Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Yaesu FL-7000 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FL-7000
Yaesu FL-7000 Reviews: 25 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $1895
Description: 500-700 watts out. 10-80 meter solid state.
More info: http://www.n4ats.com

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FL-7000.

DK5DR Rating: 5/5 Apr 22, 2007 02:12 Send this review to a friend
A real work horse  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Having used and built tube amps for the past 36 years I wanted to try a solid state amp to run our legal 750W PEP out. After repeated reading of the general introduction of VA7OJ ( What makes a good solid state amp ? ) it seemed that Mosfets like the MOTOROLA MRF 150 were state-of-the-art. So I considered the AMERITRON ALS-600 and the Italian SPE Expert 1K-FA. What made me feel insecure about the whole subject was the fact that few fellow hams use HF solid states except those wealthy plug-and-play guys with the latest ICOM and YAESU amps for $ 5000 up...
But then I ran into this amazing homepage of Bill N4ATS, wow, that FL-7000 appeared to be a real classic piece of equipment.
A few weeks later, the (in)famous German contest-station DR1A threw 4 of them into the 2nd hand market after having used them as pre-drivers @ 200W for contest-work ( now employing 4 brand new ACOM1000 amps )
So I paid the requested $ 1400 and was given a dusty, heavy-weight old lady less instruction manual or any other documentation. Oh-oh-oh....
On the one hand I was impressed by the solid construction and shining beauty after cleaning,
but on the other hand the PROTECT kept tripping whenever 10W drive power were exceeded.
I downloaded the manual from N4ATS and tried to re-align, but without noticeable effect.
Being the shy guy I hesitated to contact Bill who obviously has achieved some status when it comes to the FL-7000.
Much to my surprise though, Bill not only gave me the breakthrough instructions to overcome the difficulties - no, he has cared more than any after-sales-service I ever ran into. This ham spirit is very hard to find these days.
But after having performed dozens of test-runs with the FL-7000, I am not exaggerating when I say:
Without Bill, following the YAESU specs, be prepared for all kinds of surprises.
With Bill, the FL-7000 to me is the best solid state HF amp this sort of money can buy. Now this
FL, costing me 70% of the price when it was new, has turned into a work horse. 600W as per Bill
is enough power ( although you can get more )
Required drive is 20...50W for 160m...10m....

K6SBA Rating: 5/5 Apr 13, 2007 08:26 Send this review to a friend
AN AMP WITH A FUTURE  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
If you are looking for an under-1KW amp, and want solid state, your choices are limited. There are of course the $4K amps from ICOM and Yaesu. The is also the newly approved Tokyo Hi-Power units for +$3K. At the other end of the scale (in more ways than one) are the offerings from MFJ/Ameritron. Somewhere in between is the SGC Power Cube, Tentec Herc II, and finally the Yaesu FL-7000.

I didn't want to spend $3000 or more and I don't trust the low end offerings. The Herc II is a real risk because of the unavailability of the PA finals. There seems to be pretty mixed reviews of the SGC product, and less than complete satisfaction with after sales service.

I guess I am "stuck" with the FL-7000, and am I happy! An FL-7000 that is in good shape AND has been serviced by Bill Grassa, N4ATS, is some of the best $1200-1400 you will spend in ham radio. My particular model was purchased directly from Bill with all of his tweaks and mods. This amp is a super combination with both my FT-2000 (automatic band change with one cable) and my little FT-897 (no cable yet, so band change is manual).

When used in conjunction with a good manual tuner (a Palstar AT1KM, in my case)you have a powerhouse with all kinds of fault protection.

The amp is extremely well built with components that will last a long time was proper operating care. Bill Grassa is available for fantastic support and service.

It has been said that the first 500 watts is what really matters. Busting a pile-up with N8S on 17-meters has convinced me of that.

If you are looking for a low profile amp, don't overlook this aging but still hot beauty.

KE4EX Rating: 5/5 Nov 23, 2006 06:20 Send this review to a friend
# 4 # $ 4 $ Money well spent  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Purchased this used from a retiring ham.
True to his word, not a skuff, scratch, blem anywhere. I run it with my FT 990 and MKV Field.
As they say it's the first 500 watts that makes the biggest differance. How true that statement is. I am getting 500 to 675 output depending on the band, on 75 meters with 1:1 swr and no tuner I have gotten 700+. most of the time I run in th RTTY position, 1/2 power. I have ran it several weekends hard and true. Protection system is absolutly great. I have fallen in love with this little package.

