Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Yaesu FL-7000 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FL-7000
Yaesu FL-7000 Reviews: 45 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $1895
Description: 500-700 watts out. 10-80 meter solid state.
More info: http://www.n4ats.com

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FL-7000.

GW3XCR Rating: 5/5 Apr 5, 2013 04:03 Send this review to a friend
FABULOUS AMPLIFIER- GW3XCR  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
HI ALL PURCHASED FL7000 AND HAD BILL GRASSA(N4ATS) TO WORK HIS MAGIC ON IT. HE TURNED IT AROUND IN 2 DAYS AND SHIPPED IT BACK TO THE UK ....WHAT A DIFFERNCE!! THIS WORKS A CHARM WITH MY FT990 WITH AUTO BANDSWITCH USE AN EXTERNAL TUNER AS INTERNAL IS TOOOOOO SLOW.

IF YOU CAN FIND ONE,SNAP IT UP!!

EI4KE Rating: 5/5 Jan 31, 2013 12:58 Send this review to a friend
A dream machine  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Sold my FL2100z and bought the FL7000 to go with my FT2000,,,, Fantastic combo,,, auto band change, no tuning up with a carrier, read up on Bills site, rarely use the internal atu, bought a Palstar BT1500a, made up a doublet dipole fed with 450ohm line and wow, dx can hear me,,,,, all bands icl' 160m, no issues,,, 10/12m on a Sirio cb antenna,,,,,really pleased,,, yes I do like the FL7000,,,,hi

AB3CX Rating: 5/5 Jan 24, 2012 19:42 Send this review to a friend
Fun  Time owned: more than 12 months
I used a Bill Grassa modded FL-7000 back in 2007-8, which eventually moved along to a new owner. Another became available to me again today, it was new 1996, and was last used in 2006. This one is unmodded. I find it works flawlessly. The original band data cable that was sold to be used with the FT-757 is fully functional with the FT-2000. It's really fun to have the amp track bands. I worked VP6T, TN2T and HK0NA pretty quickly with the 500 watts, maybe 1.5 kW is overkill after all....I know the N4ATS mods are fantastic, but don't be afraid of using it unmodded if you are familiar with it and have control of your antennas and SWR.

VE1KCO Rating: 5/5 Nov 29, 2011 17:30 Send this review to a friend
N4ATS mods  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I sent my amp to N4ATS, great turn around and fast. All mods complete and the amp is working great.N4ATS really makes this amp come alive.For the price of a new SS amp I will be keeping this amp for a while.. Again thank you N4ATS for your work...

73s Corey

ZL4IV Rating: 5/5 Sep 14, 2011 03:09 Send this review to a friend
Set the SS standard in it's time.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Some would not think it should get a '5'. I repair these amps often and to see the abuse dished out by hams like full power RTTY etc and survive says something about the Yaesu design. Mine is like the day it came from the shop. Took out my FT1kv and plugged in my FT2kd and it all works, follows my 200w rig around the bands and throttles the output without tripping. BTW I have not done the protection mod in this one. Something like 25 years difference in technology! Age is catching up but as long as you re-do the thermal paste in the finals, don't abuse it you can't get better value for your dollar.

WB2CRN Rating: 5/5 Jun 22, 2011 18:58 Send this review to a friend
Solid, Easy to use Amp!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Purchased a used FL-7000 several months back. I had it sent directly to Bill N4ATS for check out, mods and alignment. It's a wonderful solid state amp. They say the first 500 watts makes the difference and I would have to agree. I consistently bust pileups usually on the first or second attempt now. I am now working DX that was elusive before having the amp. I use it heavily on 20M SSB but I have tried it on almost all supported bands except 160M. I also run it on CW occasionally. I use it with the Yaesu FT-990(with band change cable)and Palstar AT2KD tuner. This is a very good combination for me! No amplifier tune up makes changing bands a breeze. It is very quiet with the first fan and not too noisy when the second fan kicks in (very rare occurrence). I often run the amp in RTTY mode (it's a four button model) which reduces the Vcc and reduces the output power to about 50%. That is often enough to get the job done. I am very happy with the amplifier and also highly recommend Bill N4ATS for mods and alignment!

