Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Yaesu FL-7000 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FL-7000
Yaesu FL-7000 Reviews: 25 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $1895
Description: 500-700 watts out. 10-80 meter solid state.
More info: http://www.n4ats.com

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FL-7000.

VA3PUX Rating: 5/5 Nov 1, 2017 10:39 Send this review to a friend
Great amplifier  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought a four button model from a local ham (VA3MPM) and use it with my ICom 7300. Output is limited to 500 watts from a 120 volt socket. There have been no issues short of user error that quickly threw the amplifier into safe mode.

Hopefully Bill will perform his magic on it in Feb. 2018 as my friend is spending time not far from his QTH.

AD4PF Rating: 5/5 Feb 1, 2017 19:08 Send this review to a friend
Great AMP  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is the Second one for me.Sold the first one what a mistake. Bought another one works good the four button one. This amp is so easy to use . I have the band switching cable hooked up to my FT -1000 D The amp follows the radio wherever I go. Makes it's a lot easier for the operator. The amp also has the modifications done by MR Bill N4ATS . If you can find one pick one up you won't be sorry that you did. Billy AD4PF email billyad4pf@gmail.com

W1PDG Rating: 5/5 Aug 27, 2014 08:24 Send this review to a friend
Still loving it.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Have been using the fl-7000 from N4ATS for a couple of weeks and for my ft-1000d I can't imagine that there would be a better match. Using a dentron super tuner rather than the built in tuner and a radio works Carolina windom. Fans are whisper quiet and this thing doesn't even get hot. Using the external alc to adjust the output to around 600 watts on 20 meters works great with the 200 watt exciter. Seeing from 600 to 670 watts cw depending on the band. Band switching works great too with the cable I got from WN2FMM who makes cables for Bill N4ATS . If you want one of these amps get it from Bill. You won't be sorry.

Update 8-27-2014 I just wanted to say that now that I have had more time to use the amp I realize the two speed fan isn't quiet once it kicks into second gear. Using the amp to run a net for 3 hours 2 nights a week and never a hiccup from it. Still loving it!

OD5ZZ Rating: 5/5 Sep 7, 2013 01:45 Send this review to a friend
Great amplifier  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had this amplifier since the 90's but it went to the side with the presence of the bigger AL-1500 , actually I forgot about it , till my AL-1500 needed service and I started to use the FL-7000 again, it is a trusty amplifier , it gives you the 500+ W output , I do not like the tuner side so I use the Ten Tec 238B as an external tuner , but as an amplifier it is a great piece, if you fine one in the market you will not regret having it.

AH6OY Rating: 5/5 Aug 1, 2013 18:10 Send this review to a friend
Buy 2 Maybe 3  Time owned: more than 12 months
It's a N4ATS beauty. Just started taking the amp camping. Amp had set around for 4 years while under antenna restrictions but it's escaped now. Power meter sure jumps to full power quick but that's what's going on working EU from a campsite on the other side of the world. Ran the amp SSB using the foot switch PTT with no problems. WN2FMM listed on Bill's FL-7000 website is making me a couple cables now for my mobile rigs. He originally made me an FT-2000 cable but that radio isn't going camping unless it's a DXpedition.

Anyway the amp works great with no flaws. I believe N4ATS is recondition the amps with a little more power that stock depending on available transistors. Best thing is the amps work best as he says using 120v which generators supply. It's 66 pounds but you get a clean 47v dc transformer making that weight all in one package.

I purchased a camp table made for cooking on one half on a grill works that worked great for adding a fan to keep a cooler breeze across the intake. Amp stayed cool only going 2 fan lights never over heating. Amp kept making a nice clean signal during the 2013 IOTA contest while I could operate. Like I mention in the heading get 2 or 3 if you can since you won't want to be without one if one goes down.

EI4KE Rating: 5/5 Jan 31, 2013 12:58 Send this review to a friend
A dream machine  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Sold my FL2100z and bought the FL7000 to go with my FT2000,,,, Fantastic combo,,, auto band change, no tuning up with a carrier, read up on Bills site, rarely use the internal atu, bought a Palstar BT1500a, made up a doublet dipole fed with 450ohm line and wow, dx can hear me,,,,, all bands icl' 160m, no issues,,, 10/12m on a Sirio cb antenna,,,,,really pleased,,, yes I do like the FL7000,,,,hi

AB3CX Rating: 5/5 Jan 24, 2012 19:42 Send this review to a friend
Fun  Time owned: more than 12 months
I used a Bill Grassa modded FL-7000 back in 2007-8, which eventually moved along to a new owner. Another became available to me again today, it was new 1996, and was last used in 2006. This one is unmodded. I find it works flawlessly. The original band data cable that was sold to be used with the FT-757 is fully functional with the FT-2000. It's really fun to have the amp track bands. I worked VP6T, TN2T and HK0NA pretty quickly with the 500 watts, maybe 1.5 kW is overkill after all....I know the N4ATS mods are fantastic, but don't be afraid of using it unmodded if you are familiar with it and have control of your antennas and SWR.

ZL4IV Rating: 5/5 Sep 14, 2011 03:09 Send this review to a friend
Set the SS standard in it's time.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Some would not think it should get a '5'. I repair these amps often and to see the abuse dished out by hams like full power RTTY etc and survive says something about the Yaesu design. Mine is like the day it came from the shop. Took out my FT1kv and plugged in my FT2kd and it all works, follows my 200w rig around the bands and throttles the output without tripping. BTW I have not done the protection mod in this one. Something like 25 years difference in technology! Age is catching up but as long as you re-do the thermal paste in the finals, don't abuse it you can't get better value for your dollar.

VK4RD Rating: 5/5 Dec 31, 2007 17:03 Send this review to a friend
Superb Amp  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned it for more than a decade. My FL-7000 is the three button model. I have had no problems with it in that time. It performs great.
I read up on Bill Grassa, N4ATS web page and found it very very informative in all aspects of FL-7000 operation. I run it through a 5 element tribander, and when using the WARC and lower bands use it through an SGC239 auto tuner, no problems. The protect system also works well. Coupled with my FT990 I feel I have a good radio station that has served me well in the past and will serve me well in to the future. It more than handles the VK power limit of 400 watts. A highly recommended amp in any radio shack around the world.

73's
Graeme
VK4RD

IK0YKM Rating: 5/5 Oct 26, 2007 05:55 Send this review to a friend
Great amplifier  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I use this amplifier since 2005 with a Yeesu FT-1000-D. It's a wonderful line.
The fans are noisy. It is a good amplifier, very robust and well-protected.
I had to reduce the input power at 90 watts so I working "on air" without auto-protection
Many thanks to Bill - N4ATS for all advices that he gave my.
For now the FL-7000 remains in my shack.
Henry IK0YKM