I don't care about operating it with other rigs however, it preformed flawless with my "706MKIIG and Pro-II", Now gone.
Yep $ 4 $ # 4 # she is here to stay.
Thanks

IK4CIE Rating: 4/5 Aug 25, 2006 15:29 Send this review to a friend
good  Time owned: more than 12 months
Purchased used in 2002, now after 4 years of use i can write my review. Positive: the unit is good, well protected, no damage is possible with his very speedy protections. More than 500-600 W out in all bands 160m enclosed.
Negative: antenna tuner extremly slow and meter inaccurate for power and SWR measure.
A good one for no waiting at power-on, small size, automatic band change with yaesu transceivers.
Regards, Vittorio ik4cie

N5TML Rating: 5/5 Feb 10, 2006 13:34 Send this review to a friend
great  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
this unit is a very quiet and very smooth amp as far as my experience with the solid state unit goes. just very smooth...get one you will love it

KR4XD Rating: 5/5 Sep 9, 2005 05:20 Send this review to a friend
Great AMP  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This was my first amp and it has performed well w/Yaesu 1000MV 200w with no problem 500w to 800w is par.Bill Grassa shipped amp well protected.Tuning is no problem with the built-in amp even though I added an external tuner. Great piece of equipment and looks good.

WA3IRJ Rating: 4/5 May 15, 2005 05:47 Send this review to a friend
like it !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Purchased the FL-7000 as a companion to my Ft-767gx. I had some initial issues, with the solid state finals. Buyer beware of used units. But after another cash investment..amp repaired and working fine. Great, clean signal reports on all bands.I can drive it all the way to 750-800 watts. But I fear this may be a little tough on the amp. Had the protection circut fix done..and I keep the max power down to 500-600 watts out. It works well , as long as the SWR is 1.5 or less. No prothection shut downs. I sometimes run in the lower power (300 watt) RTTY mode,in SSB..as it loafs along, and the fans rarely come on. Asside from the initial problems, I find the amp to be a good performer. The ATU even works better than some have reported. Would buy one again. But this time, I would check it before laying the cash down !!
JohnB
KB3LXY

OE3JTB Rating: 4/5 Sep 6, 2004 03:38 Send this review to a friend
Good job  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I owned this pa for 2 months, my TRX is a Kenwood TS-570 DG.
As described below, the TS 570 is no problem, but the problem is a non really resonant antenna.
After I have redesigned my R7000, the pa works great and the slow tuner also.
I also have a FL 2100B, but as same as in my VHF/UHF equipment (BEKO PA), the transistor pa you switch on and work. You have no problems to allign as you have to do with the FL-2100.
I have the first modell, without RTTY switch, but I will buy again one more.

ZS6DX Rating: 5/5 May 6, 2003 01:13 Send this review to a friend
Better than expected  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
After reading the reviews here I nearly did not get a FL-7000, I must say I am VERY happy that I did get one in the end. I believe it is great value for money. It is maybe not as forgiving as a tube amplifier but then no solid state amplifier is. If you use it with reasonable antennas and you do not overdrive it it works 100%. If it trips you have a problem somewhere in your antenna system !, fix it and don't blame the amplifier. I have used the amplifier with more than 10 different radios, FT-990, FT-847, TS-870, IC-746, IC-765, FT-890, IC-706 plus a few older sets, it worked fine with all of them apart from the IC-706MKII, a rig well known for it spike on startup. The IC-706 also had a problem with my T1000 solidstate amplifier. Once the tuner is tuned it is fast, I do not understand some of the complaints I have heard, anyway, if you have a decent antenna you do not really need the tuner.

If I can find a second FL-7000 I will buy it in a second !, it is a great, quiet, cool no hassel amplifier !

WB6MYL Rating: 2/5 Jan 13, 2002 23:49 Send this review to a friend
got rid of fast  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had similar experiences to other reviewers. The FL-7000 did not like non-Yaesu rigs and did not like SWR over 1.5; I bought a FL7000 when I bought a new Icom 781 and the amp would go into default with a 1.5 or higher SWR; did not have this problem with the 922, SB-200 or my 30L1; For me, I have stayed with tube amps; more forgiving, easier to tune; experience was several years ago but recent reviews prompted my own review; I had the amp on two of three days before returning to jobber (thanx to HRO Anaheim for taking it back).