 1223 ps, into a MFJ969
tuner and G5RV, worked FB. 73's WQ5MM

AD6KB Rating: 4/5 Oct 9, 2002 06:39 Send this review to a friend
FINE RADIO  Time owned: more than 12 months
For a bare bones mobile HF rig it does a great job. Terrific front end on rcvr is the quietist I've heard. Consistantly good reports on SSB for signal quality.

Pickyness: that cable connecting the control head to the main box is HUGE and kind of ungainly. But it sure is tough; controls are sluggish when the unit is cold, I use mine in my pickup and on 40 degree mornings, the frequency just does not like to change using the main dial.

Recently had to send unit to repair shop as it had received a Dodge Ram alignment of the recevier. I guess due to vibration. Easily fixed but annoying.

KE3HO Rating: 4/5 Aug 2, 2002 10:26 Send this review to a friend
Good rig if price is right  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I agree with the other reviewers regarding this rig. There are, however, a few things that I don't like about the rig that keep me from giving it a 5.

1. "Narrow" SSB filter is too narrow - 1kHz is too tight. I figured I would just order a MuRata filter of about 1.9kHz width and change it, but none is available. Alinco used the two choices - 2.4kHz and 1.0kHz. 2.4kHz is OK under normal conditions, but something around 1.9kHz would be nice for noisy/crowded band conditions.

2. No VOX. VOX is nice in general, but should be standard in any rig intended for mobile operation.

3. Mobile mounting bracket - I was annoyed to discover that the T and TD do not come with the mobile bracket like the TH does. This is another $30 if you want to use it mobile if you bought the T or TD version. I don't really hold this against them, though, as most rigs do not come with a mobile bracket.

I addition, I have heard stories about the lousy noise blanker. I have been impressed with the NB in my unit. It takes out ignition noise very well with almost no distortion of the audio. I can't complain. Maybe Alinco made a change along the way?

The T and TD versions can be found on the used market at very good prices. The TH version can be found for a bit more. It is a good rig if the price is right.

KI6JD Rating: 5/5 Jun 27, 2002 20:37 Send this review to a friend
DX 70T GREAT RIG  Time owned: more than 12 months
When Radio Shack offered these at a discount I was skepticle.. I had never owned an Alinco radio of any kind.. I wanted a small HF rig in the worse way, so I bought one.. Big Surprise!!!.. I have had this radio for about three years now and have loved every minute of using it.. First thing I did out of the box, after reading the instructions of course, was to remove the cover and flip the little switch to reduce the output to 50 watts. I have a new truck and did not want the RF to kill the computer or interfere with the fuel injection and timing. I origionally used a set of Hustler antennas, but recently I bought a Screwdriver antenna and love it too. I can honestly say with that set up..If I can hear them I can work them.. I have worked many DX contacts in the mobile.. I have worked Europe one station right after another until I got tired.. I never did that with the Hustler.. I have often been asked what kind of amplifier I am using in the mobile.. One fellow in Georgia virtually called me a "LIAR" when I told him I was running about 25 watts PEP.. Another fellow in Hayward across the bay from me yelled at me for running a LINEAR.. I called him back and asked what part of the 25 watts I was running made him so upset.. He said his needle was pegged .. It probably upset him more when I just laughed..and laughed.. Well, the bottom line is.. It is a very good radio.. Great reciever and lots of un-solicited good comments on the audio and signals.. I use it in the back yard occasionally with a G5RV inverted V a tuner and a deep cycle battery and I have worked tons of DX including Israel, on 15 meters running my 25 watts this way.. Did that surprise me.. Nope.. I have come to expect it.. People that have experianced issues with the noise blanker.. I don't know what to say.. It has never been an issue with my rig. First contacts on 6 meters was with the Alinco.. It worked FB! Now looking back, buying the DX-70 T was the best money I have ever spent on Ham related products.. James Ki6jd..

K9VKG Rating: 5/5 Jun 27, 2002 18:55 Send this review to a friend
100W HF + 6M  Time owned: more than 12 months
What can I see....It's an excellent radio!!! I Love mine! Everything Mark Says is 100% true.

K4JSR Rating: 5/5 May 22, 2002 18:26 Send this review to a friend
5/5 Great little rig!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
My story almost duplicates Mark's review.
I agree fully with what he said about his.
I got mine the same way. I am fully satisfied.
The radio is easy to operate and gets excellent
signal reports on all bands. I LOVE MY LITTLE