Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Hy-Gain Hy-Tower 18HT Help

Reviews Summary for Hy-Gain Hy-Tower 18HT
Hy-Gain Hy-Tower 18HT Reviews: 34 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $740.00
Description: 54 foot verticle antenna - been reintroduced

You can write your own review of the Hy-Gain Hy-Tower 18HT.

W7DBR Rating: 5/5 Dec 23, 2009 09:06 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding Vertical!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My new High Tower is only up for a few weeks and I only have 18 radials down (too much snow and mud at the moment), but the performance is already outstanding! Strong, great s/n on receive and I immediately got "big signal 5 and 9 +!" reports from stations I contacted 1000 miles away with only 100W. I can hear stations now on the other side of the world (i.e., Argentina) on 80M that I could never hear before on a G5RV or OCF Dipole at 50 feet. The 18HT "lights up" the SDR-1000 spectrum display with huge, low noise signals! It is also a great pleasure to have a nearly perfect antenna match on 20M, 40M, and 80M simultaneously with no tuner, no stepper motors, and no traps. Background noise is surprising low. I am feeding the High Tower with 150 feet of underground 9913 coax through a DX Engineering feedline current choke.

The performance does come at a cost....$$$, time, and back breaking effort! It requires digging a huge hole in the ground and 4500 lbs of concrete. Assembly of the antenna itself was straightforward. I found the instructions and diagrams to be very clear and the main antenna parts fit together extremely well. I thought it was almost too good to be true until I got to the antenna stubs which were a disaster! The 40M, 15M, and 10M stubs had missing parts and many hardware items with incorrect dimensions. I had to drill out and hand file many parts to assemble and attach the stubs to the antenna. MFJ's "Stub Department" failed while all others are doing a great job.

I am looking forward to getting down all sixty 64 and 128 foot radials, installing a new 1kW amplifier, and putting up the 160M inverted-L wire and trap.

KE5YGR Rating: 5/5 May 16, 2009 21:40 Send this review to a friend
Great vertical, does an amazing job  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Had up for about a month now, alot of work to put one in. Running 30 radials, buried about 2-3 inches under ground. Have probably contacted over 50 countries so far just playing around. Can usually get over the top of the pile-ups with my IC-7700 and IC-PW1 running 1KW....

Low SWR on all bands, needed a bit of adjustment when completed, but got everything tuned. Running the MK160 for 160m, still needs adjustment, will get to that one of these weekends. Antenna runs great on 10m, 12m, 15m, 17m (installed the 17m stub), 20m, 40m and 75m, even works well with an antenna tuner on 6m.
W2YM Rating: 5/5 Dec 15, 2008 16:44 Send this review to a friend
(GREAT Antenna)  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been using this antenna now for 3 weeks and I can't say enough about it. I am talking all over the state's and WORLD. I can't believe the receive and transmit power that this antenna puts out. You can run lower power and people are hearing me 10 over on 10 watts. Put on the amp and well you can just imagine what happen's. The thing is I can't believe the RECEIVE it is JUST GREAT. I work 160-10 and they all work GREAT. I put this antenna together just as it is written in the instruction manual and I am good to go, know extra radial wire's. Big beams might work great but I think I would put this antenna aganist one.hihi.. I give this antenna a 10 wait, only can give it a 5 that is to bad for it works like a (10) Mark W2YM 73's.
WD4LUR Rating: 4/5 Oct 31, 2008 06:32 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna for lower bands  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had two Hy-Towers over the years. The one I have now has been up at two locations. The antenna works GREAT on 40, 80 and 160 (160 with the optional 1kw trap). It also works really well on 20 meters. But 15 and 10 meters leaves a lot to be desired.

On 40 m and down this antenna is a DX machine when installed properly. Which on those bands it is not so practical to have a yagi. On 20m you can still compete, but it is not a 3 or 4 element yagi. However, it did consistently out perform a full size dipole on 20 that I had up.

If you want a ground mounted vertical to be efficient you must put down a lot of ground radials. I currently have 8000 ft of wire down for radials. For what its worth, my experience over the years shows that you need to put at a minimum 60 radials 1/4 wave long at the lowest frequency you want to operate. But whatever your property situation is, just put down as much as you can.

Also, MFJ actually improved the antenna over the old Hy-Tower that I had. Now the bottom mounting plate and top plate are made from stainless steel. I personally like it much better.

I hope this review helps you in some way.

N7UVH Rating: 5/5 Sep 8, 2008 20:15 Send this review to a friend
Best vertical on market  Time owned: more than 12 months
If I was only able to have one antenna, it would be it. I have 3000 feet of radials and if I can hear em, I can work em.. I did need to put up a cloud warmer for 40 and 80 meters for the close nets.
It is a keeper..
K7WK Rating: 5/5 Feb 18, 2007 11:41 Send this review to a friend
80 Meter Performance  Time owned: more than 12 months
Essentially, I used this antenna in somewhat of an experimental mode.

