Reviews Categories | DC Power Supply Distribution Panels | West Mountain Radio RIGrunner 4012 Help

Reviews Summary for West Mountain Radio RIGrunner 4012
West Mountain Radio RIGrunner 4012 Reviews: 8 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $109.95
Description: A RIGrunner is the most convenient and safest way to connect all of your 12 volt equipment to a power source. It is a 13.8 VDC power panel that uses the excellent Anderson PowerPole connectors. Standardize all of your 12 VDC connections using the amateur radio ARES & RACES PowerPole system.
More info: http://www.westmountainradio.com/RIGrunner.htm

You can write your own review of the West Mountain Radio RIGrunner 4012.

K9RJ Rating: 5/5 Jun 2, 2013 18:32 Send this review to a friend
Rock Solid  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have been using this one for about 5 years. No issues.

K4GST Rating: 5/5 Jan 9, 2009 07:23 Send this review to a friend
Great station power distributor  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the 4012-C version which comes with a dozen PP connectors and a 10GA supply cord. Seems to be a well-built piece of equipment that should last many, many years.

KB9YUR Rating: 5/5 Jan 14, 2003 19:00 Send this review to a friend
Great!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've now had the 4012 unit for a week and it's
been working great. Highly recommended.
George ...

W3FJ Rating: 4/5 Jan 13, 2003 21:49 Send this review to a friend
Great Product...but  Time owned: more than 12 months
I agree with all the other respondents, but think one great improvement would be the addition of a master off/on switch. I run a ClearSpeach Speaker in my mobile installation and certain times the car will sit for an extended period of time. During that time the speaker is always on and could drain the battery. A simple switch would be a nice additional feature and shouldn't increase the cost of the product that much. They could always offer the switch as an option, just as they have offered various size Rigrunners now.

KQ9L Rating: 5/5 Jan 13, 2003 20:41 Send this review to a friend
Great Product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well I needed a new power distribution strip for my rigs and this caught my eye. It was a little pricey, but I figured that it was worth it for the added security of knowing that the connections won't come lose and short out the supply. I can report that the product works great and has the added benefit of RF suppression on each connection. I did not realize what garbage was getting into my rigs until I dumped the old MFJ and plugged in the rigrunner. I'm not sure if it has to do with the more secure connections, but I'm a happy camper.

Rich
KQ9L

KF4FAJ Rating: 5/5 Dec 23, 2002 23:50 Send this review to a friend
highly recommend  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Have had the 4012 for a while now and it works great. I presently use it to power only my amps, up to 170w, the larger ones I wire direct. Runs off a 70 amp Astron. Conection cables are easy to make and move around. Don't come lose like my MFJ powerstrip and can't be hooked up backwards. I like it so well Santa is bringing me another for my other power supply to power the radios and the rest of the shack. Bye bye MFJ!

W6DKN Rating: 4/5 May 16, 2002 13:28 Send this review to a friend
Very Useful Addition to the Shack  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Since I already used the excellent Anderson Power Poles for all my gear, this item quickly caught my eye (I was already in the designing stage for homebrewing something similar, but for the price of this unit it isn't worth the time, effort and expense).

This is a quality unit - very well constructed, heavy duty, and uses quality parts. It has a lot of nice features, like the over/under voltage monitors, blown fuse indicators, etc. All in all it works as advertised and does what it should.

However, it would have been nice if they designed it to handle a bit more current. It is rated at up to 40 amps per outlet, with a 40 amp total. It uses standard ATC auto fuses - which also limit you to a maximum 40 amp fuse size. But since it is designed as a "master power connect console" you can easily exceed this rating if you run even a modest station.

For example, a Kenwood TS-790 and a 2 meter 160 watt brick amp pulls about 48 amps on transmit - which easily pops the master fuse.

In my case, I run both HF, and SAT gear with brick amps for the VHF/UHF bands, and have a HF rig as well as a 2 meter, 220, 440, and 1.2 gig rig on receive all the time. Additionally, several 12 volt station accessories are running from the master power also. So even when just receiving, I am pulling around 15 amps.

I have since made simple modifications to the unit to allow it to handle a maximum total current of about 100 amps, and all my station equipment is now running on the device with no problems. Other that the max current handling issue, this is a great piece of gear - hopefully the manufacturer will update their next model to increase the total current handling ability.

73 de W6DKN

K2BF Rating: 5/5 Mar 18, 2002 14:43 Send this review to a friend
Excellent value and convenience  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a great product that has introduced me to PowerPole connectors. Henceforth, I will never use anything but these connectors for all my DC power needs. The RIGrunner is an excellent piece of workmanship in every way. It provides visual and audio alerts of overvoltage conditions via a small comparator circuit. There is an internal jumper that can be set to change this to undervoltage monitoring. Underneath EACH of the standard ATC fuses is an LED that indicates an open fuse condition. No more guessing if a fuse is bad - you can tell instantly. Rated to 40A total simultaneous load, however you can install any fuse value in each of the 'extra' 12 positions. (the 13th is fused at 40A for connection to power supply or battery). I experienced a power failure here a couple of nights ago, and in about 5 seconds I was able to unplug the power supply from the RIGrunner and plug in my backup SLA battery. Everything in the shack and the vehicle is now wired with gender-neutral powerpole connectors. (Hint:They also come in lots of other colors and are great for making quick disconnect rotor connectors, etc.)