AK6ZZ Rating: 5/5 Apr 1, 2011 20:04 Send this review to a friend
Great with FT 950  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just purchased a Yaesu FL-7100 from a long time owner who upgraded to an Alpha amplifier. The unit was upgraded with all the major mods from Bill Grassa, and once hooked up it does not disappoint. It puts out a solid 500 Watts across the bands and with the custom data cable both keys and auto band changes with my FT 950. What a combination. It is so easy that the only thing I need to do is to make sure that my antenna tuners are in the correct setting (which I need to do on lower 80m and on 15m). Totally sweet!

K9ALT Rating: 5/5 Mar 11, 2011 16:42 Send this review to a friend
Two Thumbs Up!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
OK...here it is...I got a FT-990 a few years back with the intention of getting a matching amplifier, the FL-7000 was it. I hadn't really done anything in this regard since only a few months ago. Looking...looking...no luck...looking ...then BAM! There it is...Bill Grassa(N4ATS) has two for sale! I shot him an e-mail that afternoon and got a response that evening telling me had one left, with all the mods and on the bench being prepped out for sale. Bill was great, easy to deal with and very helpful with some questions I had about the 7000. I got the amp about a week after I sent payment, carefully unpacked it and hooked it up... then...nothing. Double checked everything...triple checked everything...still nothing. I couldn't figure out what was wrong...I called Bill...he stayed on the phone with me for about an hour till we had the amp going. Now I have an easy 600 watts out(as all you fellow 7000 owners know she'll do more) but we don't push it. I keep it between 500-600 watts and as Bill advises use an external tuner, as the internal tuner on the amp is v-e-r-y slow. The amp matches the 990 perfectly, it's super easy to operate and looks great. So two thumbs up one for Bill Grassa, N4ATS and the other for the FL-7000.

VE7OVY Rating: 5/5 Nov 28, 2010 10:45 Send this review to a friend
Excellant solid peformance  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
When I decided to buy a small solid state amp, i first considered an ALS600 and a Tokyo HighPower HL-1.1K but was put off by the price. So I went looking around.

Purchased a used 4-button FL-7000 that was in good shape for $1200 from a Canadian ham, spent another $100+shipping having Bill N4ATS work his magic to make it better than-new, and am very pleased with its performance for the price. (check out Bill's ratings on the Eham repairs review page and you'll see why everyone raves about his service!).

The amp runs whisper quiet. Quieter than my FL9000 actually! The Fan-1 or 2 led comes on when i talk but cant really notice any difference in sound -have to stick my ear to the top vent to confirm its really on - they are, the fans are so quiet, hearing is believing!

I use it with an Ameritron AR704 amp keying interface "just to be safe" on my Flex5000 and my FT9000C. I consistently get 600w out on 80m with about 40w peak drive.

As per Bill's recommendations I run this amp on 115V, and use an outboard tuner just to be safe (Palstar At1KP). I run it on 115V circuit as Bill suggests and its been fine on a 15A circuit with intermittent SSB use at 600w. I like the fact that its no tune-up (solid state), nice big meters and fairly compact considering its power supply, autotuner & amp in one box.

Its the first amp Ive ever bought and with Bill's excellent refurbishment and servicing, I'm expecting many years out of this older but excellent amp. I'm very pleased with it, with one caveat - without Bill N4ATS, I likely would have spent a lot more on a new Tokyo High Power 1.1KL... I'm very happy with it!

N4WSH Rating: 5/5 Nov 19, 2010 11:34 Send this review to a friend
Short & Sweet  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I'll keep my review short and sweet. I bought my 3 button FL-7000 for next too nothing as the guy who owned it bought a bigger amp. It came with everything as if new, including the dreaded SWR tripping. As others have done, I shipped it to Bill Grassa, and BAM, a sweet amp that gives about 650 watts out with NO issues at all.