Reviews Categories | Specialized Amateur Communication Products | Ameritron QSK5 Help

Reviews Summary for Ameritron QSK5
Ameritron QSK5 Reviews: 18 Average rating: 3.8/5 MSRP: $359.00
Description: http://www.ameritron.com/ameritron/products.php?prodid=QSK-5
More info: http://www.ameritron.com/Product.php?productid=QSK-5

You can write your own review of the Ameritron QSK5.

W6FG Rating: 2/5 Feb 18, 2007 06:55 Send this review to a friend
Never could get it to play  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I liked the looks of the unit and *theoretically* it should really work great in most all amp-to-radio combinations. But I could never get my Omni V and AL-80B to work QSK despite calling Ameritron several times, going over the manual and trying many different ways of hooking it up to the amp and radio. I solved the whole problem by offing the QSK-5 and buying a Centurion ~ what I should have done in the first place, although I did like the AL-80B... if it only had fast break-in I'd still be using it.

N8KJG Rating: 4/5 Oct 31, 2006 10:25 Send this review to a friend
Works OK...Support was great  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is an adendum to my previous review above. I was able to send it back for repairs and it finally worked well. I think it would be a good idea to replace the two "fuse" type bulbs inside, with a plug in type replacement since these bulbs/fuses blow easily. It would be nice to be able to simply plug a replacement in, instead of having to solder in replacements.

WIRELESS Rating: 3/5 Apr 20, 2006 08:11 Send this review to a friend
Tempermental  Time owned: more than 12 months
These switches work very well but they can take a lot of time to get them there. I used the standalone version for about 5 years with a few different amps. It always took some experimentation. This product should not be considered plug and play except on Ameritron Amps. Even though they are virtually zero changeover time system, I built an external relay box using HC-3 vacuum relays (can hot switch) that switch in about 6 ms, it always works flawlessly. I sold the Ameritron unit and 6ms is fast enough for anything I do.

N8KJG Rating: 2/5 Apr 20, 2006 04:03 Send this review to a friend
Not happy so far  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am unable to get it to work properly so far (two weeks). Manual is VERY poor.
I'm calling this afternoon to see how their tech support is.

W4VD Rating: 5/5 Feb 1, 2005 20:42 Send this review to a friend
smooth qsk  Time owned: more than 12 months
I was lucky enough to find a clean used AL80 with the internal unit factory installed about 15 years ago. It worked like a dream on all bands, no side effects whatsoever, very smooth, very quiet. Wish I had never sold the amp, I used it very heavy (was a dx station at the time) for 3-4 years in pileups and contests as well.

N4LQ Rating: 0/5 May 16, 2004 06:48 Send this review to a friend
Use at your own risk  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This device may work and have many happy users but I am not one of them. The instruction manual is very vague and presents several methods to connect the QSK-5 based upon how your radio interfaces. I connected mine between the IC-756PROII and Ameritron AL-1200. Within seconds, the front-end of the PROII was damaged and had to be returned to ICOM for repair. Did I connect it wrong? Who knows. I sent it back! During several QSO's I mentioned this to the other parties and amazingly, within 2 days I found 3 other unhappy users who had experienced the same results.
If you insists on using this thing, please call Ameritron for instruction on how to interface it with your rig before you buy it then hold your breath when you first hit the key!

W9OY Rating: 5/5 Mar 24, 2004 15:32 Send this review to a friend
Silent QSK  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use this with an AL80B, and a Pegasus or a FT-1000D and it just works. It will do 1500W CW or SSB with a low SWR, without problem but I would not run this with extremely high power or marginal antenna loads. Mine works fine on 10M and below into a well defined load. I have the inboard version of this in my AL-1500 and again it just works. The inboard version has a FET to cut off the tube between dits so the tube runs cooler. I would recommend either this or the inboard version, as long as you run it according to spec and don't abuse it.

As to setting up the "interface" that amounts to a piece of shielded wire a couple of RCA plugs and a diode or 2.. no biggy.

K1ZYW Rating: 3/5 Mar 20, 2002 08:15 Send this review to a friend
Seems to work on most bands  Time owned: months
I bought this when I got the Ameritron 811h amp. Amp is great but this QSK adapter was not a simple plug and play deal. You need to solder up on of several interface units with parts from radio shack.

I needed to call the company tech support to figure out which interface to build... he had to look the info up on a spec sheet. So plan on calling them - they are very helpful though.

It works on 80, 40, 20 but on 15 meters and up it is not usable (at least my unit) because the signals cut out for 3 secs whole the relays reset.

Any other comments or experiences with this?

73's