I used an 18HT on 80 meters only (no other bands installed). A custom base (Heavy Duty 'L' brackets) was constructed for 'tip-up' roof mounting. The roof was internally braced to support additional weight, and the tower was guyed to the roof. (i.e. it was not 'free standing' in this installation).

An artifical ground plane was created with four radials, and slightly slanted down. I didn't have enough room to run them out fully lengthwise, so I wrapped them around wherever I could.

Aside from a terrible local static from power lines, this was the best performing 80 meter antenna I have ever used from a small city lot.

The guys at the DX club chuckeled at me when I told them what I put up, but when I started breaking the long path pile-ups, the chuckeling subsided.

It is the antenna that helped me to break 100 DXCC countries on 80.

Future considerations are for a 4-square array. The 18HT is a prime candidate for the vertical elements.
K5WR Rating: 5/5 Jan 22, 2007 14:33 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna on 40-80-160  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had an 18HT up since 1985, used primarily on 40-80-160. I didn't install the stubs for the higher bands but instead added 10' to the mast length and shorted the mast to the tower. This results in a vertical nearly 1/2 wavelength on 40m, 1/4 wavelength on 80m, and 1/8 wavelength on 160m. About 40 random length radials and an L-network with a motor-driven capacitor at the antenna base worked great for years. Presently the antenna is direct coax-fed, and a tuner is used in the shack. This allows matching the antenna across all of 10-160 (I use it on 40-80-160), and it works like gangbusters. (All-band tuning is accomplished by finding the proper length coax using a Smith Chart.) Over the years I've worked DX almost at will with this setup, especially on 40m, where the ground plane isn't as important for a 1/2 wavelength vertical. One note, the proper coax length for all-band matching is more than needed to reach the antenna in my case, so the extra coax is wound into an RF choke at the feedpoint of the antenna... this does a great job keeping RF feedback out of the shack. If you're interested in using a city-lot vertical on the low-bands, this arrangement is hard to beat.
AB3CX Rating: 5/5 Dec 5, 2006 10:55 Send this review to a friend
Nice  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought a used Hytower from an SK estate. It is from the vintage before MFJ took over HyGain. The unit is at least 10 years old, but it is in very serviceable condition. It took me 2 hours to disassemble and load it, and another 3 hours to re erect it on my concrete foundation once that was installed. I am already a vertical fan, having used a Butternut HF-9V for 18 months. The main advantage of the HyTower is the bandwidth. The SWR is pretty flat on 40, and no tuner is needed, even for my Alpha 86 amp with PIN diodes. Same for 20 meters. The antenna tuner is needed for 80 CW end, but one setting carries me all the way from 3500 up to 3600, so once it's tuned, I'm done no matter where in the band I QSY. The shorter verticals cannot do that. It works well on 12 and 17 meters as a non advertised bonus. Set the 15 meter tuning stub to the shortest physical length and it resonates well. I also got the MK-160 side arm with the tower, and used it to great advantage in the ARRL 160 contest that same night the tower went up. I do not have a very effective set of radials yet, but the signal checks show the tower 2 S units below my log periodic on a 1200 mile QSO so I'd say that it's doing well for just 3 ground rods plus a few radials. very solid tower, should last forever. If you like verticals, this is the best one out there right now.
K7UA Rating: 5/5 Dec 12, 2005 14:05 Send this review to a friend
Fine 80 & 160 m DX antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I ran a Hytower in two different locations over several years. If you give it a decent ground to work against it will do wonders. I never had a 75/80m pileup that I could not break. All from a small city lot. I also used it on 160m with a home brew loading coil. Again, superb performance. It works ok on the higher bands, but obviously is not in the league of a beam. I had 1000 ft of radials in my small lot. 30 radials X 33 feet per radial. A truly great low frequency dx antenna. Just don't skimp on the ground system.
WA7SCH Rating: 5/5 May 13, 2005 09:34 Send this review to a friend
Nice Antenna but....  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I put up my Hy-Tower in March 2005. I really appreciated the solid construction ann now that it's up the antenna gets out well.

I only have about 16 radials in now and will add another 16 in a few weeks.

Things went together pretty much as advertised and per the manual. It took me a couple of weekends to get the antenna up and working.

The only problems I encountered were some problem with tuning stub construction and hinge support brackets were missing.
Hy-Gain was quick about replacing the missing parts.

I appreciated their service on this product.

Getting Out:
Seems to get out extremely well on 80 and up. On almost all bands if I hear them I can work them.

Think I'm going to love this antenna for years.