Reviews Categories | Towers, masts, accessories, climbing gear | Universal 5- 50 aluminum tower Help

Reviews Summary for Universal 5- 50 aluminum tower
Universal 5- 50 aluminum tower Reviews: 7 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $869.00+base@ $109.00
Description: 50' aluminum tower

You can write your own review of the Universal 5- 50 aluminum tower.

KR4ZI Rating: 5/5 Mar 1, 2008 15:32 Send this review to a friend
7-50 QUALITY/VALUE  Time owned: more than 12 months
I HAVE A 7-50 UP FOR 3 YEARS NOW AND NO PROBLEMS.
MY CUS 13B2 IS AT THE END OF A 10' MAST AND A
HYGAIN TH3-MK4 IS UNDER IT.I HAVE 2 FLANGE BEARINGS AND THE MAST EXTENDS TO THE BOTTOM OF THE TOWER AND ATTACHED TO A ALLIANCE HD-73 ROTOR.
THEY ARE A COUPLE OF CABLES ATTACHED TO THE TOP
OF THE TOWER TO PULL UP MY INVERTED VEE'S. MY
2 DAUGHTERS AND I WALKED THE TOWER UP WITH EASE.
I'D NEVER HAVE BELIEVED A 120 LB TOWER WOULD BE
SO STRONG.I'D GLADLY BUY ANOTHER.

VE3FN Rating: 5/5 Feb 15, 2008 08:24 Send this review to a friend
Well constructed  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had installed the 9-50 model more than a year ago. I was impressed by the fact that, in comparison with a steel tower, aluminum will never be discoloured by rust and it is so much lighter. I also found its cross-section to be less obtrusive (from a visual perspective) than that of most steel towers, so I believe it is more "neighbour friendly". The factory reps were most helpful during the purchase. I had little difficulty shipping it by truck across the border for a reasonable cost.

I discovered that the top section (11") was too small for my TailTwister rotator (I don't believe a HamIV would fit either), so I had to mount it at the top of the section below (14"). It's a good thing I ordered a long mast!

We had insufficient space to assemble the entire tower on the ground, so we assembled the bottom 3 sections and raised them to a vertical position before installing the remaining 2 sections. I believe it would have been most difficult to "walk up" the entire 50 foot tower with antennas installed (as recommended by the installation instructions) if we had been able to assemble it all on the ground. Aluminum is less stiff than steel and we had to install temporary rope guys when working on the top because the tower would sway too much without them.

I recommend that anyone considering this tower order it with a 14" top section as it costs very little more than the 11" section. The 14" top should be more rigid (than the 11" top) and it is large enough to permit the installation of a rotator. Of course, the section below would have to be 14" straight instead of 14" taper. I would also recommend ordering stainless steel nuts and bolts -- I purchased then locally.

There is no grounding kit available from Universal, so you will have to provide your own.

Ray Perrin VE3FN

AGIT8OR Rating: 4/5 Jun 12, 2007 12:35 Send this review to a friend
9-60 nice tower!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I went with the 9-60 model. On it, I have a remote coax switch box, 6m5x beam, 2m12 beam, and 2.4Ghz whip. These are on a 12 foot 2 inch mast, which has 6 feet below the thrust bearing plate into a Yaesu 450 rotor.

Pros:
Lightweight
Price is right
Tilt-up works well
Cons:
Thrust bearing plate won't take a Yaesu thrust bearing, but is pre-drilled for the one that Universal sells.
Takes a little wiggling to get the sections to line up.
The 450G rotor will *barely* fit - there's only a small range of locations where it won't hit the Z-bracing.

As others have noted, you won't be walking this one up - I called the mfg, and they agreed - I used (at their suggestion) a web strap around each leg at 28 feet up, along with a cable and snatch block. Using my backhoe, it went up in a flash... also, have an alignment punch handy to get the bolt holes lined up in the third leg when you tilt it up.

All in all, I'm happy with it. Seems rock solid!

K0JW Rating: 5/5 May 9, 2006 17:48 Send this review to a friend
Great engineering!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have the 9-40 tower, 9 square foot rating at 40 feet. The tower has a superb tilt base and I used a bit more concrete for the base than required since it is free standing. I have a 3 element Steppir with a steel mast and a Ham 4 rotor. Forget about "walking it up" with this on top however. Since my tower is in the backyard and it is at a lower elevation than my driveway, I had a tow truck winch the tower up, worked great. I climbed it to unhook the cable and it is very sturdy. The Ham 4 rotor was a tight fit though, it could be a bit difficult removing it while the tower is up, the sections taper as you go higher and the top section is somewhat narrow for the rotor. The whole tower weighs only about 100 lbs, so for us older hams it has ease of handling. I am very pleased with it.

KR4K Rating: 4/5 Dec 16, 2005 04:26 Send this review to a friend
Good value  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have 9-50. Construction is excellent. Base was easy to install. Assembly was moderate, needing to align the sections slightly using push & pull. Tower went up with two guys walking it up on one side and one guy with block and tackle on other side.
Have 8' aluminum mast on top. Antennas include Diamond V-2000A on top of mast at 65', M2 2m stacked loops on mast between V-200A and top of tower, and M2 6m loops at 45' and 33' using aluminum standoffs. Replaced all hardware with marine stainless.
Recommend Universal for anyone with simple antenna array. Cost for quality is excellent. Might be difficult to walk up a heavier array and rotator.

K5XS Rating: 5/5 Jul 31, 2004 19:00 Send this review to a friend
Great!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I started with a 9-30 (9 sq. feet of wind loading, 30 feet high), "grew" it to a 9-40, and am about to make it a 9-60. That's a nice feature of the Universal line; the sections are addable. I have dragged this thing around through several moves in the military and it has held up very well. Easy to put up.

KE4HBE Rating: 5/5 Mar 17, 2002 16:43 Send this review to a friend
easy install- nice price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Great tower for the money, very easy installation,went together without any problems I like the fold- over design, very easy to walk up tower to the upright position. Will see how it withstands the summer Georgia thunderstorms, sure it will do fine, looks quality constructed.